Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Quote from: Mardroid on 06 March, 2014, 10:51:21 PM
But the amount of sex an nudity is kinda ridiculous ! I'm not complaining at how explicit it is just the Shere amount is really daft.

As Moore himself might observe, is the amount of sex and nudity in any way disproportionate to the amount of violence in those books?   Is it not more a case that we accept and even expect graphic violence, injury and death in our entertainment, but feel sex and nudity should be somehow segregated?  Not saying it has to be to anyone's tastes, but if there's more than one bare bum to every evisceration, incineration or dismemberment across the whole of LoEG, I'd be surprised.

Or to put it another way, it's not that there's too much of matters sexual in LoEG, it's that there's not enough in other fantasy adventure books aimed at a similar -cough- 'mature' audience.

Hawkmumbler

This is the internet. We have no room for open minded sorts such as you.

NapalmKev

The Journey Begins: Dark Tower - The Gunslinger!

I picked this up in 'The Works' (excellent bookshop).

I really enjoyed it. The artwork is stunning and the story moves at a fair pace. The only 'Dark Tower' stuff I've read before was 'Wizard and Glass' (excellent), and 'Wolves of the Callah' (absolute horseshit, I didn't even finish it!).

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

TordelBack

Werewolves in their Youth, by Michael Chabon.  I realise that I've started rationing my Chabon intake, trying to leave at least two books that I haven't read at any time - a strategy that I reserve for my favourite writers.  Happily I'd forgotten about his short-stories, so now I'm rolling about in this collection like a dog in a very dead seagull.  Ace as always.

sheldipez

Currently giving a go at reading (often re-reading) Stephen King's bibliography in chronological order, currently reading Roadwork, one of the Bachman books and one that I hadn't read before.

Think I'll leave the Dark Tower series until very last though, those books where written years apart and I'd have forgotten much of the first by the time the second comes around! Nice to end on his magnum opus too.

von Boom

The Quantum Thief by Hannu Rajaniemi. Great stuff so far. I must pick up the sequel shortly.

NapalmKev

Quote from: sheldipez on 01 April, 2014, 04:07:06 PM
Currently giving a go at reading (often re-reading) Stephen King's bibliography in chronological order, currently reading Roadwork, one of the Bachman books and one that I hadn't read before.

Think I'll leave the Dark Tower series until very last though, those books where written years apart and I'd have forgotten much of the first by the time the second comes around! Nice to end on his magnum opus too.

Roadwork is an excellent book! Have you ever read Rage? I think it's been pulled from sale by King himself, but it's an amazing story, and one the best he wrote as Bachman IMO.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

sheldipez

Yes passed Rage a good few books ago, it isn't available to buy at all any more other than old copies of the Bachman book collections and 'other ways' for digital; it's a shame as its a gripping read but I can see exactly why King doesn't want it out there, there sure is a lot of that could be inspiring to impressionable kids with easy access to guns, I think america has seen enough of that lately.

Mabs

Garth Ennis' new sci-fi horror title, Caliban, courtesy of http://www.comicsandcola.com/?m=1 who first brought it to my attention.  She also sent me the first issue by post for free!  :)

My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

ZenArcade

Just re-read Robert Silverbergs The Man in the Maze and his great teenage novel Across a Billion Years (first book I really read and understood, back in 1977). Two absolutely cracking reads. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Mardroid

The Dark Tower series is possibly my favourite series of novels. Or at least its up there. Thats not to say I like everything that happens in it, but overall its cracking. The comics aren't bad either although largely being authored by different people I question some of it.

Currently  reading:

The Storm light Archive Book 2: Words of Radiance by  Brandon Sanderson. Very good!

On the comic collection front: Marvels.  Story so far: okay. Artwork: wonderful.

Apestrife

Been (in some cases trying) reading some Grant Morrison lately.

Doom Patrol, Flex Mentallo, The invisibles and The Filth.

And I must say, I really enjoyed Doom patrol and Flex Mentallo. As strange (meant in a good way) as they are, I really felt the characters and their stories. While both are big on sadness, they also feel like stories with a big drokkin heart in them. Robotman Cliff asking Jane to Come in out of the rain is comic book magic. Wouldn't be a surprise if the Doom Patrol omnibus will grace my bookshelf this summer :)

As for The invisibles and The filth, I'v tried to read those before. And I'v really tried to like them. But I'm finding it hard. Not only is it the art (where Doom Patrol and Flex Mentallo is beautiful all the way through) but, foremost, the stories themselves. It still (for me) just feels like a bunch of characters who like to dress in leather and say something non sequitur. While I "get" what they want to say, too much of it get's in the way. But I'll probably give them another try since I find it interesting that some seem like their lives turned around thanks to them.

I'v read WE3 (love that one also) some the batman inc, eyed the Allstar Superman and a couple of pages of Big Dave.

Anything else I should dig out? Animal man?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Apestrife on 05 April, 2014, 09:18:13 PM
Anything else I should dig out? Animal man?

Morrison's Animal Man is in my top five runs of all time. So wonderfully imaginative and exciting as so much of his work is, but for me also his most grounded and human work. I adore it.

Fungus

In violent agreement, though this is from memory and the re-reads will be when I get round to it...
Doom Patrol & Animal Man were tremendous.
Invisibles felt very laboured and smacked of someone trying too hard. Not enjoyable.

Mardroid

Runaways Volume 1: Pride and Joy

I found this going dirt cheap in Comixology and it seemed interesting so I decided to give it a bash.

Glad I did. It's cracking so far although it's early days yet.

It's set in the Marvel universe but the story is not your usual Superhero fare (Not that I have anything against that.) A bunch kids discover their parents are suoervilllains basically and decide to do something about it.

I recently finished the afore mentioned Marvels too. I think someone who has read the original stories which serve to backdrop this series would get more out if it. The painted art is beautiful and the story isn't bad. It not great in my view but it does what it set out to do - showing major Marvel events from the POV of a journalist and family man rather than the superheroes themselves, and and the public life reaction- very well. Not particularly exciting in my view but as I said: not bad.