Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Basilisk

Yesterday was time for some horror stuff. So i read the Breath of the Wendigo. An US/Europe team-up. Mathieu Missofe at the story, and The Walking Dead's artist, Charlie Adlard, at the pencils.

Basically it's about

[spoiler]An American Indian Soldier that comes voluntarilly to fight on WWI, with the American Army, around 1917. Has a sacred mission: to seek and kill the Wendigo, that has gone to France, and it's killing both Allied and German Soldiers. So a rag-tag team of German and Allied troops is reunited, and with the indian in head, they go to hunt the beast. And the rest... you have to read it.[/spoiler]

It's cool to see Adlard outta TWD. It's a very talented artist that can do whatever is needed. Terror with a mystic and WWI flavour.
Ah, Henry Peter Gyrich -- I should'a guessed. Tell me -- do you National Security Council Guys get a cheaper rate buyin' those sunglasses in bulk?

Professor Bear

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 11 August, 2013, 08:07:38 PM
Quote from: Professor James T Bear on 02 August, 2013, 10:37:32 PM
Sometimes I hate being a thicko pleb, as it stops me enjoying the genre-defying genius that is the final few issues of Batman Incorporated

Yeah it must be a shame as having FINALLY got around to reading it is was wonderful. Fittingly a comic with the themes that you have pointed out and seen, yet seem to have failed so miserably to find a home in your heart for

No, as mentioned I found a place in my heart for these themes many times over when pretty much any Marvel comic series between 1980 and 1997 ended with characters walking into an unresolved plot sunset framed by a nebulous tagline in a caption box promising "never the end, True Believers!" and I came away thinking "fair enough" rather than that I'd been a little cheated.  There's nothing new here beyond that Morrison is trying to sell snow to Eskimos - not saying it's yellow snow, but it's still snow.

Dog Deever

My local bookshop has recently re-invigorated it's GN section and I had two old vouchers kicking about so today I snapped up 'Major Eazy - Heart Of Iron' and Self Made Hero's 'Lovecraft Anthology Vol 1'. I've been dipping in and out of them both all evening.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Basilisk

I've been taking a look at the Making of Judge Dredd(Sly movie). I have the pair: both the Art of and this one. It's sad how i feel that the books are way better than the final product. Some discarded scenes concept art(it says "unfilmable"), but people, the scene looks right out of the comics!.

What they wanted to do?. :o
Ah, Henry Peter Gyrich -- I should'a guessed. Tell me -- do you National Security Council Guys get a cheaper rate buyin' those sunglasses in bulk?

Spikes

Ive often seen those Sly Dredd books on e-bay, and ive given thought to snagging them.
I can remember flicking through them at the time, and though its for that film, there was some good stuff in there.

We should have gotten summat similar for the Urban Dredd....

Basilisk

We have concepts, designs.. and that's it. Strange but sad. No Dr3dd's Art or making of book. Who knows in the future... but i doubt it. :'(

Mabs

I currently have these books lined up to read...

http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/2013/08/18/recent-comic-purchases-6/

Haunt of Horror especially looks fantastic. Corben's b&w artwork with greytones is just a visual delight to behold. I honestly cannot think of anyone else who can evoke so much atmosphere and unease via his work....

One thing I like about the book is the fact that the original text from Poe and Lovecraft's short stories/ poems are included at the end of each story.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 11 August, 2013, 08:07:38 PM

Just glorious stuff. Cann't wait to read it all again and get lost in its never ending themes and ideas.

Glorious indeed Colin.
I caught up on several series over the weekend, and the most satisfying read was Batman Inc 13.
An 'as good as could be expected' wrap-up IMO, and some great interaction with Bruce & Jim Gordon.
I loved it.

Also; I got the Morrison variant cover (below). Not too shabby for a scribbler.

TordelBack

Just started Stonemouth, which has an appropriately strong opening. However, the fact that this is the second-last Iain Banks novel that I will ever read makes it a desperately sad experience.  He seems to have been continually in my reading pile since I was in school.  It's a bit like realising you're holding the penultimate issue of 2000AD, something I hope I never have to do.

von Boom

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 August, 2013, 04:28:03 PM
Just started Stonemouth, which has an appropriately strong opening. However, the fact that this is the second-last Iain Banks novel that I will ever read makes it a desperately sad experience.  He seems to have been continually in my reading pile since I was in school.  It's a bit like realising you're holding the penultimate issue of 2000AD, something I hope I never have to do.

I've been holding off reading The Hydrogen Sonata since his passing. I'm going to miss his books desperately.

TordelBack

Quote from: von Boom on 19 August, 2013, 04:47:16 PM
I've been holding off reading The Hydrogen Sonata since his passing. I'm going to miss his books desperately.

The silver lining is that The Hydrogen Sonata is a good'un for a last'un, rounding out the themes from Matter and Surface Detail, but if I hadn't already read it I'd be in the same boat as you.  In his final interviews Banks mentioned writing an outline for a further Culture novel 'just in case', but I sort-of hope it doesn't surface. 

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 19 August, 2013, 04:03:50 PM

Also; I got the Morrison variant cover (below). Not too shabby for a scribbler.

I'm not normally fussed about variants but this one I'm a little jealous of I have to say. I was very impressed when I save it. Has something of a Walt Simonson vibe too it, probably in the inking.

von Boom

Quote from: TordelBack on 19 August, 2013, 04:58:21 PM
The silver lining is that The Hydrogen Sonata is a good'un for a last'un, rounding out the themes from Matter and Surface Detail, but if I hadn't already read it I'd be in the same boat as you.  In his final interviews Banks mentioned writing an outline for a further Culture novel 'just in case', but I sort-of hope it doesn't surface.

I agree completely. No faux-Culture novels please.

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 19 August, 2013, 05:17:52 PM
Has something of a Walt Simonson vibe too it, probably in the inking.

Seemed very 80's Frank Miller to me.
I was quite impressed with it too, as I expected an abstract bat or bat-symbol or something like that.

My LCS was selling this for 25 Euro or 250 'points' (they give you loyalty card points for every purchase, and always offer variants for point redemption), I opted for the points payment, but this would have been one of the rare instances that I would have shelled out for the variant anyway.
Hard to find I've been told, so glad I pre-ordered it.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: von Boom on 19 August, 2013, 05:19:50 PM

I agree completely. No faux-Culture novels please.

So no Neal Asher for you either von Boom?

Sensible man.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"