Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Zarjazzer

Judge Dredd Case Files 03. One of the bonuses of the Judge Minty was me wanting to buy this and read the original material it was based on. What a great buy Des O'Connor Block, Sob Story,hordes of mutie spiders, Henry Ford and Dreddy arresting a whole ship of spies. Fabulous reading and b&w art.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Basilisk

Not so long ago: The "Early Victories" Star Wars Omnibus. Nice stuff, but variyng quality stories.

I have quite a few new stuff on my hands, so, sincerelly, i dunno where to start. :lol:

I think i'll end the Hellboy Companion, to the last page. Then perhaps the third trade of Star Wars Legacy:" The Claws of the Dragon". Legacy is quite good. So if Disney wants a decent SW movie, why not ask/hire Jan Duursema and the bunch at DH Comics?. They've made some of the best comics, this way, in general, i've been able to read through the years.

It will be a pain in the a** if finally Marvel gets back the publising rights. DH has done more for Star Wars than the entire Prequel Trilogy.
Ah, Henry Peter Gyrich -- I should'a guessed. Tell me -- do you National Security Council Guys get a cheaper rate buyin' those sunglasses in bulk?

Mabs

I just finished Marvel Zombies 2, which i must say was grest fun - almost as good as Part 1. Just right now reading Billy The Kid's Old Timey Oddities And The Ghastly Fiends of London. A massive fan of Powell so looking forward to seeing how this pans out. Oh and last night i finished Judge Dredd Vol 1 (the IDW one) and contrary to a lot of my fellow readers on here, i must say i enjoyed it quite a bit. Sure there are minor little quirks such as the overuse of "Joe" where Dredd would have sufficed, but i feel the series is an admirable endeavour to get the U.S readership to know more about Dredd. For newbies it could work as a great introduction to the world of Judge Dredd before moving onto the more 'harder' (not to mention cooler) stuff over here!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Basilisk

And just some minutes ago: the FCBD Spanish edition Star Wars comic.

At last, a contructive and nice activity has been copied from the americans: The Free Comic Book day. Today is the date. I went to the comic shop and got my free issue. The Star Wars is basically two issues+some propaganda: one side has the Agent of the Emprire Iron Eclipse 1, and on the other that Qui-Gon Jinn Jedi: Dark Side 1.

I have the trade of Agent since November, so i was really interested in the Jedi. I've found it not bad at all, so i will get the trade soon.
Ah, Henry Peter Gyrich -- I should'a guessed. Tell me -- do you National Security Council Guys get a cheaper rate buyin' those sunglasses in bulk?

malak brood

just finished Lost at Sea, the Jon Ronson mysteries. great writer, brings together many of his articles from the Guardian, funny eccentric and disturbing.....his other stuff, The Men Who Stare at Goats and the Psychopath Test also recommended

Basilisk

Today: finished the Claws of the Dragon SW Legacy trade. Nice. The story unfolds at an appropiate pace. Some interesting or shocking revelations...

[spoiler]Darth Krayt is A'Sharadd Hett, that Tusken-human Jedi from CW... and Moff Calixte is Cade's Mum, disguised...[/spoiler]

I like Legacy a lot. In a few days i will get the fourth one, and so on.

And i'm thinking, if it's correct, to open a "recommendations" thread. This way any user with doubts about a comic series, or tomes, or whatever, could ask there directly. This way we won't mess other threads asking for advice.

It the admins agree, i will open it. ;)

ming

Quote from: malak brood on 12 May, 2013, 10:53:23 PM
just finished Lost at Sea, the Jon Ronson mysteries. great writer, brings together many of his articles from the Guardian, funny eccentric and disturbing.....his other stuff, The Men Who Stare at Goats and the Psychopath Test also recommended

Yup.  THEM was pretty good as well.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Basilisk on 12 May, 2013, 11:12:32 PM
Today: finished the Claws of the Dragon SW Legacy trade. Nice. The story unfolds at an appropiate pace. Some interesting or shocking revelations...

[spoiler]Darth Krayt is A'Sharadd Hett, that Tusken-human Jedi from CW... and Moff Calixte is Cade's Mum, disguised...[/spoiler]

I like Legacy a lot. In a few days i will get the fourth one, and so on.

And i'm thinking, if it's correct, to open a "recommendations" thread. This way any user with doubts about a comic series, or tomes, or whatever, could ask there directly. This way we won't mess other threads asking for advice.

It the admins agree, i will open it. ;)

Yeah, go for it.

sheldipez

Just finished first volume of Nick Spencer's Bedlam which I thoroughly enjoyed; it's the right amount of grotesque but has a good script (unlike something such as Crossed) to back it up. Sad to hear that artist Riley Rossmo has left the series after these six issues due to the old "creative differences" excuse (I would love to know the real reason why) roll on Volume 2.

For something completely different I've started off first TPB of The Mice Templar really enjoyed the first few issues and although I enjoyed the Mignola-esque art it does get hard working out which character we're currently looking at in the big battle scenes (I guess that all mice do look alike).

Image really do put out some great stuff across genres.

Hawkmumbler

The Lost World and shorts by Sir Arthur Conan Doyle.

Up until this purchase I wasn't aware Prof. Challenger had been given a series of short novels following TLW. Intriguing, considering he's now playing off completely new characters instead of Malone, Roxton and Sumerlee, he come's off as an even bigger pompous dick!  :D

zombemybabynow

Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

Trout

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 13 May, 2013, 02:25:14 PM

Up until this purchase I wasn't aware Prof. Challenger had been given a series of short novels following TLW. Intriguing, considering he's now playing off completely new characters instead of Malone, Roxton and Sumerlee, he come's off as an even bigger pompous dick!  :D

Interesting. How readable is it? I'm reading Sherlock Holmes stuff just now and I'm surprised by how accessible it is. I wish I'd read it years ago.

Basilisk

Hawkmumbler

Quote from: Trout on 13 May, 2013, 04:54:37 PM
Quote from: Hawkmonger on 13 May, 2013, 02:25:14 PM

Interesting. How readable is it? I'm reading Sherlock Holmes stuff just now and I'm surprised by how accessible it is. I wish I'd read it years ago.
Vry much so. It's inkeeping with Doyles style and is a worthy addition to the anyone's collection. They are short and to the point, I can see why they haven't been remembered like TLW has, but i'd say they are a tad unfairly discarded.

Trout

Thanks! I'll take a look at them eventually. :)