Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lady Warp Spasm

Quote from: Molch-R on 06 March, 2015, 02:25:29 PM
Quote from: Lady Warp Spasm on 06 March, 2015, 01:27:46 PM
Book-wise: I am a good way into Toby Venables' The Hunter of Sherwood The Red Hand. I hope he does a third book in the series.

If you're enjoying that then I can recommend Toby's The Viking Dead and The Black Hand Gang trilogy by Pat Kelleher (both also from Abaddon, the latter as an omnibus in March),

Thanks Molch-R. I've read Toby's The Viking Dead. I'll make a note about Black Hand Gang.

Well, count me in on Skybound's Birthright. Excellent so far. And cheap enough to keep up too.

ManParrish

Just took a punt on Ocean Orbitter Deluxe HB as enjoyed Plantary by Warren Ellis. Also just got first issue of Chrononauts

Jacqusie

Just finished Philip.K Dick's The Man in The High Castle

Great read & thoroughly recommend it to anyone who likes the alternative.

About to start Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5 which I'm looking forward to. Once I manage to finally finish The Loosers once and for all!

:)

Richmond Clements

Quote from: Lady Warp Spasm on 02 April, 2015, 01:33:29 PM
Quote from: Molch-R on 06 March, 2015, 02:25:29 PM
Quote from: Lady Warp Spasm on 06 March, 2015, 01:27:46 PM
Book-wise: I am a good way into Toby Venables' The Hunter of Sherwood The Red Hand. I hope he does a third book in the series.

If you're enjoying that then I can recommend Toby's The Viking Dead and The Black Hand Gang trilogy by Pat Kelleher (both also from Abaddon, the latter as an omnibus in March),

The Black Hand Gang books are fantastic.
Thanks Molch-R. I've read Toby's The Viking Dead. I'll make a note about Black Hand Gang.

Well, count me in on Skybound's Birthright. Excellent so far. And cheap enough to keep up too.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Jacqusie on 04 April, 2015, 08:54:20 PM
About to start Vonnegut's Slaughterhouse 5 which I'm looking forward to. Once I manage to finally finish The Loosers once and for all!

Very good book indeed. There are actually books I prefer by Kurt Vonnegut but this one is certainly worth its classic status.

Karl Stephan

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 04 April, 2015, 09:28:44 PM
Quote from: Jacqusie on 04 April, 2015, 08:54:20 PM

Very good book indeed. There are actually books I prefer by Kurt Vonnegut but this one is certainly worth its classic status.

It's been on my shelf for a while. Will definitely get round to it one of these fine days.

I started reading American Psycho by B E Ellis, but stopped about 200 pages in. The protagonist just got too damn annoying with his attention to minor materialistic details. To make matters worse, I was working with wannabe city boy ass hats at the time. 

Dark Jimbo

My Allan Quatermain read has taken me to Allan and the Holy Flower. Cor, but that man Haggard could craft a yarn! Lost world fiction at its absolute best. With a team of appropriate misfits assembled - a disgraced Zulu wizard, nutty young English orchidist, Allan's elderly Hottentot manservant, cowardly Malay cook and a half-mad American prophet who wanders the continent collecting butterflies - Allan treks into the dark African interior in search of a lost tribe said to worship a unique orchid. Battling their way through an army of dastardly Arab slavers on the coast, the team eventually reach their goal only to discover that the tribe also worships a giant demon gorilla that's between them and the priceless flower.

Needless to say, the likes of Indiana Jones and Lara Croft owe Allan a big debt, but this novel in particular has to have been a huge influence on the original King Kong. There's a set-piece that's pure cinema - the team sat back-to-back in a mist-shrouded forest clearing, late at night, surrounded by the skulls and tombs of tribal kings, while the demon gorilla darts from the fog every so often biting off people's ears and fingers. Tell me you don't want to see that in a film!
@jamesfeistdraws

Famous Mortimer

"Retromania" by Simon Reynolds

It's been sat on my shelf for years, thought I'd best read it before it became retro itself. Really good too.

Hawkmumbler

FINALLY got started on Mobile Suit Gundam The Origin thanks to the first two HC collections. It's bloody fantastic far out sci-fi, though character development has bee a little on the light side thus far. It's due to be a fairly lengthy run mind you so I'll get around to buying the others. Really rather fantastic art...

Professor Bear

Astray might be worth a gander, too.  There isn't a great deal of it, so you won't be out much if it isn't to your taste, but I recall it being one of the less offensive mecha Japanicomics and liked the atmosphere of it, harking back to the space-based elements of Gundam X and Zeta/ZZ.

A couple of hundred pages into Station Eleven and I'm not sure if some of the playing around with tropes is deliberate or just clumsy (ie: "we always have a destination"), and I can see some critics have probably bandied around terms like "nonlinear narrative" in relation to it, but really what they mean is "flashback scenes to fuckery and back again", with one thread - about the woman whose creative labor lends the book its title - in particular seeming to go on forever.  It seems heavily influenced by - of all things - The Last Of Us, and not just because both are Viruspocalypse stories set "20 Years Later", there are thematic similarities about memory, dreams, and the internal creative capacity of humans, too.  There's the possibility of it going tits-up in the second half, but so far it's been a very enjoyable read.

Albion

I'm currently reading Battle Picture Weekly from the start (on issue 36) as well as 2000AD from the start too, now on Prog 242. A golden age for the galaxy's greatest.  :)

Book wise I'm reading Spike Milligan's war memoirs, haven't read them in years. On the second one at the moment.
Dumb all over, a little ugly on the side.

radiator

The Netflix series got me to finally get around to digging into my Miller/Janson Daredevil Omnibus that I bought a few years ago.

Never read this stuff before, and tbh I'm a little underwhelmed so far. I know it's essentially a 35 year old Marvel comic (and deserves to be appreciated in the context in which it was originally published), but I was expecting something a little grittier and more in line with Miller's other classic works. Frankly it reads a bit goofy, and the characterisation is thin - for being such a 'classic' moment in comics history, the death of Elektra left me totally cold because she wasn't really characterised at all and it felt like she had only been very briefly introduced up to that point. Very anticlimactic.

The art is nice and dynamic - and the inking in particular is beautiful - but there is quite a shocking amount of shonky anatomy going on.

It's entertaining enough but imo is nowhere near as essential as it's status suggests.

Colin YNWA

That's pretty much where I find my thoughts on Miller and Janson's (never leave out Klaus, not that you do of course) run. Its very good for its time but hasn't aged too well. As a massive DD fan there are quite a few runs that I prefer so much more.

Inking though is sublime.

Apestrife

James Ellroy Perfidia.

Waited till it was available on pocket, so that the spine matches the rest of my Ellroy collection (LA 4:t and Underground USA books, also pocket).

Quite a trip. First book of a new LA quartet, all of whom taking place before the original LA quartet. Starts of during the days after Pearl Harbour is bombed. A Japanese family is murdered. War profiteers eyeballs opportunity with the incarceration of japanese. Oh and Dudley Liam Smith of all people/monsters starts dating Bette Davis.

Psychotic and gritty as any of the books. Also as incredible why it even bothers having a murder mystery in the center of things, since it's police men are causing one horrible thing after another. One example being Dudley, who early one starts scheming for hiding Japanese, while making a move for their homes, see if they can undergo surgery to look chinese and also recording smut films with them. And that's some of the milder things he's up to.

Loved it. Will start reading Black Dahlia now. While taking place years later, it follows up on Bucky Bleichert, Lee Blanchard and Kay Lake (who are introduced in Perfidia.).

Can't wait to read the other three books Ellroy have planned. I really hope there'll be more Ward Littell, Dudley, Hoover and also the  Tedrows/Holly,  David Klein and more.

Hawkmumbler

Onto the penultimate volume of Charleys War and i've been reflecting on just how far Charley as a character has come and indeed how much the cast has shifted. With the exception of the home front, of whom only one of Bourne's significant relatives has coped it, most of his friends are all dead. Everyone from his original platoon, save for Smith 70, Albert and Sgt. Tozzar, are dead. Everyone from the runners, the stretcher carriers, snipers, machine gunners, tank opperaters. Ginger, Crazy Eyes, Weeper, Wilf. Even bloody Scholar (didn't see that one coming) has bit the dust. I'll give Pat Mills this much, he's not one for getting attached to his characters!