Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

There is one line about Dumas and Remiel in Ennis's Hellblazer, and one line about how he was there waiting when the Morningstar was cast down (think the succubus says it?).

Link Prime

Quote from: Max Headroom on 08 February, 2015, 07:47:17 AM
Who is the one true Devil? Perhaps someone more learned than I can explain?

I'm no more learned than the next, but I will say this; any DC comic characters that appear in The Sandman are likely not part of the same shared universe / continuity outside that particular comic.

As far as I recall, Lucifer and Hellblazer have never distinctly crossed-over, but both have featured in The Sandman (the former being a direct spin-off from Gaiman's series).

Colin YNWA

Get this months Multiversity Guidebook. GMozz (and Rian Hughes ex of Tharg's pastures) have put together a map of the DC Multiverse and they have the various incarnations of hell in there (and Sandman's Dreaming) all existing at different frequencies within a shared multiverse.

Its a typically elegant way for GMozz to continue to ensure that everything has happened, can live together in a comic universe of preposterous scale.

Edited to add: In fact you can see it for yourself here.

http://www.dccomics.com/blog/2014/08/18/the-map-of-the-multiverse

J.Smith

My stupidly long catching up of Progs has brought me to the year 2010. Been without the computer in my room so I've taken the opportunity to do as much reading as possible instead (and I'm not even writing this on my own computer, so I have plenty of time for more left!).

The year before went as expected - that is to say, yes, I was a bit of a jackass cancelling my subscription mere weeks before Cradlegrave, Low Life with the art of D'Israeli and Zombo kicked off. Glad to see that, even in the weekly format, the former-most was as well received as it deserves. By far and away my favourite horror comic, a story that genuinely creeps me out. It does, I think, read better in one sitting, which is how I originally read it, but it is also interesting to have seen it build up over the weeks, avoid showing the reader what had happened to Mary, all the while the estate gradually descending into chaos. Truly one of 2000AD's greatest strips as far as I'm concerned and the others are great too. It's the latter of those I prefer - the second series in particular is constantly laugh aloud brilliance - but Low Life's an amazing series too, although I can't say I found the three earliest stories anywhere near as enjoyable as everything after.

Anyway, there's two real reasons I've bothered to hop on here. Firstly: book one of The Grievous Journey of Ichabod Azrael (And The Dead Left In His Wake),which I haven't even finished but have fallen completely in love with. Everything about this one has been perfect to me - Dom Reardon's art, the best it's ever been; Rob Williams' inventive and fun language; the mystery of it all; it's all just bloody great and I don't picture myself changing my mind by the end of this first series. And that first episode is masterful, one of the best openings I've ever seen. Can't wait to see where this thrill heads.

So the other reason I'm here on is Nikolai Dante. As I said, not seeing future series' of this was perhaps my biggest regret about cancelling my subscription years ago. Apart from Lulu's War, a whole unnecessary short tale, I've loved every instalment that I'd missed of this year, none more so than the latest two that I've just finished, Heroes Be Damned and its follow up / epilogue, A Farewell To Arms. Yeah, I have no goddamn idea how this well end anymore. The title of the former was a big giveaway but that first episode was cleverly misleading, tricking me as it did into thinking everything was all sunshine and daisies before tearing any notion of a happy ending away. No spoilers from me, but the plot twist of that story's second episode was incredible and A Farewell To Arms left me with a bigger lump in my throat than Slaine's farewell to Niamh at the end of the Book of Invasions. Not long now 'til the finale to this series then... Hard to believe that it'll be anything but amazing, so here's hoping it leaves me just as surprised.

JPMaybe

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 08 February, 2015, 06:05:32 PM
There is one line about Dumas and Remiel in Ennis's Hellblazer, and one line about how he was there waiting when the Morningstar was cast down (think the succubus says it?).

Well shut my mouth. Is that issue in any of the trades?
Quote from: Butch on 17 January, 2015, 04:47:33 PM
Judge Death is a serial killer who got turned into a zombie when he met two witches in the woods one day...Judge Death is his real name.
-Butch on Judge Death's powers of helmet generation

Theblazeuk

I think so... I've been picking those up so it's certainly where I read it last. I vaguely recall the line about Dumas and Remiel being spat out by the First and it is literally just a dismissive mention. As for the line about the Morningstar and the First being there, well, first, I think that is when the succubus is saying how truly ****ed Constantine is.

The Enigmatic Dr X

Just finished Book 14 of the Wheel of Time.

Dunno.

Was interested to see a "tv pilot" aired a few days ago: http://thewertzone.blogspot.co.uk/2015/02/wheel-of-time-gets-tv-pilot-out-of.html

Corman's Fantastic Four springs to mind with that one.
Lock up your spoons!

Famous Mortimer

"The Room: The Definitive Guide"

A fun guide to the latest film to go for "Worst Film Ever" honours. It's a nice light read, not super-hilarious and a little pleased with itself (like so much of the movie's hardcore fandom, I suppose) but worth it if you've seen it nontheless.

Karl Stephan

The Walking Dead. 25 issues in and can't put 'em down. Also got a bunch of old Warrior magazines I'll be drooling over when I've finished this run.

Famous Mortimer

"Mallworld" by Somchow Sucharitkul

I think this must have been amazing when it was first published (1981, according to the book) but the years have not been kind to it. It reads like an episode of "Futurama", and I'd lay good money on the writers of that show having read it - and the endless references to all the amazing things feels like the author relied on reader amazement at stuff like suicide booths and compound religions as opposed to bothering with much of a story (it feels like a bunch of novellas set in the same world, shoved together with a pretty minimal overarching plot.

Saying all that, I enjoyed it :) There's plenty of good ideas in it, I just think modern sci-fi has caught and passed it in some regards.

Mardroid

I'm currently near the end of NOS4R2 by Joe Hill.

Rather good. And had a minor geek-gasm seeing the connections between his other books and his Dad's.

Apart from this, I think I've only read the Locke and Key comics (very good) and Horns (pretty good too, although I had some issues with it)  by this author. Think I might check out his other stuff.

Sideshow Bob

I would also recommend you take a look at Joe Hills' Heart Shaped Box once you finish NOS4R2.   it's very good and well worth a read.
Cheers,
Bob
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Mardroid

Thanks Bob. I'll look for that.

Lady Warp Spasm

Moon Knight (looking forward to supernatural slant returning.)

Tower Chronicles Dreadstalker - my Biz fix. I quite like the lead character and his past / origin, but the present day stuff is kind of a miss for me. I'll hang in though as it's fun and Bisley's pencils are crazy.

Dropping after this week's issues:

Rasputin and Thor (the Thor Annual.)

I'll rummage around my digital 2000 ad progs and see if I can find another series I like. I'm  excited about stumbling into another surprise like Ampney Crucis Investigates. I've got  hard copies of the prog coming for at least 3 months so I am looking forward to actually holding a prog in my hands again. I love the larger page format and being able to pour over the art. Can't do that on an iPhone.

Jacqusie

I'm cracking on with The Royals, by Simon Colby & Rob Williams. It barnstorming stuff and would have sat brilliantly in 2000AD if not the Meg.

The collected edition reads absolutely spot on & I recommend it to all you lovely people.

:thumbsup: