Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ming

Christmas hols and in-laws means help with the kids and time to put my feet up and read (a rarity*).

+ Zone One (Colson Whithead) - good take on the day-after-zombie-apocalypse but the survivors should have read Judgement Day to deal with things properly.

+ Snuff (Pratchett) - great to see Sam Vimes back in the saddle.

+ Broadcast (Henry Flint; I'd briefly gone through this little wonder when I first picked it up, but having more time to pore over the drawings and absorb the text was very welcome)

* Last time I read a book was a wet climbing holiday (sans offspring) in October but I managed to get through the mahoosive Hyperion omnibus (Dan Simmons) in a week, so that was fairly good going.

Mabs

Quote from: Alski on 04 January, 2013, 10:59:43 AM
Quote from: Mabs on 31 December, 2012, 03:43:54 PM
Quote from: Alski on 29 December, 2012, 12:12:15 PM
Christmas goodies included Grandville Bette Noir, which is as excellent as the preceeding two volumes.

Also got book 1 of Stuff Of Legend, which was totally new to me. It's a bout some toys whose "Boy" is taken by the Boogie Man, so they go into The Dark to get him back, where they are transformed into real people and creatures. Very bloody good, with striking art, I have ordered the next 2 volumes.

I read the first issue over at comiXology and had no prior knowledge of the comic, well i have to say i loved it! The sepia toned artwork is just stunning! Could i ask you one thing mate- how is the binding and general quality of the volume you have at the moment? I was very tempted to order the first volume but then i read a review saying how the binding was poor and the pages fell out or what not. And i don't think its been released in hardcover. I'd be grateful if you can get back to me; its really high up on my shopping list!

No problems at all with my copy, feels as good as any other softcover and I was not worried about pages falling out of any of that old guff.

Thanks for that mate, I might order it next time!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

radiator

I've just started listening to the audiobook of Temeraire: His Majesty's Dragon.

It's an alternative historical series set in the Napoleonic era, where dragons exist and are used in aerial combat.

I'd heard of the series before and was intrigued by the idea but thought it might be a little dry - but it's really accessible and I'm enjoying it already. It's crying out for adaptation - apparently Peter Jackson has the rights.

Mabs

The Chimpanzee Complex Vol 1-3; Just had it delivered this morning.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

MercZ

I am currently reading Storm of Swords, continuing from the previous two books in that Song of Ice and Fire series. I have been reading them since November and have enjoyed them. I haven't actually read anything related to fantasy in awhile (I've mostly been stuck in either normal fiction, sci-fi, or history for the past year or so), so it is a change from what I usually do.

Mabs

Sandman Vol 10: The Wake. Just nearing the end and what a fine end it is to a magnificent series. There will never be another comic series as fucking brilliant as Sandman.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

shaolin_monkey

Scrambled egg on toast, a bottle of wine, and five vols of Y: The Last Man, from the library!  Does life get better than this?!?

Well, yes, but this'll do for now!   :D

Tombo

Progs 530 to 559 courtesy of E-Bay.  My new years project is to pick up all of the Progs, specials and annuals containing Zenith (either one prog a week or in job lots where available) and then maybe fill in the gaps until I reach Prog 800, which is as far back as the main body of my collection goes for now.  Phase one* of the project is now complete thanks to three job lots of ten progs for just £20 the lot.

The original version of the Project also involved getting the missing stories of Luke Kirby, but this turned out to be just Summer Magic which I got in a single job (Progs 570-579) lot last month.  I just need to pick up the specials and annuals through the year.

*Do you see what I did there

Mardroid

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 10 January, 2013, 08:45:40 PM
Scrambled egg on toast, a bottle of wine, and five vols of Y: The Last Man, from the library!  Does life get better than this?!?

A bit of brown sauce splashed across the scrambled egg maybe.... ;)

Radbacker

Memories of Light, final book in the Wheel of time servies, at last it finally ends.  Ive enjoyed the last two of these that Brian Snderson delivered and about 100 pages into this and its still in the Prolog!!
hope hes able to wrap it up.

CU Radbacker

Mardroid

I just bought that today! I haven't started it yet.

I usually order these things online to save money but decided to buy this in Waterstones instead. (Actually I intended to get it in W H Smiths as they're cheaper but they appear to be out of copies.)

While I find myself wincing a bit concerning the difference in price between Waterstones and Amazon, it felt kinda nice to support a physical shop. And it was still £7.00 of the RRP. Not that I'm intending to get on my high horse about this. I've bought plenty by the web in the past and I'm sure I'll continue to do so. But it would be a shame for these places to die out. As it is I know of three other book shops that closed in Bromley, although one seems to have taken over the current Waterstones premise which used to be Ottakers.

I'll admit a large part of the choice was getting my mitts on the book ASAP rather than having to wait...

von Boom

I pick up Memories of Light yesterday as well. Haven't started yet. I will be both happy and sad to see the series end. I've been invested in this series for more than twenty years.

Dandontdare

Quote from: Mabs on 10 January, 2013, 07:28:06 PM
Sandman Vol 10: The Wake. Just nearing the end and what a fine end it is to a magnificent series. There will never be another comic series as fucking brilliant as Sandman.

yes indeedy. There is a volume 11 too - Endless Nights - a collection of short self-contained stories featuring each of the Endless siblings. Features art by Glenn Fabry and Frank Quitely among others.

Annoyingly (this is one for the Spines thread) my copy is taller and wider than volumes 1-10 so sticks out on my shelf. Grrrr!

GordyM

Warren Ellis' new novel 'Gun Machine' is a great read. Dark and funny (of course!) with a nice central mystery.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

shaolin_monkey

I'm re-reading 'Consider Phlebas' for the first time in 20 years.  It's much harder going than I remember.