Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hawkmumbler

Strangers in Paradise has been on my wish list for sometime. Just bumped it up a few places more.

Mardroid

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 02 June, 2014, 08:23:23 PM
Just finished The Eye of the World, book 1 of the Wheel of Time.

I devoured the thing. So what if it shamelessly rips off Lord of the Rings (right down to the Mines of Moria)? It's what-it-says-on-the-tin escapist nonsense; Barbara Cartland for Geeks. I suspect it may drag on across the next 14 books, but I'm happy to find out.
[/quote

It before a very different thing to Lord Of the Rings very quickly... And much as I like LotR, this is a good thing.

CrazyFoxMachine

Interesting curio arrived today from somewhere or other -

"Dredd: Metal Fatigue" a Fleetway reprint from '91 - with a few seemingly random "robot-focussed" stories in it - Phantom of the Shopera etc - recoloured quite nicely by one Damon Willis. Anyone know any more about this?

Frank

Only that they were early nineties Fleetway reprints which were advertised in the prog. I think they were what Fleetway produced when Titan stopped doing volumes called Judge Dredd 1, Judge Dredd 2, Judge Dredd 3, etc. I suppose the 'theme' was an attempt to cater to the graphic novel thing that was popular a few years previously, rather than just saying here's a bunch of stories you might like.

von Boom

Currently reading:

Wallace and Gromit: The Complete Newspaper Comic Strip Collection Volume 1: 2010-2011. Not as good as the films, but still fun stuff.

Wallace and Gromit: Cracking Contraptions 1 & 2. Fun look at those wonderful claymation gadgets.

Apestrife

I just finished Grant Morrison's Bat-epic. While not the best story I'v read, it certainly was very interesting and NEVER boring  :D

Even if a bit wonky told at times (Final crisis and Return of Bruce Wayne especially being a bit complicated to fit in on the overall story) I think it's really cool how well it read, no matter how much stuff Morrison threw at me in the pages. Wouldn't mind 2-3 Omnibuses collecting everything.

Thanks to this I'm very much looking forward to read his upcoming Wonder Woman story. 

Colin YNWA

CBR's Comic's should be good just finished a top 75 writers and artists list (top 40 artists, top 35 writers) and I was mighty pleased to see how high Grant Morrison was on the list, coming in at number 4.

http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2014/06/06/75-greatest-batman-writers-and-artists-master-list/

When you consider who topped him that's about as high as he could have realistically placed. Now he has modernity on his side so it'd be interesting to see where he settles in a few years but I think its a brilliant run. One that just kept getting better and better as it went on. I didn't think it had found quite the appeal this poll suggests it had though as I thought it was more hit and miss in the way people took to it (not with me but generally). Can't wait to get to my planned re-read, though I will have to some way down my to read list alas.

Of course that Alan Grant (no. 8) and Norm Breyfogle (no. 5) didn't top their respective list is of course an utter travesty as, like at least one other board member I can think of, its for me the definitive Batman run and quite, quite superb!

Apestrife

Really feels like a Batman tale that'll grow with every reading. While I thought the story at times was a bit to casual about showing torture or the killing of prostitutes, I loved the pulpy and insane elements of it. The zur-en-arrh stuff is nothing short of brilliant, realizing that it was all there from the beginning!

Hope the Absolute versions Batman and Robin and Batman Inc (out this Dec.) will see more reasonable sized releases (size, not page count) someday. Time and Batman and Return of Bruce Wayne should get collected together also, a bit like Batman & Son and Black glove did (who should be collected with RIP)...

But yeah, enough of my wish thinking about being able to make my shelf looking nicer ;)

I definitely think Grant Morrison will score higher on lists in the future. I also hope/think Azzarello, his Knight of vengeance and Joker got some serious and fascinating sadness to them. And I can't wait to see what he'll do with his and Bermejo's upcoming Catwoman book.

GordyM

Sex Criminals: a f'd up thrill ride of a comic that's as dirty as it is fun. Queen sing-a-longs, dildo fights, poo-based revenge on arsehole bosses (no pun intended) - it's like nothing else out there.
Check out my new comic Supermom: Expecting Trouble and see how a pregnant superhero tries to deal with the fact that the baby's father is her archnemesis. Free preview pack including 12 pages of art: http://www.mediafire.com/file/57986rnlgk0itfz/Supermom_Preview_Pack.pdf/file

Link Prime

Quote from: GordyM on 02 July, 2014, 12:46:38 PM
Sex Criminals: a f'd up thrill ride of a comic that's as dirty as it is fun. Queen sing-a-longs, dildo fights, poo-based revenge on arsehole bosses (no pun intended) - it's like nothing else out there.

Have to agree Gordy.
I picked up the 1st trade for under a tenner recently, and am halfway through.
Very witty stuff.

Professor Bear

Checked out the micro-run of DC's Green Team: Teen Trillionaires, and like pretty much the entirety of the New 52 experiment, it's a patchy, flip-flopping mess of potentially good ideas and interesting characters scuppered by paper-thin execution and an almost palpable lack of commitment or focus.  There's the odd glint of something fantastic, but mostly it's just stuff that happens, and then it stops - on a cliffhanger, no less.  It's clearly the work of competent and talented chaps, but that doesn't save it.

Aldus Huxley's Brave New World, an interesting and still-relevant allegory about a man who believes in the potential of human ambition encountering a modern consumer state in which waste is celebrated and being destroyed by it.  In many ways, John Savage is an anachronism in the World State for the same reasons he's an anachronism to our own modern capitalist society of 2014, as he believes in the concepts of sincerity and human dignity despite - or perhaps because of - his inability to fathom the gulf between the fiction of the books he's read and the reality he encounters when he leaves his reservation, but the problem in the central allegory - for me, at least - is that John Savage is clearly a twat.

Minna Sundberg's Stand Still, Stay Safe, a post-apocalyptic webcomic based in the author's native Finland.  Sundberg wrote and illustrated the equally gorgeous-looking 560-page A Redtail's Dream as a warm-up project for this, and clearly intends that this time s/he (?) isn't interested in anything that brief, as after 135 pages it still hasn't seemed to have started yet.  Still - a great-looking comic even if I got a bit lost trying to tell some of the characters apart in the early chapters.

Colin YNWA

Well the footie might as well be over so I have time to say this.

ALWAYS READ THE BOOK FIRST!

Just finished 'True Grit'. I'd never realised prior to the Coen's movie that the book was so well regarded. Anyway four years later I stumble across a copy dirt cheap in The Works and give it a go. Wow its a great book. In the introduction Donna Tarit relates comparisons made to Huck Finn. Now don't get me wrong the book is clearly not as good as Mark Twain's classic but I get the comparisons. It really is a very good book.

BUT

I've seen and love the movie but it swamps the book. Its such a close adaption that I can't shake it. I really do wonder how much more I'd have loved it if Jeff Bridges, Hailee Steinfeld, Matt Damon et al were stamped so clearly in my mind.

Mardroid

Mr Mercedes by Stephen King.

A bit different to his usual stuff as it's a detective story with no supernatural elements (so far anyway). While I love my supernatural horror /fantasy this is an intriguing interesting read so far.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 08 July, 2014, 09:58:53 PM
ALWAYS READ THE BOOK FIRST!

Just finished 'True Grit'
I've never read it, but the last line is amazing.
We never really die.

Theblazeuk

Quote from: Professor Theopolis K Bear on 02 July, 2014, 02:21:45 PM
Minna Sundberg's Stand Still, Stay Safe, a post-apocalyptic webcomic based in the author's native Finland.  Sundberg wrote and illustrated the equally gorgeous-looking 560-page A Redtail's Dream as a warm-up project for this, and clearly intends that this time s/he (?) isn't interested in anything that brief, as after 135 pages it still hasn't seemed to have started yet.  Still - a great-looking comic even if I got a bit lost trying to tell some of the characters apart in the early chapters.

I'm enjoying this but I'm still waiting for the payoff on introducing all those characters at the start, before the plague really got underway. Not a big fan of time skips of that magnitude.