Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSurfer

Did anyone get any Marvel digital comics with the 700 #1's give-away on Tuesday?

Needless to say it was overloaded and didn't work for much of the day. But a couple of days ago I was able to download everything I tried to get:
Hulk, FF, Avengers, X-Men, Marvel Zombies, A+X, Wolverine and more – about 15 in total.

I do like having some comics to read on my phone. Digital is not my first choice but it's great having a bunch of comics always to hand.

I woke up this morning at 5.30am and couldn't get back to sleep so I read Marvel Zombies which was pretty good lightweight fun with fine art.

Professor Bear

Rapidshare have been giving away free Marvel comics for years, I don't see why Comixology should suddenly be getting the credit for what clearly isn't a new idea.

Nemo: Heart of Ice - brilliant, which should anger the Moore-haters all the more, I imagine.  I can especially see them shaking their fists at Moore using public domain characters and saying this is exactly the same thing as DC did with Watchmen so he shouldn't be complaining, then saying how the brilliant fractured time sequence was just as bad as the keyhole in time sequence from Top Ten that they wish they'd thought of first, and then they'll no doubt enlighten us that the superb buildup of atmosphere as the characters get ever closer to their goal is something taken entirely from Lovecraft or something.
Whatever the reasons for me being completely wrong and this actually being terrible, I found it pretty great, and probably the best of the LOEG offerings for a while now.

Mabs

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 16 March, 2013, 03:48:15 PM
Rapidshare have been giving away free Marvel comics for years, I don't see why Comixology should suddenly be getting the credit for what clearly isn't a new idea.

Nemo: Heart of Ice - brilliant, which should anger the Moore-haters all the more, I imagine.  I can especially see them shaking their fists at Moore using public domain characters and saying this is exactly the same thing as DC did with Watchmen so he shouldn't be complaining, then saying how the brilliant fractured time sequence was just as bad as the keyhole in time sequence from Top Ten that they wish they'd thought of first, and then they'll no doubt enlighten us that the superb buildup of atmosphere as the characters get ever closer to their goal is something taken entirely from Lovecraft or something.
Whatever the reasons for me being completely wrong and this actually being terrible, I found it pretty great, and probably the best of the LOEG offerings for a while now.

I couldn't agree more; i really enjoyed Heart of Ice. My only complaint that it was too damn short! Kevin O'Neil captured the Mountains of Madness brilliantly; not to mention some very chilling - almost literally - moments such as the albino penguins and the terrifying structures of the Old Ones. The fractured time scene was indeed brilliant. Definitely my comic book of the month.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Just finished Red Seas: Under The Banner of King Death, and what a fun read it was too! (you were right Colin!) really really enjoyable stuff. I can't wait to receive my paperback copy so i can read the 2nd series too (for those who don't know, i was sent the hardback version by mistake which just has the first series unlike the paperback version). After that i'll be at a loss though because i don't know if the other series was ever released. I'm loving Red Seas so much that i just want to carry on reading it....

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Basilisk

I've just finished Dredd's First CCF. Cool, vintage stories. Quite funny. Oldie but goldie. Heh... i liked Walter the "Wobot"... and tecnically the "first" epic: the robot revolt by Call-Me-Kenneth... and the next "long story", the Moon Colony Marshall stories.

And the ¿first ever? Dredd story, at the ending... and i thought Dredd, or the Judges in general were tough and all... i see that a part of that first one was cutt off for the "main" series.

Definatelly a good read, and cheap!. The spanish edition is cut in three smaller volumes, way smaller in format(the CCF looks like a giant compared to one of them), and the three ones toguether... cost almos 33 euros... almost £29!.  :o
Ah, Henry Peter Gyrich -- I should'a guessed. Tell me -- do you National Security Council Guys get a cheaper rate buyin' those sunglasses in bulk?

Mabs

Just started I Kill Giants.By the way, how did your reading of Red Seas fare, Hawkmonger?

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Sorry, should've added that prior to starting the above, i read Marvel Zombies v.1by Robert Kirkman. Absolutely fucking hilarious!  :lol:

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Basilisk

I've just ended reading Enni's Battle Britton.

Nice, while short, WWII story. Accurate in the military hardware, talking, tactics, etc... and interesting on its human side. I can say that (almos) no one writes war comics like Garth Ennis. I have to get the 2nd Battlefields HC. I have the first and i love it. The same about his DC/Vertigo War Stories.
Ah, Henry Peter Gyrich -- I should'a guessed. Tell me -- do you National Security Council Guys get a cheaper rate buyin' those sunglasses in bulk?

Link Prime

What kinda comic reading cliche would I be if I didn't pick up the first collection of the very hyped Hawkeye ('My Life as a Weapon') by Matt Fraction?

It's very good stuff, 7.5/10 good, but falls a little short of great. Actually I'll bump it up to 8/10 for the cover designs, which are nicely reproduced in the graphic novel sans lettering.
While you'd unlikely read a better 'Hawkeye' comic, I couldn't shake the feeling that the style of the story could be applied to just about any non-powered super hero / crime fighter.

A worthy punt of 15 quid for a solid hours worth of reading.

Colin YNWA

Interesting to hear your thoughts on Hawkeye Link Prime. I'm a fan of the character and really enjoyed Jim McCann series (all to brief). I was therefore very interested when I heard of his return to a led, but on reading all the interviews with Matt Fraction it just sounded so... dull, so done before. So unHawkeye (whatever I mean by that).

Then I read the fantastic reviews and I'm tempted to check it out, but then I remember that this is a world where Saga is seen as the best comic out there and I reconsider... I'm flip flappin' to say the least on this one!

Link Prime

I get what you're saying Colin.
I wouldn't be the biggest Hawkeye fan on Earth (616 or otherwise), in fact I only ever really dug the character a long time ago in Thunderbolts V1, so will admit I picked this up based entirely on reading those same reviews you have.
Reservations are unquestionably wise in the more-miss-than-hit world of American comics, but considering your normally rock solid taste in funnybooks and fondness of the character, I'd say this is a no brainer purchase.

I'm sticking around for more of it by the way, albeit in trade format.
(The dimension devouring energy field known as The Prime Pull-List MUST be contained)

Colin YNWA

Well damnit there goes another purchase... the trades out now is it...

TordelBack

The Hydrogen Sonata, Iain (if you insist) M Banks.  I'm not halfway in to this treat yet, but is there a series of novels that are quite so comfortable to return to as the Culture?  It's like a warm  blanket and a hot whisky for the eye-brain combo.  I'm loving the sense that this is part of some sort of Divine Comedy-style trilogy, developing the themes of the levels of reality from Matter and Surface Detail, while serving as a sort-of follow-up to Excession, and still somehow being a fine standalone book.  This is Banks at the absolute peak of his game - now please excuse me, I think I'll scurry off to the lav and sneak in another chapter.         

sheldipez

I just read 2000 AD classic Fiends of the Eastern Front and thought it was a very enjoyable vamp romp well worth the £1.70 I paid for it, even though this edition doesn't include the follow up  :(, I much prefer Ezquerra when he's working in B&W, lovely stuff.

Mabs

That looks very interesting, sheldipez.

I really want to read Defoe, so i've planned to hopefully buy both trades next month. Whilst browsing online, another horror strip caught my attention; Necronauts. It sounds absolutely barmy (in a good way!) and something right up my street. So that's my next couple of comics sorted.

My Twitter @nexuswookie