Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

I recent finished Hungry Hearts. Not bad, but [spoiler]dear me was that a cheerful ending.[/spoiler]

I felt it could have been a bit longer and they could have done more with a couple of characters. [spoiler]I.e. there are two particular characters who were killed off shortly after we meet them and I thought it would have done more for the story to have them hang around a bit longer.[/spoiler] Then again, maybe that would be too predictable?

I'm reading John Lindqvist's short story collection "Let the Old Dreams Die, and other stories" now. I've read three of his novels so I though I'd give this a try. So far very enjoyable and rather weird* stuff.

*Not that this takes from the enjoyment.

Skullmo

Quote from: The Cosh on 17 June, 2013, 05:19:43 PM
Quote from: SimeonB on 17 June, 2013, 12:42:21 PM
Not got to that one yet. Finished "Four Dark Judges" and that didn't disappoint. I skipped on to "The Screaming Skull" (because I just bought a page from that) and it was short, but with a nice twist I didn't see coming. "Engram" is supposed to be a top piece of Roach artwork, so I may go on to that next...
Each to his own, but I find this a very odd way to approach that collection. It's not exactly continuity heavy, but there are some loose strands running through the stories which gradually evolve as it progresses. On the other hand, Shamballa isn't even in it so do what you like!

Should Shamballa be in it?
It's a joke. I was joking.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Skullmo on 17 June, 2013, 05:50:19 PM
Not got to that one yet. Finished "Four Dark Judges" and that didn't disappoint. I skipped on to "The Screaming Skull" (because I just bought a page from that) and it was short, but with a nice twist I didn't see coming. "Engram" is supposed to be a top piece of Roach artwork, so I may go on to that next...
Each to his own, but I find this a very odd way to approach that collection. It's not exactly continuity heavy, but there are some loose strands running through the stories which gradually evolve as it progresses. On the other hand, Shamballa isn't even in it so do what you like!
Should Shamballa be in it?
Chronologically, yes as it was first published between Screaming Skull and Engram (which makes some reference to it.) However, as the only full colour strip up to that point, holding it over to Psi Files 2 does make sense.
We never really die.

Simon Beigh

That's good to know, Cosh. I literally skipped on to "Screaming Skull" because I have just bought a page from it and wanted to know the story. I got distracted today with A.H.A.B. and Meg 335 (catching up with the Megs) so didn't get onto to Anderson.

I enjoyed A.H.A.B. - kind of saw the ending coming - but enjoyable nonetheless.

I'll skip back in Anderson to the next story after "Four Dark Judges". Would you recommend reading Shamballa in PSI 2 before Engram?

klute

I'm taking the plunge and reading Cloud Atlas,im led to believe it's a good book?
loveforstitch - Does he fall in love? I like a little romance in all my movies.

Rekaert - Yes, he demonstrates it with bullets, punches and sentencing.

He's Mega City 1's own Don Juan.

I, Cosh

Quote from: SimeonB on 17 June, 2013, 07:30:05 PM
That's good to know, Cosh. I literally skipped on to "Screaming Skull" because I have just bought a page from it and wanted to know the story.
Sorry, I was just being a bit of a knob there.
Quote from: SimeonB on 17 June, 2013, 07:30:05 PMI'll skip back in Anderson to the next story after "Four Dark Judges". Would you recommend reading Shamballa in PSI 2 before Engram?
It's not essential but, if you've already got the book, I'd recommend it.

Quote from: klute on 17 June, 2013, 07:42:27 PM
I'm taking the plunge and reading Cloud Atlas,im led to believe it's a good book?
I thought so.
We never really die.

Mabs

I'm two chapters into my reading of Daytripper, and all ready I'm just awed by the level of storytelling and artwork by the twin duo of Fábio Moon & Gabriel Bá. That opening chapter just shocked me beyond belief, I felt my heart strings being tugged violently - imagine what'll happen when I read the rest of the book. Wow.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Simon Beigh

Quote from: The Cosh on 17 June, 2013, 11:54:09 PM
Quote from: SimeonB on 17 June, 2013, 07:30:05 PM
That's good to know, Cosh. I literally skipped on to "Screaming Skull" because I have just bought a page from it and wanted to know the story.
Sorry, I was just being a bit of a knob there.
Don't be silly, Cosh. Quite right to point it out if it was going to be a less enjoyable reading experience! I'm holding off on Engram, thanks to your advice, and going back to where I left off before my little diversion further into the book :)

Quote from: The Cosh on 17 June, 2013, 11:54:09 PM
Quote from: SimeonB on 17 June, 2013, 07:30:05 PMI'll skip back in Anderson to the next story after "Four Dark Judges". Would you recommend reading Shamballa in PSI 2 before Engram?
It's not essential but, if you've already got the book, I'd recommend it.

