Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Professor Bear

Quote from: TordelBack on 01 August, 2013, 01:05:46 PM
Quote from: LorcanQ on 01 August, 2013, 01:00:28 PM
From what i've read of it though, I thought Ennis' Dredd run was mostly crap...

He thinks so too.  However, in comparison to the Millar era, Ennis was the Second Coming of Wagner.

I liked that Ennis was actually trying to write Dredd stories and had obviously read the strip in the past and knew what he liked about it, his only problem was falling short of the mark while he found his feet.

Frank

Aye, Ennis's run on Dredd was like karaoke: not terrible, but it mainly just reminded you how good the original is. The main saving grace of that whole dodgy five year period was the fact that Carlos and his hand coloured art had become the default choice for any Dredd story of any length or importance.

TordelBack

MetaMaus.  Lucky find in the library, and pretty extraordinary stuff.  What could have been a horrible act of autohagiography turns out to be a really fascinating, if ultimately crushing, read.  It's hard not to get ground down by the unimaginable horror of the copious source material, but the insights into Spiegelman's creative development leaven it a bit.  I'm still on the printed part, and I'm not sure I'm looking forward to the DVD of supporting material, which apparently includes hyperlink-annotated versions of Maus and the original interview tapes of Art and Vladek's conversations. 

To give me back the will to live, I'm interspersing this with a re-read of the incomparable Bone, and Colin Greenland's Take Back Plenty, which is not as good as I had hoped it would be.

Basilisk

I've read a lot these days. On the 2000ad front, after CCF5, i'm trough the first Tales of Nu Earth. Good stuff, the rogue trooper tales.

And changing of genre and type of lecture: i've just started "Lone Survivor". The book of the Navy Seal Marcus Luttrell. I've seen that whey're gonna release a movie soon, and i saw the trailer. And since i have the original material for a while, it's time to read it and compare screen-to-page.

So far is nice and touching, but a little too "patriotic" for my taste, type "we are the best", "we do it for patriotism, for America"... and all that. Distracts a little from the soul of the story, but it's not a gung-ho patriotical pamphlet, at least from now.
Ah, Henry Peter Gyrich -- I should'a guessed. Tell me -- do you National Security Council Guys get a cheaper rate buyin' those sunglasses in bulk?

Dragonfly

Have just finished Absalom: Ghosts Of London, which I absolutely loved. Read a review of it and wasn't sure, didn't like the sound of the premise, but now I'm hooked! What really made it for me was the character of Harry Absalom himself, reminded me of an OAP Constantine but funnier! Am I right in thinking this is a spin-off from Caballistics Inc? I've ordered a copy anyway.
Looking forward to seeing more of ol' Harry.

Hawkmumbler

Ol' Harry isn't in Cab's much, certainly not in the first volume anyway, but it's still a corcking series in it's own right.

Dragonfly

Kinda expected that to be honest but am still looking forward to reading Caballistics anyway. I would have gotten around to reading it at some point anyway, so it's sooner rather than later!

LorcanQ

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 02 August, 2013, 01:17:35 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 01 August, 2013, 01:05:46 PM
Quote from: LorcanQ on 01 August, 2013, 01:00:28 PM
From what i've read of it though, I thought Ennis' Dredd run was mostly crap...

He thinks so too.  However, in comparison to the Millar era, Ennis was the Second Coming of Wagner.

I liked that Ennis was actually trying to write Dredd stories and had obviously read the strip in the past and knew what he liked about it, his only problem was falling short of the mark while he found his feet.

Oh by no means am i defending millar's run, hell i haven't even read it, i just meant i thought ennis' run wasnt great for reasons other than it being to violent/obscene as theblazeuk seemes to say...

It's generally quite surprising that millar (especially) and ennis had such a mediocre start on 2000ad and then moved on to be international comic superstars, with some brilliant series written by them (depending of course, if you like Millar). That they didn't show much early promise is bizarre really

radiator

Daredevil: Born Again.

I've never read a Daredevil comic before, and thoroughly enjoyed this - it's easy to forget how great Frank Miller was before he went crazy. Wonderful stuff - brilliantly dense writing from Miller that is just the right side of mental, and superb art by David Mazzucelli.

I recently ordered the Daredevil Omnibus which collects Miller's famous run from when he was writing and drawing it - can't wait!

Frank

Quote from: LorcanQ on 02 August, 2013, 05:25:57 PM
It's generally quite surprising that millar (especially) and ennis had such a mediocre start on 2000ad and then moved on to be international comic superstars, with some brilliant series written by them (depending of course, if you like Millar). That they didn't show much early promise is bizarre really

Ennis thanks his first Editor on Preacher for telling him his first draught wasn't good enough and making him go away and try to come up with something better in the introduction to the first collection. He also credits sound editorial guidance and a supportive working relationship for much of his subsequent success in US comics.

