Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Theblazeuk

Case Files #24

Some great stuff! Not least of which is The Pit, where I get to see DeMarco's first appearance and see what all the fuss is about. Some other good moments in here too, not least the development of PSU.

However the latter half of the book is mostly terrible with some absolutely rubbish stories, some of which barely involve Dredd in the worst way. And even the first half isn't problem free, including an extended (5-part? 500 part?) ABC warriors interruption where a Hammerstein does some stuff millions of miles from the Big Meg.

Tjm86

Now that the school Hol's are upon us I have been binging.  On reflection a real eclectic selection.

'Keep the Aspidistra Flying'  George Orwell.  Continuing my determination to read his complete works, this surprised me as a real page turner.  Some of his other work required real determination but as with Burmese Days this was engrossing.  One thing that seems to shine through in Orwell's work is his disdain for 'little england'.  His characters are quite contemptible, reflecting that Daily Mail outlook on one hand with a sense of resignation on the other.  The protagonist's descent into bourgeois existence is quite an experience.

'2312' Kim Stanley Robinson.  On the other hand this was quite a slog.  Been working on this for a while and finally managed to finish it.  Mr Robinson seems to write two types of novel; accessible and engaging or grind at it to finish.  This was definitely one of the latter.  It just did not seem to be going anywhere in particular.

'Galileo's Dream'  KSR.  Definitely of the accessible and engaging category.  Detailing the constrictions of the church on his work whilst drawing him into a future conflict with a non human entity in the Jovian system, this really did bring Galileo to life for me.  On a slightly more personal note, as a member of a church that has some who subscribe to the 'young earth' model, I found the Copernican controversy particularly interesting. 

'Volpone' Ben Johson.  As restoration comedies go this one is a corker.  Having not read it in over 20 years a recent Wedding Anniversary prompted recollections.  Now have tickets for Stratford's performance to look forward to as well.  The manipulation of all of the characters, the layers to the different plots, the gullibility of the protagonists ...  From what I understand the current performance at Stratford places it in London 2008.  A perfect setting if that is the case.

'Far From the Madding Crowd'  Thomas Hardy.  Although I studied Mayor of Castorbridge at school, that was the sum total of my Hardy experience.  This was a real pleasure.  The restrictions placed on the characters, the slowly evolving tragedy, the careful detailing of that world... A million miles from the London of 'Aspidistra' but just as engrossing.

'Newton' Peter Ackroyd.  Inspired by Galileo's Dream I guess, plus a visit to Greenwich.  This was a disappointment however.  Not sure why.  Perhaps the obsession with Newton's secretive nature, or the lack of detail on some of his work.  I felt like Stephenson's Quisilver gave more depth to Newton than this did.

'Yesterday's Tomorrow's'  Rhian Hughes.  Some of this work I was familiar with, Really and Truly and Dare (although not all), some not so much.  I have to say that Hughes really is an underrated artist.  There is some exceptional stuff in here.  I know he is a world away from Hampson's style but on another level it had a 50's feel to connect with the original stuff.

'Nemo: River of Ghosts'  Definitely a Fin de siecle piece.  Rounding out the Nemo series in style.  As always, O'Neill's artwork is a pleasure.

I, Cosh

Quote from: Tjm86 on 28 July, 2015, 09:45:55 PM
'Galileo's Dream'  KSR.  Definitely of the accessible and engaging category.  Detailing the constrictions of the church on his work whilst drawing him into a future conflict with a non human entity in the Jovian system, this really did bring Galileo to life for me.  On a slightly more personal note, as a member of a church that has some who subscribe to the 'young earth' model, I found the Copernican controversy particularly interesting.
Oh God. Despite normally being a fan of Robinson's doorstoppers and his idealistic view that all important problems can be solved by a bunch of scientists sitting round a table if only we'd let them, I utterly loathed this book.

It's central conceit, that Galileo was not simply a particularly smart guy living at a time when smart guys were starting to figure but rather had all his best ideas foisted on him by an external agent, I found so unspeakably insulting that I hurled the book across the room and never read any more than the first hundred pages.
We never really die.

Tjm86

I would say that it was a shame then as this proves to be far less obvious a conceit as the novel progresses.  I found the Jovian future sections the weakest of the novel but the manipulations fail.  The manipulator ends up prosecuted for other crimes within his own time.

