Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Colin YNWA

Just finished a re-read of Bone. Wow simply wow, now that is a good comic.

I do follow the common view that the first half is the best. In fact its some of the finest comics I've ever read AND boy have I read too many of them. The second half, more plot driven isn't quite as good but its still an exceptional adventure tale and when it pauses from its breakneck pace it often drops in some wonderful character moments that remind of what it is on other levels.

If you've never read Bone its readily available and one of the best examples of long form comic storytelling anywhere. I simply can't wait until my kids are old enough to read it (I'm already reading bits of Asterix to my daughter YAH!)

Mabs

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 29 January, 2013, 08:47:33 PM
Just finished a re-read of Bone. Wow simply wow, now that is a good comic.

I do follow the common view that the first half is the best. In fact its some of the finest comics I've ever read AND boy have I read too many of them. The second half, more plot driven isn't quite as good but its still an exceptional adventure tale and when it pauses from its breakneck pace it often drops in some wonderful character moments that remind of what it is on other levels.

If you've never read Bone its readily available and one of the best examples of long form comic storytelling anywhere. I simply can't wait until my kids are old enough to read it (I'm already reading bits of Asterix to my daughter YAH!)

Same here! I've put my copy away safely so my boy and girl can read it when older. Its such an awesome comic, with heart and thrills aswell as beauty. There's a moment maybe halfway through which just took my breath away; nothing much happens but its just around six panels where we see Smiley standing alone, sad because he's friend Bartleby has left with the Rat Creatures. Just look at his body language. It immediately conveys a feeling of loss and helplessness, seeing those panels damn near broke my heart  :'(, excellent storytelling at its best, without even a speech or thought bubble in sight. Upon finishing Bone i just sat there, pondering about what i had just read (only Alan Moore's From Hell and a few other comics have had that effect on). Basically its a masterpiece, no questions about it.

Just wondering Colin, have you read the prequel to Bone, Rose by any chance? If not you should check it out. Jeff Smith isn't on art duties (although he writes), but Charles Vess' artwork is still a joy to behold. Its quite a short read (and in colour unlike Bone)but still a nice prequel story methinks.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Mabs on 29 January, 2013, 11:34:20 PM
Just wondering Colin, have you read the prequel to Bone, Rose by any chance? If not you should check it out. Jeff Smith isn't on art duties (although he writes), but Charles Vess' artwork is still a joy to behold. Its quite a short read (and in colour unlike Bone)but still a nice prequel story methinks.

No I've not but I've got that and a copy of 'Tall tales' on my shopping list.

shaolin_monkey

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 30 January, 2013, 08:23:43 AM

I had such a crush on Thorn.  Damn, she was hot, but it feels a bit weird falling for a comic character...? 

Colin YNWA

Quote from: shaolin_monkey on 30 January, 2013, 10:33:58 AM

I had such a crush on Thorn.  Damn, she was hot, but it feels a bit weird falling for a comic character...?

Ellen Baker for me, Buddy Baker's (Animal Man) wife, I had a teenage crush on her. As you say its disturbing and a little weird, but I'll not deny my love!

Mabs

Lol. I think its perfectly fine! I've had a few over the years. My first was for one of villagers hot missus in Asterix, most recently i've become besotted with Kim from the Aldebaran series...damn she is hot, although she is a bit of a nympho!  :D

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Link Prime

Quote from: Mabs on 30 January, 2013, 11:01:44 AM

Lol. I think its perfectly fine! I've had a few over the years. My first was for one of villagers hot missus in Asterix, most recently i've become besotted with Kim from the Aldebaran series...damn she is hot, although she is a bit of a nympho!  :D

As I (sadly) mentioned on another thread, mine was Circuit Breaker from Transformers!
Ohh...I've wasted my life!  :D

Mabs

Oh yes...Circuit Breaker..she is a feisty one isn't she!  :D

My Twitter @nexuswookie

judda fett

Was always Maggie from Love and Rockets for me.

Current reading is 'Sentences, the Life of MF Grimm'. Great stuff and true story about a New York hoodlum MC who was shot and paralysed, illustrated by Swamp Thing artist Ronald Wimberly.

Mabs

Finished B.P.R.D Plague of Frogs 2; and what an awesome read it was too! I am loving Guy Davis' magnificent artwork, as well as the story by Arcudi and Mignola.

[spoiler]Poor old Roger  :'([/spoiler]

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

The Incal. Had it delivered today. Mœbius is a god.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Link Prime

Quote from: Mabs on 01 February, 2013, 06:41:20 PM

That is indeed a fact Mabs.
Congrats on getting your hands on this by the way...

Mabs

Quote from: Link Prime on 01 February, 2013, 08:48:16 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 01 February, 2013, 06:41:20 PM

That is indeed a fact Mabs.
Congrats on getting your hands on this by the way...

Thanks mate. I've been meaning to buy it for a while; if you do grab a copy yourself make sure you get the U.K version by Self Made Hero, and NOT the American Humanoid version as its censored and re-coloured. I know, that tatamounts to sacrilege in my view.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

House of Usher

A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
STRIKE !!!

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: House of Usher on 05 February, 2013, 02:47:55 AM
A Christmas Carol - Charles Dickens
A tad over contrived but it's one of the most reproduced storys of all time for a reason.