Given the stories we've heard about 2000ad editorial at that time, it's unsurprising that he and Millar were able to get away with firing out strips which were basically just a list of hipster/kids TV references, familiar tropes from the comic's past, and scenes ripped-off from films.

Professor Bear

Quote from: LorcanQ on 02 August, 2013, 05:25:57 PMOh by no means am i defending millar's run, hell i haven't even read it, i just meant i thought ennis' run wasnt great for reasons other than it being to violent/obscene as theblazeuk seemes to say...

It is usually the writers that take the blame for this violent/obscene period, but it's worth noting that during it, the art became more graphically violent and what used to be implied or happened off-panel was now splashed all over the pages.  The difference in writing quality was perhaps magnified by the tonal shift of the era.
Then again, I suppose it's hard to salvage Dredd wrestling a flesh-eating mummy in a vat of human organs.

QuoteIt's generally quite surprising that millar (especially) and ennis had such a mediocre start on 2000ad and then moved on to be international comic superstars, with some brilliant series written by them (depending of course, if you like Millar). That they didn't show much early promise is bizarre really

To be fair to both, you try writing an attention-grabbing comic story featuring characters you probably don't even like or understand, and then try writing it in five pages.  Certainly a brave and bold few have achieved greatness in the space provided, but realistically it's a difficult format.

radiator

Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 02 August, 2013, 06:01:07 PM
Quote from: LorcanQ on 02 August, 2013, 05:25:57 PMOh by no means am i defending millar's run, hell i haven't even read it, i just meant i thought ennis' run wasnt great for reasons other than it being to violent/obscene as theblazeuk seemes to say...

It is usually the writers that take the blame for this violent/obscene period, but it's worth noting that during it, the art became more graphically violent and what used to be implied or happened off-panel was now splashed all over the pages.  The difference in writing quality was perhaps magnified by the tonal shift of the era.
Then again, I suppose it's hard to salvage Dredd wrestling a flesh-eating mummy in a vat of human organs.

QuoteIt's generally quite surprising that millar (especially) and ennis had such a mediocre start on 2000ad and then moved on to be international comic superstars, with some brilliant series written by them (depending of course, if you like Millar). That they didn't show much early promise is bizarre really

To be fair to both, you try writing an attention-grabbing comic story featuring characters you probably don't even like or understand, and then try writing it in five pages.  Certainly a brave and bold few have achieved greatness in the space provided, but realistically it's a difficult format.

Both were in their late teens/early twenties at the time too.

Greg M.

The Ennis and Millar runs are fascinating polar opposites –you couldn't have picked two young lads with more divergent views on 'Judge Dredd'. Putting their work back-to-back just emphasises it further. Ennis is the fan, doing his best, powered by a great and genuine love for the source material, but hemmed in by that very love. Millar, however, is a lover of US comics who knows (or knew) very little about Dredd or 2000AD, and what he does know, he freely admits to finding a bit scary. So his take on 'Judge Dredd' is what he thinks the series is – a story about a cruel, frightening and horrible man who commits acts of ridiculous unfairness but is respected for his toughness. If you can look at Millar's run from a sort of detached historical perspective (something which was impossible during said run) it becomes fascinating – 'Judge Dredd' from the outsider's point of view.  It's hard to shake the feeling that this view of what 'Judge Dredd' might be like wasn't unique to the young Millar – I bet there've been plenty of comic fans who've assumed the series to be solely an over-the-top, parodic, explosions-and-hard-men thing, maybe good for a few chuckles but of no nuance or depth.

Charlie boy

Quote from: radiator on 02 August, 2013, 05:40:55 PM

I've never read a Daredevil comic before, and thoroughly enjoyed this - it's easy to forget how great Frank Miller was before he went crazy. Wonderful stuff - brilliantly dense writing from Miller that is just the right side of mental, and superb art by David Mazzucelli.

I recently ordered the Daredevil Omnibus which collects Miller's famous run from when he was writing and drawing it - can't wait!
Get the Miller/Romita Jr mini series Man Without Fear as soon as possible.

Mabs

Quote from: Charlie boy on 02 August, 2013, 07:50:13 PM
Quote from: radiator on 02 August, 2013, 05:40:55 PM

Get the Miller/Romita Jr mini series Man Without Fear as soon as possible.

I second that, it is one of my favourite Daredevil story, if not the favourite. The thing is you do not see Matt Murdock in full gear until the last pages, but it is still an awesome origin tale. And JRJR's artwork is fantastic. I have the hardback edition, which seems to be out of print or is very expensive, but there's TPB versions out there;

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/aw/d/0785134794/ref=mp_s_a_1_1?qid=1375473675&sr=8-1&pi=AC_SX110_SY190
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie