Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Molch-R

Quote from: Lady Warp Spasm on 06 March, 2015, 01:27:46 PM
Book-wise: I am a good way into Toby Venables' The Hunter of Sherwood The Red Hand. I hope he does a third book in the series.

If you're enjoying that then I can recommend Toby's The Viking Dead and The Black Hand Gang trilogy by Pat Kelleher (both also from Abaddon, the latter as an omnibus in March),

blackmocco

I've been loving the Silver Surfer latest run with the almighty Mike Alldred illustrating it. It's quite lightweight in tone, kinda reminding me of Doctor Who but it's quite refreshing reading something that doesn't take itself very seriously and still entertaining in the process.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Hawkmumbler

I have to admit, besides being tempted by the B/W omnibuses of early Silver Surfer, the only run of the character i've ever activly hunted down was the run illustrated by Jean Giraud. Did that ever get reprinted?

blackmocco

Actually, I've no idea. That would be lovely. Not much a fan of the Surfer either, to be honest, but I love Allred's art and the story was a pleasant surprise. Big and cosmic as opposed to dour and serious.
"...and it was here in this blighted place, he learned to live again."

www.BLACKMOCCO.com
www.BLACKMOCCO.blogspot.com

Colin YNWA

It was only ever two issues Moebius did I believe (am I wrong there?) a mini in the late 80s. I used to own them and sold them a while ago, didn't realise they went for silly these days.

Tiplodocus

Still Conan.

I've just finished PEOPLE OF THE BLACK CIRCLE and it's possibly one of REH's best. Undoubtedly Conan but he also dives into a bit more depth about hyborean wizardy and the politics of maintaining fiefdoms. Conan does everything from thieving to one on one combat to wizard slashing to leading cavalry into battle. And the constant "You thought this person was the main villain, actually it's person Y" is grandly done. The Devi, Yasmina, is a great gal too.

Be excellent to each other. And party on!

von Boom

Quote from: Tiplodocus on 06 March, 2015, 08:21:39 PM
Still Conan.

I've just finished PEOPLE OF THE BLACK CIRCLE and it's possibly one of REH's best. Undoubtedly Conan but he also dives into a bit more depth about hyborean wizardy and the politics of maintaining fiefdoms. Conan does everything from thieving to one on one combat to wizard slashing to leading cavalry into battle. And the constant "You thought this person was the main villain, actually it's person Y" is grandly done. The Devi, Yasmina, is a great gal too.

This is the story most REH fan feel should be done into a film. This or Queen of the Black Coast.

radiator

Listening to the audiobook version of Coreyography - Corey Feldman's autobiography.

It's entertaining stuff, contrasting light-hearted tales from the making of The Goonies, Stand By Me, The Lost Boys and Gremlins with his surprisingly dark family life and his battle with substance abuse.

If everything he claims is true, then I feel bad for the guy - but that's a pretty big if. To be honest, he (somewhat predictably) comes across as a bit of a self-serving fantasist, and I suspect a lot of the stuff he says is, at the least, a bit of an exaggeration.

Still, worth a read/listen for those with an interest in 80s kids movies and the darker side of Hollywood.

Link Prime

Marvel comics....how did we get here?
Not too long ago I was a religious collector of all things 'X' (pretty much since the late 80's), as well as dipping in and out of several other series over the following decades.
Since giving up the X-Men (quite soon after the abysmal 'A vs X' event) my Marvel reading has been conservatively select.
And now I've just finished the final two Marvel monthlies on my pull list (the recently wrapped X-Force by Spurrier, and the Miracleman reprints by Moore).

Unless they hire an X-Men creative team (ok, even a writer) that I have any interest in when the Marvel Universe relaunches after the summer, I can't see this changing.

As an aside; the last X-Men comic that was even close to being readable was the 'No More Humans' graphic novel by Mike Carey (a nod to gregarious Greg M for the digital code donation).
I could be swayed to pick up something if Carey was re-hired.

Could be. But I find, I kind of don't want to be.

What I'm currently reading; not Marvel.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Link Prime on 15 March, 2015, 09:01:19 PM
Marvel comics....how did we get here?
Not too long ago I was a religious collector of all things 'X' (pretty much since the late 80's), as well as dipping in and out of several other series over the following decades.
Since giving up the X-Men (quite soon after the abysmal 'A vs X' event) my Marvel reading has been conservatively select.
And now I've just finished the final two Marvel monthlies on my pull list (the recently wrapped X-Force by Spurrier, and the Miracleman reprints by Moore).

Unless they hire an X-Men creative team (ok, even a writer) that I have any interest in when the Marvel Universe relaunches after the summer, I can't see this changing.

As an aside; the last X-Men comic that was even close to being readable was the 'No More Humans' graphic novel by Mike Carey (a nod to gregarious Greg M for the digital code donation).
I could be swayed to pick up something if Carey was re-hired.

Could be. But I find, I kind of don't want to be.

What I'm currently reading; not Marvel.

The details are of course different, for Marvel swop Marvel, for X-titles swop Flash (though for not as long) etc etc but as I think you'll have read elsewhere Link Prime I've had what I imagine is a very similar experience of the last couple of years. The weird things is even titles that I would have thought would have tempted me back - so for me Gail Simone's return to the Secret Six a couple of the post Convergence titles - I'm still not going in for. Once those sheckles are off its really quite liberating. I'm sure as time goes on there will be books I get on board with, DCs output is generally too good over their top (as in best not top selling)  titles to be ignored for long. Same thing happen with Marvel after Secret Invasion but I normally have a boom or two from them on my pull list, but I just get the titles I really enjoy these days.

Its better this way!

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 15 March, 2015, 09:23:31 PM

Once those sheckles are off its really quite liberating.

I think that's the nail on the head, Colin.
It makes you wonder how far you'd have to go before giving up on 'Tooth.  :-\

Nah...I made it through the 90's. Every single Prog, Meg and reprint...

Hawkmumbler

The thing is with tooth is how even if a strip has the mist god awful writing imaginable, 90% of the time it's coupled with one of the old guard of artists who somehow give it the driveing force to be tolerable. I'm looking to Frankenstein Division in mind....

Fungus

Quote from: Hawkmonger on 17 March, 2015, 06:41:14 PM
The thing is with tooth is how even if a strip has the mist god awful writing imaginable, 90% of the time it's coupled with one of the old guard of artists who somehow give it the driveing force to be tolerable. I'm looking to Frankenstein Division in mind....

Hm, dunno. Such were the early 80's heights that the 90's prog was too much to bear, Hawk. A lesser mag, maybe it wouldn't hurt so bad.
Repeating myself, but I think I continued buying the prog (and 2 copies per week, is that unusual?) for about 4 years after I actually read the thing. The hooks were deep! And, it means I get to read them for the first time now. Read Frankenstein Division only the other week. Tosh, just tosh...

ZenArcade

Ditto Fungus, I just lost the will. Z
Ed is dead, baby Ed is...Ed is dead

Hawkmumbler

Script wise Frankenstein Division is just the worst. It's so utterly dreadful in every perceivable fashion that it's a significantly large turd even in Mark Millers catalog of shit.

But dat Carlos art!