Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mabs

Reading wise I'm all over the place right now. I'm probably reading three or four books concurrently! There's Concrete Vol. 1 which I'm halfway through. Really enjoying this one, Paul Chadwick's b&w art and storytelling is nothing short of extraordinary. There's an 80's vibe to the comic which I love, not to mention the main character Concrete and his supporting characters.

I've also started Slaine: Demon Killer. This is my first book on Slaine and I'm enjoying it immensely. Glenn Fabry's art is off the scale awesome, and Pat Mills' script is laced with so much humour and drama. I love Slaine's weasily dwarf companion, Ukko! The story is told from his view and that opener was absolutely hilarious! There's some pretty grim imagery on show too, I'm quite surprised how graphic some of it is (although I like it!). Great stuff and I can't wait to carry on. Any suggestions from you guys on which Slaine book to read next would be appreciated a great deal.

In regards to my digital pulls, I've started Locke & Key Vol 1, thanks to the recommendations of Link Prime and Hawkmonger. It's a pretty grim opener, but it hasn't taken me long to get into the story. Right now I'm just marvelling over the artwork, and the story has got me utterly gripped! I love the choice of name for where the action takes place; Lovecraft! Very fitting indeed! There's a very uneasy vibe about the comic, much like Lovecraft's stories.

I also finished Wolves by Becky Clohan. Although short at around maybe 26 pages, it was mesmerising stuff! Becky's script is very poetic, although in prose and there's a haunting feel to her marvellous b&w artwork. I've never encountered an artist who draws a beard as good as her! And the details in her panels, from the tree's, skies, figures and shadows is an unforgettable sight. You almost feel transported to the medieval setting. The story is centred around a huntsman, looking for a werewolf to slay in request of a king. But there's more to the hunter and indeed the werewolf then we first realise. I know Becky has done another short comic called The Mire, I'm looking forward to checking that out too. This comic was going for really cheap at the Amazon Kindle store for only 38p, and it's well worth a look.

Another digital comic I finished was Twisted Dark Vol. 1 by Neil Gibson. Again I bought it for the unbelievable price of only 38p. It was like an anthology of maybe six to seven short stories with a twist at the end of each. I thought it was fabulous stuff! The opening story in particular was brilliant, there was a really sad feel to the revelation at the end, as well as being shocking. Those with kids will especially feel heartbroken by it. These stories aren't neccassarily to do with horror, in the demon or ghost sense. But more to do with the demons which lurk within the human heart. All is not what it seems with the characters on show here, and the further you read you start to realise that somehow these stories are connected to one another, although not apparent at first. The artists on duty in this volume do a terrific job indeed. I understand volume 2 is out already, on this evidence I can't wait to check it out too.
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Theblazeuk

I finally finished off Embassytown - by the end it's pretty bloody good actually. I suppose that the first third of fragmented narrative and obsessive esoteric detail about alien language is needed in the end. The dissonance that makes it so hard to get into ultimately pays off once the half-comprehension that humans + hosts have with each other vanishes, or degrades into something hideous. A world where everything is alive from the buildings to the cameras is well painted and once the stakes become high, the shit hits the fan, and the world practically comes to an end, you can really get into the book.

However if it had carried on jumping backwards and forwards with anecdotes of seemingly tertiary characters without clear demarcation, it would have taken me another bloody month.

Mabs

Oh dear! On top of all the above I've had some more books delivered.....

I don't know where I'll fit these in though!  ::)

(Those were bought for a bargain by the way)

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Judge Brian

Quote from: Mabs on 19 September, 2013, 10:02:09 AM
Reading wise I'm all over the place right now. I'm probably reading three or four books concurrently! There's Concrete Vol. 1 which I'm halfway through. Really enjoying this one, Paul Chadwick's b&w art and storytelling is nothing short of extraordinary. There's an 80's vibe to the comic which I love, not to mention the main character Concrete and his supporting characters.

I've also started Slaine: Demon Killer. This is my first book on Slaine and I'm enjoying it immensely. Glenn Fabry's art is off the scale awesome, and Pat Mills' script is laced with so much humour and drama. I love Slaine's weasily dwarf companion, Ukko! The story is told from his view and that opener was absolutely hilarious! There's some pretty grim imagery on show too, I'm quite surprised how graphic some of it is (although I like it!). Great stuff and I can't wait to carry on. Any suggestions from you guys on which Slaine book to read next would be appreciated a great deal.

In regards to my digital pulls, I've started Locke & Key Vol 1, thanks to the recommendations of Link Prime and Hawkmonger. It's a pretty grim opener, but it hasn't taken me long to get into the story. Right now I'm just marvelling over the artwork, and the story has got me utterly gripped! I love the choice of name for where the action takes place; Lovecraft! Very fitting indeed! There's a very uneasy vibe about the comic, much like Lovecraft's stories.

I also finished Wolves by Becky Clohan. Although short at around maybe 26 pages, it was mesmerising stuff! Becky's script is very poetic, although in prose and there's a haunting feel to her marvellous b&w artwork. I've never encountered an artist who draws a beard as good as her! And the details in her panels, from the tree's, skies, figures and shadows is an unforgettable sight. You almost feel transported to the medieval setting. The story is centred around a huntsman, looking for a werewolf to slay in request of a king. But there's more to the hunter and indeed the werewolf then we first realise. I know Becky has done another short comic called The Mire, I'm looking forward to checking that out too. This comic was going for really cheap at the Amazon Kindle store for only 38p, and it's well worth a look.

Another digital comic I finished was Twisted Dark Vol. 1 by Neil Gibson. Again I bought it for the unbelievable price of only 38p. It was like an anthology of maybe six to seven short stories with a twist at the end of each. I thought it was fabulous stuff! The opening story in particular was brilliant, there was a really sad feel to the revelation at the end, as well as being shocking. Those with kids will especially feel heartbroken by it. These stories aren't neccassarily to do with horror, in the demon or ghost sense. But more to do with the demons which lurk within the human heart. All is not what it seems with the characters on show here, and the further you read you start to realise that somehow these stories are connected to one another, although not apparent at first. The artists on duty in this volume do a terrific job indeed. I understand volume 2 is out already, on this evidence I can't wait to check it out too.

I recently bought & read every Slaine GN. I'm amazed at how many great artists they have drawing Slaine.

Locke & Key is my favorite finite comic series I've read & I started reading comics in 1975.

Spikes

For the umpteenth time, The Last American.
Just glorious. The first issue, in particular. Perfection? Certainly from where im standing, it is.

TordelBack

Quote from: Judge Brian on 20 September, 2013, 04:10:26 PMI'm amazed at how many great artists they have drawing Slaine.

Did you think it... too many?

I'll get me harness.

Sideshow Bob

Just looked at your list there Mabs and you've picked a real bunch of 'crackers'......

Concrete is just wonderful.....I was recommended this by Judge Jack and I love it....Terrific artwork by Paul Chadwick....So much emotion conveyed by a few sparse lines and a great storyline as well ....Highly Recommended...
( If you are looking for more : The Complete Concrete covers the Original ten issue series in one volume...And Concrete Complete Short Stories 1986-1989 is also worth tracking down on ebay..)

Locke and Key are tremendous....I was recommended this by Link Prime and Albion and I think it's wonderful..  Unfortunately the last TPB comes out near the end of this year....I'll be sorry to see this one finish...Highly recommended...

Twisted Dark....is fabulous and like you, I picked up the digital version for about 49pence.....Great value and really good, interconnecting stories...........Well worth a read at that price....Highly Recommended......

Slaine : Demon Killer is marvellous as well....A great read......If I were recommending a follow up to that I'd go for The Horned God.....Artwork and story are both superb....

If you fancy a Crime / Gothic Horror / Fantasy / Supernatural read I would give Fatale a look.....
It's by Sean Phillips and Ed Brubaker and it's at the top of my reading pile at the moment.....There are 3 TPBs out at the moment,  but you'll know by the end of Volume 1 if you want to read more.....I think it's great...

Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Mabs

Yeah Locke & Key is really something. I'm just halfway through reading it, and it's absolutely gripping stuff. The writing coupled with the art is just perfect. Really layered, you have to pay close attention, and there's some seriously creepy stuff going on in there!

Thanks for the recommendation for my next Slaine book, The Horned God it shall be! But first I'll need to finish Demon Killer; really enjoying it.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Mabs on 21 September, 2013, 12:28:45 AM
Thanks for the recommendation for my next Slaine book, The Horned God it shall be! But first I'll need to finish Demon Killer; really enjoying it.