Right, I'll bag PSI 2. I was going to anyway, so may as well get it now...

Mabs

My Twitter @nexuswookie

I, Cosh

Succeeded in a second assault on Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver, a book which I'd previously abandoned halfway through but always felt deserved another try based on its reputation amongst certain other boarders. I'm glad I've read it now. It really is quite remarkable in scope and ambition, although I feel that it's more to be admired than enjoyed.

I suppose the central thrust of the book (and, I assume, its equally hefty sequels) is nothing less than the origin of the modern world. It wanders gleefully around Europe and America across the latter half of the 17th century, sketching in the vast shifts in science, philosophy (and, crucially, the philosophy of science) as well as the upheavals in politics, religion, social attitudes and economic practices. It's endlessly digressive and discursive, forever shooting off into an explanation of improved techniques in silver mining or the composition of European armies in amongst the real big topics such as the evolution of derivatives trading on the Amsterdam stock exchange or the differing philosophical positions underpinning Leibniz and Newton's views of the world. Even beyond this the book is stuffed with footnotes and characters making asides to one another on the best way to shoe a horse or get the best price for ostrich feathers!

Throughout, this is never less than readable.  A couple of years ago I read an interview with Dan Brown in which he ventured the opinion that he saw his main purpose being to educate people, hence his books being peppered with dry facts and figures (not always correct either.) Unlike Brown's leaden, literal prose, Stephenson has a real gift for illuminating even the most abstruse topics with wit and a pithy metaphor. There's a careful attention to epistemological completeness too; the subject of an earlier monologue is frequently used to illustrate something altogether earthier such as taking a shit or severing a man's arm. This talent isn't just confined to academic discourse. His uncouth descriptions bring, for example, the seedy underbelly of Paris to vivid life.

After all that raving, there must be a downside to the book. It's that this is largely all there is to it. There are several entertaining characters, some of them well drawn. For the most part, the sole purpose of the narrative is to get some of these characters to a place where something historically significant is going to happen or where they can sensibly take part in a certain activity or discuss a particular theme which the author wants to introduce. It's really only in the final third of the book that anything approaching a plot emerges. I suppose this is a problem inherent in any historical fiction which tries to tie its characters directly to real events but even though it's often done quite deftly I think - possibly because of the globetrotting scale - it is felt more keenly here than in, say, CJ Sansom's Shardlake books.

Another thing is that it seems to me a step back for the author in the way he juggles story and background. His earlier books tend to speed along like a well-tuned sports car then slam into a brick wall of exposition on Sumerian mythology. With Cryptonomicon, I thought he'd come to a point of perfect balance between these two poles but here that balance shifts book. You could, of course, argue that the sheer volume of information and the historical distance necessitate more explanation.

Overall then, a good book if not a right rollickin' read. It took me a good week to get through it and I think it'll be a month or so before I can face the next instalment.
We never really die.

TordelBack

Astute review there, The Cosh.  The aspects you identify as shortcomings intensify in the third volume, but I have to say I loved the whole lot, Quicksilver in particular. There aren't many kilopage sagas that can make the invention of calculus a source of gripping drama. I am however something of a Stephenson fanboy.

mogzilla

Mabs

My Twitter @nexuswookie

ming

Mikey

^Arf!

QuoteSucceeded in a second assault on Neal Stephenson's Quicksilver, a book which I'd previously abandoned

Yeah, nice review there Cosh. For my money, The Confusion is the best of the trilogy and it's split into more manageable chunks. On a related note, I think Anathem is his best, closely followed by The Diamond Age and Cryptonomicon.

I just finished reading the first Lone Wolf and Cub omnibus and thought it was brilliant. Seemed a bit repetitive at first but I soon got into the swing and it took some nasty turns at times. Some chunky dialogue here and there, but the art is just superb, so full of movement, subtley and energy so I'm looking forward to the next volume.

M.
To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.