Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sideshow Bob

A further recommendation for Ocean by Warren Ellis.............Just great stuff...

For those interested in getting a bit of knowledge,  along with their 'comic fix' try Warren Ellis' Crecy..
Highly recommended...It's about the English battle in Crecy, France in 1346 and the 'shock and awe' tactics used there...
A really great read, and highly informative...
For example,  did you know that faeces were smeared onto arrowheads to ensure that if only wounded, the victim would also be unable to participate in other battles due to blood poisoning ??....Loads of stuff like this....

Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Theblazeuk

What a horrible bunch of bastards we all are.

Of course don't put too much stock in Crecy, as mint as it is - the two fingered salute is not linked to archers of yore, at least according to QI and many other trivia/popular history sources. Still bloody good read and my only regret is that now I've realised I have no bloody idea where my copy of it is, and I suspect I left it in Portsmouth when I moved away. Bugger.

Sideshow Bob

Thanks for that Theblazeuk,
I caught that episode of QI where they denounced the 'two fingers theory' and it's relation to English bowmen, and ........I'm still not completely convinced,  despite Mr Frys' erudite explanation...

Still got to agree with you,  that it is a cracking good read...

Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Mabs

I was going through the back issues of Megs (vol 2 & 3) I bought a while back and one story in particular moved me near to tears; Bury My Knee at Wounded Heart by John Wagner & Pete Doherty. Wow. It left me with a lump in my throat. What a beautiful story. And Doherty's artwork was perfect - especially that opening panel with the old man crouching near his dying wife's bed. If I had to choose my favourite one off Dredd story, this would probably be it.

Magnificent.

Anyone know which Case File this story was printed in? I'm bloody buying!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Mabs on 12 October, 2013, 09:46:30 PM

20 - a diamond among Millar's turds.
@jamesfeistdraws

Mabs

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 12 October, 2013, 10:12:58 PM

:D

I'll be sure to add it to my shopping list next month. Thanks Dark Jimbo! :-)

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Theblazeuk

Hmm probably a better place to discuss this on here somewhere but my favourite story is "A Letter to Judge Dredd".

TordelBack

Caricatures, by Dan Clowes.  Read a lot of this before in Eightball, but it's an excellent collection of complimentary strips, with his bestiary of horrid autobiographical characters moping around to great hollowing effect. 

The Hive, by Charles Burns. X'ed Out was quite freaky enough, but this gave me the willies good and proper.  Unsettling, beautiful, devilishly clever: can't wait to read the final part of the trilogy.

Blue at the Mizzen, by Patrick O'Brian.  The last unfinished voyage of Jack Aubrey and Stephen Maturin.  I've been putting off reading this, the 20th and final incomplete volume of the best historical fiction series ever written, but I had to succumb some time.  Despite a few obviously redundant passages that wouldn't have survived an edit if O'Brian had lived long enough to do so, this is an especially poignant farewell to beloved characters since it is so very, very good.  I turn each page more slowly as I approach the end-that-is-not-an-ending.

Warhammer Core Rulebook (4th or 5th Ed, I honestly can't tell and it doesn't say), by Rick Priestly. Don't ask. The things I do for love.

Skullmo

Quote from: Mabs on 12 October, 2013, 10:29:18 PM
Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 12 October, 2013, 10:12:58 PM

:D

I'll be sure to add it to my shopping list next month. Thanks Dark Jimbo! :-)

It has the Frankenstein Division in it too so you can have fun reading that!
It's a joke. I was joking.

Hawkmumbler

Oh dear Grud! Now that might just be another turd on the pile, but if turds could speak Frankenstein Division would have a voice like Susan Boyle.

I, Cosh

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 October, 2013, 10:05:18 AM
I've been putting off reading this, the 20th and final incomplete volume of the best historical fiction series ever written
<cough> Flashman? <splutter> Asterix!?

We never really die.

TordelBack

Quote from: The Cosh on 14 October, 2013, 11:18:58 AM
Quote from: TordelBack on 14 October, 2013, 10:05:18 AM
I've been putting off reading this, the 20th and final incomplete volume of the best historical fiction series ever written
<cough> Flashman? <splutter> Asterix!?

Even your spasming epiglottis cannot change my heart. 

Much as I love Flashman, Asterix, D'Artangian, Shardlake, Clau-clau-claudius, William of Ockham, Ivanhoe, Uthred Ragnarson, Ayla and Hawkeye, I'd swap 'em all for a few more Aubrey/Maturin novels on my shelf. 

Dark Jimbo

Currently halfway through Far Side of the World meself, and I couldn't agree more Tordelback - there's no one series of books I've ever read that I enjoy returning to quite so much, or a company of characters I feel quite so sentimental about. Aware that I'll only ever have the pleasure of reading this series for the first time once, and once only, I'm really trying to space the books out.

What's an especial pleasure with this one is that, having seen the titular film years before I ever started reading the books, I thought I'd know most of the plot of this one - but so far they've only had one paragraph in common, so it's still essentially virgin territory. It's been another great voyage so far, packed full of incident and interest, although with nothing that quite matches the high comedic heights of the diving bell from the last book, or the edge-of the-seat spy stuff from the same. Reverend Martin continues to be one of the best new additions to the series - it was a joy to see him return for Treason's Harbour (assumed he'd only ever make the one appearance) and again for this outing. Hope he sticks around indefinately, but at the same time I'm braced for a heart-hardening 'unfortunate accident' of the sort that seems to abound in these books. My one real complaint is that I find myself missing the exploits of the characters at home - these long voyages tend to become (naturally enough) a bit of a boy's club, so it would be nice to have Sophie and Diana back to balance that out a bit. And I'm really hoping Jagiello turns up again.
@jamesfeistdraws

Mabs

I'm still going through the Megs...just came across Judge Anderson: Satan. My word - Arthur Ranson's art?!  :o

It's absolutely mindblowing. And that Satan bloke is scary as funt. The ending was slightly weak for this 7-parter, but the artwork (and story at least 6/7 of the way through) was mesmerising. What's Arthur Ranson up to now by the way, can we please have him back for a special appearance in the prog/ Meg at least?

I'm also enjoying the recent Megs I bought on here, those Interrogations are really great, esp. the ones on Siku, Jesus Redondo, Dave Gibbons and Carlos 'The King' Ezquerra.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Colin YNWA

Arthur Ranson has alas retired BUT he has a rather lovely website and a web comic he's using to learn how to create computer art. The man is quite brilliant.

http://www.arthurranson.com/