Read in order to get the best from Slaine:

Warrior's Dawn
Time Killer
Slaine the King
The Horned God

Some will tell you that's all you ever need! Horned God is very much the culmination of that first era - there's a wonderful sense of the narrative building towards some almighty conclusion throughout Warrior's Dawn and ...the King, and Horned God delivers on that by bringing together all the ongoing story strands so far, from the very earliest stories, and giving most of them a resolution in epic fashion.

You could read HG in isolation, but it'd be a bit like reading Nikolai Dante's Tsar Wars without knowing any of the characters or backstory that led up to that point.
@jamesfeistdraws

Sideshow Bob

I see where you are coming from there,  Dark Jimbo, but as Mabs has said the 1st Slaine story he is reading is Demon Killer so I still think in order to follow on from that 'awesomeness', The Horned God would be next ( in my list ) as it continues in that same epic view...... Once he has read that and wants more, then I would follow your suggestion.....They are all worth 'several' reads anyway....

The 1st Slaine GN I read was The Horned God and it was so wonderful,  I went out immediately and bought Demon Killer.....I then started with some of the very early stuff but was a bit disappointed with it because I'd already fixed 'in my mind',  a picture of what Slaine looked like ( Bisley and Fabry and in colour) and going back to the really early stuff was very enjoyable but , for me, just not as good...

Like everything else I suppose it has to do with the 1st time you read it, loved it,  and that then colours your opinion from then on in.....
Anyway,  I imagine Mabs will be like the rest of us and once he has read a couple,  will be seeking out the rest.....
And he wouldn't think it too many...
Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Judge Brian

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 21 September, 2013, 12:39:02 PM
Quote from: Mabs on 21 September, 2013, 12:28:45 AM

Some will tell you that's all you ever need! Horned God is very much the culmination of that first era - there's a wonderful sense of the narrative building towards some almighty conclusion throughout Warrior's Dawn and ...the King, and Horned God delivers on that by bringing together all the ongoing story strands so far, from the very earliest stories, and giving most of them a resolution in epic fashion.

You could read HG in isolation, but it'd be a bit like reading Nikolai Dante's Tsar Wars without knowing any of the characters or backstory that led up to that point.

The Horned God was my introduction to Slaine.That was good enough to make me adore it.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 21 September, 2013, 02:51:45 PM
The 1st Slaine GN I read was The Horned God and it was so wonderful,  I went out immediately and bought Demon Killer.....I then started with some of the very early stuff but was a bit disappointed with it because I'd already fixed 'in my mind',  a picture of what Slaine looked like ( Bisley and Fabry and in colour) and going back to the really early stuff was very enjoyable but , for me, just not as good...

Well, quite! Read too much of the later stuff first and it creates an 'idea' of what Slaine should be that might sour the earlier stuff, which would be a shame.
@jamesfeistdraws

Sideshow Bob

Yes, I know what you mean Dark Jimbo.......but as Mabs has already started Demon Killer then the 'damage' is done...... :lol:

Either way, I have no doubt he'll want to read more, regardless of in what order.....All of it is ( mostly ) just amazing stuff....

Cheers

Mabs

Quote from: Sideshow Bob on 21 September, 2013, 03:05:12 PM
Yes, I know what you mean Dark Jimbo.......but as Mabs has already started Demon Killer then the 'damage' is done...... :lol:

Either way, I have no doubt he'll want to read more, regardless of in what order.....All of it is ( mostly ) just amazing stuff....

Cheers

I was given Demon Killer for free by an eBay seller after purchasing Megs from him, that's why I've read it first! I hope there won't be too much harm done though towards the reading order!

And Thanks Dark Jimbo for the recommendations, I'll make a note of those. :-)

Staying on the subject of Slaine, or rather Pat Mills, I read an awesome short story by him in Heavy Metal Magazine (Jan '99). It's called 'The Shadow One: Sha'. The artwork by French artist Olivier Ledroit is simply exquisite. The story is about the spirit of a witch, who was burned at the stakes hundreds of years ago, her soul has found its way into the future,  evolving into an avenging guardian spirit of sorts, helping women and especially girls at time of distress. The thing that made me awestruck however, was the artwork. It immediately brought to mind Blade Runner, Dark City and the works of Giger in its noirish dystopian setting;

I loved it!

My Twitter @nexuswookie

JudgeE1M1RT

Slowly reading my way through the Discworld books (all 5 trillion of them). Also re-reading the Hitchhikers Guide trilogy (of five) once again. Should probably get back to reading American Psycho but I just can't, its just not for me. I don't get it, I loved the movie but I just can't get into the book. Oh well.