Batman's Superior Cousin

Currently Reading - Dark Disciple

Previous Books Read (By Year, in order) - Various including:
2015 - Heir to the Jedi, Lords of the Sith, Batman Arkham Knight: The Riddler's Gambit, The Curious Incident of the Dog in the Night-Time
2014 - Tarkin, A New Dawn
Pre-2014 (in no particular order) - Resistance: The Gathering Storm, Hitman: Enemy Within, Peter & Max: A Fables Novel, The Rats, The first two Harry Potter books (Philosopher's Stone, The Chamber of Secrets), The Da Vinci Code, & Angels & Demons

I can't help but feel that Godpleton's avatar/icon gets more appropriate everyday... - TordelBack
Texts from Last Night

Darren Stephens

The first issue of Al Ewings Captain Britain & The Mighty Defenders , I picked this up mainly for the Alan Davis art and I'm a sucker for anything Captain Britain. Brilliantly, there's a character in this first issue that bears a strong resemblance to a certain Mega City one super cop..... ;)
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Greg M.

Quote from: Darren Stephens on 08 August, 2015, 09:52:52 PM
Brilliantly, there's a character in this first issue that bears a strong resemblance to a certain Mega City one super cop..... ;)

With Emma Frost doing her best Cassandra Anderson impersonation too!

Darren Stephens

Quote from: Greg M. on 08 August, 2015, 09:54:44 PM
Quote from: Darren Stephens on 08 August, 2015, 09:52:52 PM
Brilliantly, there's a character in this first issue that bears a strong resemblance to a certain Mega City one super cop..... ;)

With Emma Frost doing her best Cassandra Anderson impersonation too!

Indeed!  :lol:
https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Skullmo

Cerebus - the whole thing. I am up to Rick's Story (collected book 12) and it is completely gripping. Reads was the only misstep so far but it has been one of the best comics I have ever read.
It's a joke. I was joking.

Colin YNWA

I stopped at the end of Guys (didn't lile that too much) and I'm still to read Rick's Story or the stuff that follows up to the second half of Latter Days which I read as it was coming out. The first 200 issues though are some of the best literature I've read, let a lone comics.

I whittered quite enough about it here.

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=34683.0

Hawkmumbler

Bacchus Omnibus. I have found it a little so-so thus far, but i'm only half way through Doing the Islands with Bacchus so in due time i'm sure it'll grab me....

Krakajac

Recently completed Volume 8 of the Lone Wolf & Cub omnibus (that's about 5600 pages at this point) - with more volumes to come.

The stories themselves don't grip me every time.

However, the art...it's insane how gifted Goseki Kojima was.  I'd sell my soul at the crossroads to be able to draw like that.

Skullmo

Quote from: Colin_YNWA on 09 August, 2015, 07:12:56 PM
I stopped at the end of Guys (didn't lile that too much) and I'm still to read Rick's Story or the stuff that follows up to the second half of Latter Days which I read as it was coming out. The first 200 issues though are some of the best literature I've read, let a lone comics.

I whittered quite enough about it here.

http://forums.2000adonline.com/index.php?topic=34683.0

I finished Rick's Story this morning, and then read Going Home and Form and Void this evening.

Guys through to Form and void are what I think is the second half of the story, I am not going to spoil the reveals but it is definitely worth reading. Cerebus is a damaged person in this section, he has voices in his head, he is constantly trying to uncover and assert this masculinity - it is all very sad . . .

Guys is a struggle at the start but I recommend sticking with it.

I am not going to read Latter Days as it had so much text about religion that it looks awful. I read a synopses which was enough for me. I will read the last day and let you know if it's worth it.

TordelBack

Interesting to read that folk don't like Guys - I thought it was great, a strong contender for greatest ever comics lettering, with funny indie-book cameos and a clever perspective on showing Sim's hated 'matriarchal society' from the bottom, while at the same time actually being the granting of Cerebus' fondest wish.  And who can't empathise with Bear's frustration with his obnoxious so-called friend.

It's also worth noting that while this was running Bacchus and possibly Sandman were also doing 'live in a pub and drink and tell stories for evah' arcs.

Skullmo

Quote from: TotalHack on 11 August, 2015, 06:40:00 AM
Interesting to read that folk don't like Guys - I thought it was great, a strong contender for greatest ever comics lettering, with funny indie-book cameos and a clever perspective on showing Sim's hated 'matriarchal society' from the bottom, while at the same time actually being the granting of Cerebus' fondest wish.  And who can't empathise with Bear's frustration with his obnoxious so-called friend.

It's also worth noting that while this was running Bacchus and possibly Sandman were also doing 'live in a pub and drink and tell stories for evah' arcs.

The start of guys I found a little hard to read, but once I got into it I found it to be up there with the best of Cerebus. I guess it can seem a little directionless after the previous books, but it is about Cerebus trying to understand himself.