Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

I am currently working through the last eight progs of 2000AD

Professor Bear

James Turner's Super Animal Adventure Squad, a mix of Dangermouse and John Richardson's mid-80s Jetman comics, I initially passed on this entry in the DFC library because its stablemates - Mezolith and Mo-Bot High - seemed a lot more interesting than a collection of single-page funny animals comic strips, but Turner's Star Cat is far and away my favorite thing in The Phoneix right now so I took a chance on this.  It's mostly amusing with some occasional laugh-out-loud gags, and is solid crimbo prezzie material for all ages, with a heavy overlap with the later Star Cat in terms of silly humour and characters.  A fun read while it lasts.

The first Great Pacific collection.  The intriguing premise of a bratty millionaire trying to settle the Great Pacific Garbage Patch and claim it as a sovereign country is let down by some odd narrative choices - giant friendly octopus, noble savages, one-eyed pirates using the word "skurvy" unironically, ninja hitmen - and an unlikable main character who seems to just stumble from one danger to another which he survives through chance and coincidence as each new story element slides predictably into place.  All of these things could have worked just fine if they were introduced more gradually, but at best they seem rushed here.  I suspect the writer Joe Harris really wants this to be something along the lines of Preacher, but his leads are all blank slates and the dialogue isn't as fluid as it could be.
I really wanted to like this because it pushes all the right buttons for me, being a sci-fi take on real environmental issues, but like the patch of newly-formed real estate it's based upon, it just doesn't hold together and quickly falls apart DO YOU SEE WHAT I DID HAHAHAHA.  Might be a good series one day when they get all the elements in place and take some time to explore the implications of some of the ideas in play, but it's a pretty rough-edged effort right now.

Mabs

I finished Case Files 21 and I must say it was one hell of a read! Really enjoyable stuff. The standout was no doubt the 'Wilderlands' arc, which had some lovely art by Ezquerra, Austin and Hairsine, and I even liked the almost psychedelic colour work too! Wagner's script was top notch, with a brilliant set up on the tenth planet of Hestia, Dredd in cuffs and a raving mad McGruder! The flora and fauna of Hestia was so enjoyable, with Dune Sharks (a wonderful take on Dune's Sandworms - albeit with a more bad ass attitude and teeth!) and the meat eating vegetables and the mysterious Nomens, a humanoid race much like the desert bedouins on earth.  However, the key character for me was Judge Castillo; it was great seeing her develop as a character, and of course the story is told from her viewpoint (much like the recent Goblin King storyline).

Fabulous stuff. And much better than the preceding Case File (20).
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Tiplodocus

Quote from: gavingavin on 20 November, 2013, 06:42:52 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 20 November, 2013, 02:40:19 PM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 20 November, 2013, 01:47:01 PM
D-DAY - The Battle for Normandy by Anthony Beevor.

I'd not read much about the actual battle for Normandy before (though plenty about D-DAY and a new a little boys own stuff about CAEN and FALAISE).

It's heart wrenching stuff with the level of slaughter prompted often by nothing more than sheer incompetence on the parts of the Generals.  Monty, in particular, comes over as a complete and utter twat.

Beevor is a great writer. If you've not read Stalingrad or The Fall of Berlin 1945 I can definitely recommend them. Beevor is very good at keeping his views balanced and realises that everyone loses in war.

I'd like to put a second recommendation in for the Beevor Stalingrad book. Read it a few months ago and was absorbed in it. It is the only one of his books that I have read so would be interested in his others.

I'm even more in awe of Beevor's writing now.  Having felt the mounting excitement as the German 7th Army was being encircled I was then actually pretty disturbed and horrified when it came to the turkey shoot of the Falaise pocket. Like I say, previously I just knew Boys Own type stuff about it but this actively turns the stomach. It made me feel sad for the ordinary German soldiers (as opposed to the SS) caught up in the slaughter.

I'm pretty sure STALINGRAD would be the same "times a hundred" so might not make for a pleasant read in such close proximity to this. I might return to it in a year or so though.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

von Boom

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 26 November, 2013, 12:51:15 PM
Quote from: gavingavin on 20 November, 2013, 06:42:52 PM
Quote from: von Boom on 20 November, 2013, 02:40:19 PM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 20 November, 2013, 01:47:01 PM
D-DAY - The Battle for Normandy by Anthony Beevor.

I'd not read much about the actual battle for Normandy before (though plenty about D-DAY and a new a little boys own stuff about CAEN and FALAISE).

It's heart wrenching stuff with the level of slaughter prompted often by nothing more than sheer incompetence on the parts of the Generals.  Monty, in particular, comes over as a complete and utter twat.

Beevor is a great writer. If you've not read Stalingrad or The Fall of Berlin 1945 I can definitely recommend them. Beevor is very good at keeping his views balanced and realises that everyone loses in war.

I'd like to put a second recommendation in for the Beevor Stalingrad book. Read it a few months ago and was absorbed in it. It is the only one of his books that I have read so would be interested in his others.

I'm even more in awe of Beevor's writing now.  Having felt the mounting excitement as the German 7th Army was being encircled I was then actually pretty disturbed and horrified when it came to the turkey shoot of the Falaise pocket. Like I say, previously I just knew Boys Own type stuff about it but this actively turns the stomach. It made me feel sad for the ordinary German soldiers (as opposed to the SS) caught up in the slaughter.

I'm pretty sure STALINGRAD would be the same "times a hundred" so might not make for a pleasant read in such close proximity to this. I might return to it in a year or so though.

Yeah, Beevor really makes you feel for the plight of the ordinary German soldier. They were just trying to stay alive like everyone else.

Aonghus

I've recently discovered my trove of old Fighting Fantasy gamebooks. Anyone remember these? Playing through one of then now for the first time since I was about 10. Not as huge or as intricate now, 13 years on, as they seemed then but I'm having lots of nostalgic fun.

Mabs

I finished reading Bryan Talbot's The Tale of one Bad Rat; it's one of the most powerful graphic novels I have read. At once, tragic and heart-breaking and yet uplifting towards the end too. The story is about Helen Potter, who as a child suffered sexual abuse from her own father. She runs away from home, first to london where she takes up begging to survive, before meeting a young Geordie lad who has dreams of starting his own band. Due to tragic circumstances she then moves to the Lake District where she meets a lovely couple who take her in, giving her a job. But all this time she funds it difficult to deal with everything as memory of her abuse is so strong. Like most abuse victims she blames herself, but questions why she does so. One of the most powerful moments is wgen she confronts her father about the abuse, it just shows him for the coward that he is. And in a way, it can give her much needed closure so she can move on with her life. The final moments of her sitting near the hill, painting,  just like her idol Beatrix Potter did, is so uplifting and neatly brought a tear to my eye.

And then of course, I haven't even got to her pet rat, and her close relationship with him. The rat is her way of coping with a world which is both harsh and unforgiving, it is perhaps, a symbol of her innocence. [spoiler]And in one act, that too is taken away from her by a cat, who maybe symbolises her father. She even has a nightmare where she sees said cat as a giant demonic creature. [/spoiler] Also Helen's love of Beatrix Potter and her books, which is a source of escapism for her. A lot of chidl abuse victims do this, try to find something which can elleviate the pain, whether through drug abuse, art, music, books, and for Helen, Beatrix Potter is her escape. She idolises the writer, sometimes looking for certain similarities with her own life. Even going to the Lake District, where the writer used to reside and her favourite spots from where she would work.

Bryan Talbot's storytelling is grippingand full of so many truths about child abuse. No doubt he did a lot of research about the subject, but his work is really something else, both his script and artwork, he brings everything alive on the page. It feels so real as to make you nausous and angry when we see the abuse, and move you to near tears toward the end when Helen tries to break free from the viscious cycle of self-blame and guilt. I also learnt a lot of things avout rats which I didn't know, such as the 'rat king' phenomena.

This book is without doubt, a masterpiece. I am so glad I finally read, having known about it for a while.

Thank you Bryan Talbot.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Mabs

Ah, sodding typos. Alleviate, not elleviate. Rushed the post a bit 'cos of the missus shouting from downstairs to come and have tea!  :lol:

My Twitter @nexuswookie

pictsy

At some point I have to finish Game of Thrones.  The TV series is still pretty fresh in my mind and being such a close adaptation the book isn't offering any surprises I just don't feel entirely enthusiastic about picking it up to read.  At least I can leave my bookmark stuffed in half way through and not worry that I may forget the plot or characters.  Double edged sword, I guess.

Gavin00

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Gavin00 on 26 November, 2013, 09:24:58 PM
just started this Legend of the Scarlet Blades

What do you think so far, Gavin00?

Sideshow Bob

Just finished re-reading the excellent Sleeper ( Season 1 and 2 ) by Ed Brubaker and art by the wonderful Sean Phillips....
Great stuff !!!
Spoke to Sean Phillips at Thoughtbubble and he mentioned that the Movie Option for Sleeper has been bought by Ben Affleck and Matt Damon with the idea of making it into a movie......Sean also posted some thing about this on Twitter....
He says he's not getting his hopes up too high as it had been optioned before but it fell through.....I think he mentioned Tom Cruises' company was the first who originally expressed an interest......
Here's hoping though !
Cheers
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Gavin00

Ancient Otter it's pretty amazing beautiful watercolors as usual from humanoids all around great book. The backgrounds are completely immersive,very much so a vivid and epic tale of samurai,rebirth,revenge, and revolution. i highly recommend reading it it is also quite poetically written. 

Link Prime

Quote from: Mabs on 26 November, 2013, 06:58:20 PM
I finished reading Bryan Talbot's The Tale of one Bad Rat; it's one of the most powerful graphic novels I have read.

We're of one mind on this Mabs- an amazing piece of work, and something you could recommend to anyone.
Are you a fan of Talbot's stuff in general?

Mabs

Quote from: Link Prime on 27 November, 2013, 10:13:21 AM
Quote from: Mabs on 26 November, 2013, 06:58:20 PM
I finished reading Bryan Talbot's The Tale of one Bad Rat; it's one of the most powerful graphic novels I have read.

We're of one mind on this Mabs- an amazing piece of work, and something you could recommend to anyone.
Are you a fan of Talbot's stuff in general?

I am Link, sadly though there's quite a bit of his work that I've yet to read. For example, his work on Nemesis The Warlock (and some other 2000ad related work) and Alice in Sunderland.

I have read his Grandville books (which I loved!), Dotter of her Father's Eyes and of course, The Tale of One Bad Rat. He is an exceptional talent, and a fine voice in the comic/ graphic novel medium. I can't wait for his next book, Grandville: Noël!

My Twitter @nexuswookie