Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Apestrife

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 10 April, 2014, 08:30:45 AM
I'd say it one of those situations were any given title works fine on its own, but you get more from reading the whole bunch.

So you could defo read his 'Batman and Robin' stuff on their own, you could defo read all the 'Batman Inc' stuff on its own, but it does all also read as a complete story.

I suppose the biggest problem with reading all as one is that the start of his run in Batman is for me by far the weakest part (the first arc Batman and Son) and so might be off putting? That's not to say its bad, far from it, just not as good as the rest. I started reading it with Batman and Robin and then eventually went back and bought the trades of his Batman stuff as it goes and that worked a treat for me.

I'v eyed some of the early stuff, and the thing I was most uncertain about was the art in some issues and some of the characters. Faces falling of people and the Bruce Wayne super model girl friend Jez Jet felt a bit off putting. But I'll give it another go. Especially if it'll get some sort of omnibus treatment. So it'll be possible to read it from start to end.

Can't wait for Grant's Multiverse (looks insane) and his Wonder Woman book (due in 2015). I love Azzarello and Chiang's Wondy, and I think Grant will also do some cool stories with her (whom I'm not the biggest fan of outside Azzarello and Perez stories.). I don't read many Superheroes, but the recent WW has been a big guilty pleasure of mine  :D

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: mogzilla on 16 April, 2014, 12:10:07 AM
mars attacks judge dredd

Has absolutely nothing to do with the Iraq War whatsoever. But it's a fun read nonetheless, innit?

As Morrison seems to be the current belle du thread  Stevie can not refrain from adding that he has recently caught up with the Ficticious One & Darrick Robertson's recent Image effort Happy.  This reads like Grant trying his hand at writing a Warren Ellis comic that comes out all Grant Morrison instead & not a million miles from Al Ewing. A treat.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Dandontdare

Since Manchester's main library has reopened after a 4 year refit, the GN section is huge. I picked up several sequential Amazing Spiderman trades covering the Gauntlet/grim hunt stories right up to the first trade of Superior Spiderman - all good stuff. I hated the idea of SSM when I heard about it, but I may pick up the rest because, as several people here have pointed out, it's really rather good.

I also recently picked up the 4 Hawkmoon books by Moorcock for £1.50 in a charity shop - haven't read these since I was a teen, and they're a bit clunkier and more formulaic than I remember, but still rollicking good fun. I may track down the Castle Brass and Elric books next. Corum, for some reason, never floated my boat back in the day as much as the others.

I tried Work Consume Die by Frankie Boyle but didn't get far - I liked the linking storyline about comedians getting raped to death if they dipped below a certain level of fame, but this was interspersed with pages of rather disjointed 'observations' - basically a list of stand-up gags that are just wearying when read together on the page.

Tiplodocus

Quote from: Ancient Otter on 15 April, 2014, 09:48:28 PM
Quote from: Tiplodocus on 15 April, 2014, 12:43:38 PM
CRECY
by Warren Ellis and Raulo Caceres (cover by Felipe Massafera)

An enjoyable enough little tale - not sure how historically accurate it is - about one of the most famous battles between England and France. 

The language is lovely and fruity and the art is lovely and detailed in places (but lacking flair). Much as I enjoy the asides to the reader, I did feel a bit cheated that there was no attempt to make a proper story of it.

Oh and short - 48 pages just whizzes by.

Maybe I'm reading too much into this but I always thought of this as a riposte to 300 (particularly the linking of it to the War on Terror at the time of Crechy's release). 300 - they lose the battle, they win the war, total victory for American democracy according to some fans of the film. Crecy - huge victory at the battle (ala America's crushing of Iraq*) but they still lose** the 100 Years War, England lose their territory on the continent and France as we know it now starts to form.

*I remember one character in Black Summer (a Avatar superhero comic by Warren Ellis) calling the invasion of Iraq a mugging.

**Please correct me if I am woefully wrong on the history here.

Never thought of it like that.  I actually didn't know how old it was.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

Mabs

I'm just about to read The Bojeffries Saga: (bought for just £6.30 from The Book Depository!) I remember reading Richard Bruton's review on the Forbidden Planet blog, and he said it was better than Watchmen, and more funnier than D.R and Quinch. Could it really be? Well time to find out!
My Blog: http://nexuswookie.wordpress.com/

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Mabs on 17 April, 2014, 02:23:55 PM
I'm just about to read The Bojeffries Saga: (bought for just £6.30 from The Book Depository!) I remember reading Richard Bruton's review on the Forbidden Planet blog, and he said it was better than Watchmen, and more funnier than D.R and Quinch. Could it really be? Well time to find out!

Best read with a cup of hot Bovril, of course (you'll see why).
@jamesfeistdraws

Mabs

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 17 April, 2014, 03:40:33 PM

Best read with a cup of hot Bovril, of course (you'll see why).

Lol, thanks for the tip Dark Jimbo, I might pick it up when I pass by Sainsbury's later on!  ;)

My Twitter @nexuswookie

SmallBlueThing

Currently working my way (backwards, oddly) through the 25 issue run of Brian Woods' 'Conan The Barbarian' from Dark Horse. I bought is recent three issue arc on a whim and then utterly fell in love with it during 'the song of Belit' finale. Am now going backwards, arc by arc, and have 10-25. Beautiful comics, that I think would be appreciated by anyone who enjoyed 'Long John Silver' from Cinebook, as it follows a similar High-seas-and-forbidding-jungles approach. By far my favourite Conan series so far, and I hope the standard is maintained with the next reboot, 'Conan The Avenger', coming in a few weeks.

Bookwise, the second walking dead novels is partially, er, devoured, and Ben Bova's latest, 'Farside' sits on the pile beneath it.

SBT

Dandontdare

Me too!  Can't believe I wasn't aware of this before, it's great stuff. Particularly liked the works dinner episode. Har!

Mabs

Quote from: Dandontdare on 18 April, 2014, 09:41:02 PM

Me too!  Can't believe I wasn't aware of this before, it's great stuff. Particularly liked the works dinner episode. Har!

It's great isn't it? Still got a little bit left to read but I've thoroughly enjoyed it thus far. And Steve Parkhouse's artwork is terrffic, he's managed to capture the humour of being both British and yet an outsider perfectly. Is it as funny as D.R & Quinch? Well lets be honest, nothing can compare to the brilliance of that strip but it's pretty damn close. Lovely tpb too with french flaps an' all.

My Twitter @nexuswookie

Daveycandlish

And there's nothing quite like frenchflaps is there?  *nudge,nudge,wink,wink*
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Mabs

Quote from: Daveycandlish on 18 April, 2014, 10:00:09 PM
And there's nothing quite like frenchflaps is there?  *nudge,nudge,wink,wink*

Ha ha! No there's not, Davey mate!  :D

My Twitter @nexuswookie

sheldipez

Up to The Talisman in my complete King re-read, nearing the half way mark and it's been a chore thus far  :(

Theblazeuk

Snow Crash, which is fun ludicrousness. Not sure I'll get what all the fuss is about come the end but it will be fun.

I recently finished The Apocalypse Codex by Charles Stross. A very very disappointing addition to the Laundry series, which perhaps worked better as an idea rather than a running affair. Civil servants vs Cthulu using algorithm-driven rituals was great... at first. This book is like a bad spy thriller, appropriately set in the states and using "Black Ops" secret agents which is like dropping Roger Moore's James Bond into Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy.

Skullmo

Quote from: Mabs on 18 April, 2014, 09:58:24 PM
Quote from: Dandontdare on 18 April, 2014, 09:41:02 PM

It's great isn't it? Still got a little bit left to read but I've thoroughly enjoyed it thus far. And Steve Parkhouse's artwork is terrffic, he's managed to capture the humour of being both British and yet an outsider perfectly. Is it as funny as D.R & Quinch? Well lets be honest, nothing can compare to the brilliance of that strip but it's pretty damn close. Lovely tpb too with french flaps an' all.

I am currently reading this as well - cracking stuff. i am a huge fan of Steve Parkhouse's work and would love to see him back in the Prog. Not sure it is as good as watchmen though, I gess it depends on what you like!
It's a joke. I was joking.