Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Legendary Shark

Thanks for the suggestion, it's on the list!

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Apestrife

Quote from: Dandontdare on 07 February, 2014, 10:48:06 PM
I loved Lemire's Underwater Welder, and I've read vol 2 of Sweet tooth - must track down the rest of it, as it was a fascinating concept and a really moving story. I'd not heard of Essex County, but I'll keep my eyes open for it.

Welder is also a great story. Prob. my fav. by Lemire together with Essex this far.

I'm looking forward to see how he finishes his latest story "Trillium". I'm reading some stuff digitally, and Trillium is a bit hard to read that way due to pages being upside down at times. As many other Vertigo books, it'll probably be best read in trade form.

And about Vertigo. Just re-read what probably is my fav. comic ever, 100Bullets. The five Deluxe books.

Took me the whole weekend to get through it's 2200 pages, and even if I'v already read each page 10 times already I still find new stuff about the story and the characters. The details and questions are all over the place in the book, and half the fun is combining them into new ones or answers. It's trippy saga of consequence free revenge reads like a mix between The Wire and the X-files (minus the alien or supernatural stuff) if written by Haruki Murakami.

If Sin city (I only like the first story of those) is noir on steroids then 100Bullets is noir on LSD.

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Apestrife on 09 February, 2014, 01:50:57 PM
And about Vertigo. Just re-read what probably is my fav. comic ever, 100Bullets. The five Deluxe books.

Anyone read 100 Bullets: Brother Lono yet?

Ancient Otter

Quote from: ZenArcade on 08 February, 2014, 09:39:33 PM
Snarky some of that 50's - 70's stuff is amazing. I read a lot of Norman Spinnards stuff from early 70's recently: Agent of Chaos; The Men in the Jungle; Bug Jack Barron and The Iron Dream. All fantastic reads, The Iron Dream in particular - an alternate history wherein Adolf Hitler emmegrates to the USA and becomes a hack Sci Fi writer. :thumbsup:

Did you know The Iron Dream was on the recommended reading list of the American Nazi Party? For prople who haven't read the book yet, don't worry, read it and see why it that fact is pretty funny.

ZenArcade

Oh without a doubt. A layered piece if nothing else. For all you guys interested in Beater try and get his short story collection 'The Dark Side of the Earth.'
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

ZenArcade

Again apologies for the predictive text: Bester not beater!
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

The Legendary Shark

The list expands! Thanks, guys :)

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Apestrife

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 09 February, 2014, 05:59:02 PM

At it. You?

I'm quite enjoying it. Has a more grounded feel to it than most 100Bullets stories. Can't wait to see how it ends the 26th this February!

Ancient Otter

Quote from: Apestrife on 09 February, 2014, 07:23:14 PM
Quote from: Ancient Otter on 09 February, 2014, 05:59:02 PM

At it. You?

I'm quite enjoying it. Has a more grounded feel to it than most 100Bullets stories. Can't wait to see how it ends the 26th this February!

I'm waiting for the trade...

Tombo

II'm looking forward to see how he finishes his latest story "Trillium". I'm reading some stuff digitally, and Trillium is a bit hard to read that way due to pages being upside down at times. As many other Vertigo books, it'll probably be best read in trade form

You're not wrong there, every time I read an issue its like I'm driving a car the way my hands have to twist round all the time.  Good read though if a little dense at times.

Apestrife

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 10 February, 2014, 07:59:02 PM

I'm waiting for the trade...

Best way of reading most of Azzarello's books. Know those who hate the issues of his Wonder Woman but heil the trades.

Quote from: Tombo on 10 February, 2014, 08:28:53 PM

You're not wrong there, every time I read an issue its like I'm driving a car the way my hands have to twist round all the time.  Good read though if a little dense at times.

I hope the way it's read will make more sense once it's finished. Some reason why some of it is upsidedown, instead of just being a reader gimmick.

The Legendary Shark

Just finished "Sati" by Christopher Pike.

I had no idea what it was about when I started reading - a friend downloaded a shedfull of classic sci-fi and fantasy pdfs for me and this was in amongst them. To be honest, I thought it was going to be a book from the first half of the 20th Century and that the author's name had been homaged by Gene Roddenberry as the second captain of the Enterprise (in the same way that JMS homaged Alfred Bester's name in Babylon 5), but it wasn't. There were no aliens, no space ships or lasers; no elves or dragons or orcs or portals to other dimensions.

The story is a quite simple one, at least on the surface. A truck driver picks up a young woman, Sati, and takes her back to his apartment to sleep on his couch. Sati then tells the truck driver and his friends that she is God and that she has come to Earth not as a prophet or a teacher but simply to play.

Although there is very little action to speak of I found this novel to be riveting. It explores subjects such as religion and faith without actually talking about religion or faith very much.

Thing is, there is a lot in this book that I have pondered myself and several times whilst reading it I felt a not unpleasant shiver down my spine, alomost as if Sati herself was reading with me, over my shoulder. Anyone who's been reading The Political Thread will know that I'm in a bit of a weird place at the moment and this book has really helped me to think, relax and even maybe understand myself and my life a little better.

Of course, I'm not claiming any Divine influence or mystic tides have led me to this book but nevertheless it has come to me at precisely the right time in my life to be a great help. Wow - I got tingles!
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

GordyM

Chew is simply getting better and better. Gonna be really sad when it finishes. Still, there's another Poyo special on its way!
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

Link Prime

Quote from: GordyM on 11 February, 2014, 11:18:23 PM
Chew is simply getting better and better. Gonna be really sad when it finishes. Still, there's another Poyo special on its way!

I've had the first 'Chew' trade in the stack on my bedside locker for over a year- tonight's the night.

Mabs

I picked up the recently released paperback copy of Batman Judge Dredd Collection from my library. I've never read this particular crossover so looking forward to it!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie