Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tombo

"Click to look inside, also roll to save or lose 3D6 SAN"

shaolin_monkey

Did you notice there were three identical copies on sale?  I wonder which will suck your face off?

Mabs

As well as reading At The Mountains of Madness, i've also started Nemo: Heart of Ice, which according to the reviews is inspired by the afore-mentioned. Kevin O'Neill's artwork is so stunning. I wish we could see him plying his trade on 2000ad!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Link Prime

Quote from: Mabs on 09 March, 2013, 01:24:11 PM
As well as reading At The Mountains of Madness, i've also started Nemo: Heart of Ice, which according to the reviews is inspired by the afore-mentioned. Kevin O'Neill's artwork is so stunning. I wish we could see him plying his trade on 2000ad!

Was Prog 2000 really the last time O'Neill graced the pages of 2000AD!
The odd cover wouldn't kill 'em!

Mabs

Quote from: Link Prime on 09 March, 2013, 04:03:02 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 09 March, 2013, 01:24:11 PM

The odd cover wouldn't kill 'em!

Wow. So he did work on 2000ad! I wouldn't have known.....i agree, he should probably do one or two covers again so at least - if nothing else - i can die happy!  :lol:

My Twitter @nexuswookie

HdE

Currently reading through the complete Nemesis The Warlock in COMPLETE fashion. Just getting to the end of book six, and loving every minute of it. Quite a lot of it is new to me.

Also reading through Simon Furman's Transformers epic 'Target 2006', which is great fun, and looks properly gorgeous at times. I was quite shocked to find an episode drawn by Ron Smith!

I'm rounding out my evening's reading with a bit of classic Cabel as well... and dear lord, that is a slog. It's fun, but i frequently feel that my patchy knowledge of the character is letting me down.
Check out my DA page! Point! Laugh!
http://hde2009.deviantart.com/

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Mabs on 09 March, 2013, 09:18:45 PM
Wow. So he did work on 2000ad!

Do you see the tiny potrait of Tharg at the centre of the cover for Prog 1?

Kevin drew that.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Mabs

Wow....that is something!   :D

But to have your art on the cover of the first issue is quite an accomplishment.

Thanks for the pic, Stevie!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Link Prime on 09 March, 2013, 04:03:02 PM

Er... no. He was in the 25th anniversary prog. Still, though... 11 years now!
@jamesfeistdraws

Mabs

Just spotted Dogtanian (from one of my favourite cartoon series growing up in the 80's), in Nemo: Heart of Ice! Thanks Alan and Kevin - that gave me a right chuckle!  :D

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Charlie boy

Mucho Mojo by Joe R. Lansdale. It's been a good 10+ years since I read his books on Hap and Leonard and I recently had an urge to read them again. Mucho is still my favourite. Lansdale is a much overlooked writer capable of dropping something unexpected on you or having you chuckle to yourself with ease.

TordelBack

Oldboy Vol 2, Tsuchiya and Minegishi.  I dunno man.  20th Century Boys gave me hope that I might be missing equally great Manga after a a lifetime of disappointment.  This is exciting and pretty, but the characters are hopelessly childish.  IU'm reading Harry Potter to my boy the moment, and it's infinitely more convincing than 'tactiturn-ciggie-smokers and the virgin-waitresses-who-love-them'.  Still, pressing on thanks to a complete run in the library.

Life and Death in Iron Age Ireland, Various.  I re-wrote the text and produced the illustrations for two of the articles in this book (about projects I managed) and supplied info for two others, and my name appears nowhere.  Good job I had my ego surgically removed along with my spine.  Anyway, most of the rest is good, and the topic is as exciting as this stuff gets.

HTML5 Second Edition, Bruce Lawson and Remy Sharo.  A surprisingly entertaining read, under the circumstances.

Iron Winter, Stephen Baxter.  Third book of Baxter's clever alternate prehistory slams into the wall of the bleak 14th C, and a well-researched Little Ice Age that'd chill your bones even if it wasn't snowing outside.  Excellent stuff, and addresses pretty much all of my moaning about the previous book.

Flavours of Greece, Rosemary Barron.  Strange sort of book, on the one hand providing a clear translation of aspects of Greek cooking that I've found hard to fathom in the past, on the other tending towards an overcomplicated bastardisation of local and international dishes.

ThryllSeekyr

I'm busy rereading Slaine. Just finished Slaine the King, about to start Slaine the Horned God.

sheldipez

Schwarzenegger's Total Recall, and he's just started pre-production on Conan, hopefully this is the beginning of the good stuff.

Mabs

Quote from: sheldipez on 11 March, 2013, 11:14:21 AM
Schwarzenegger's Total Recall, and he's just started pre-production on Conan, hopefully this is the beginning of the good stuff.

Total Recall is one of my favourite Arnie flicks ever; i remember being blown away watching it for the first time as a youngster. I wish we could get more films like this, or better still, have Verhoeven come back and make something as thrilling and satire laden as his perfect sci -fi trilogy (Robocop, Total Recall and Starship Troopers - lets not talk about that other one starring a crispy fried Bacon i.e Kevin - pun intended!).

And its great news to hear Arnie will be reprising his iconic role of Conan! Arnie isConan!

Shit: i think we're discussing this in the wrong thread, sheldipez! :-\ :D

My Twitter @nexuswookie