Main Menu

Whats everyone reading?

Started by Paul faplad Finch, 30 March, 2009, 10:04:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Fungus

Oh, Hannah Berry's fantastic Adamtine too. I don't even much like horror, but loved this. Glorious.

ManParrish

Providence Act 1 by Alan Moore, really enjoyed it

Apestrife

Just got through Johns, Morrison, Rucka, and Waid's 52.

Quite good. Liked it better than I thought I would. While I would'v liked it if there was a bit more on why the big three went missing (to add to the framing), or perhaps if the book just skipped them fully. Still a fascinating story framing and some fun ideas. Also cool to read bits of commentary from the creators between the chapters/weeks.

Theblazeuk

Mr Mercedes by Mr S. King. Great little read  - potboiler at its best, though not really in the sense of that word as I think Mr King is catering purely to his own tastes by writing this sort of pulpy thriller.

TordelBack

Quote from: Theblazeuk on 30 August, 2016, 11:04:54 AM
Mr Mercedes by Mr S. King. Great little read  - potboiler at its best, though not really in the sense of that word as I think Mr King is catering purely to his own tastes by writing this sort of pulpy thriller.

Yeah, a great read. I was sort of chugging through it enjoying the retired-detective procedural and then I realised that, almost instantly,  I was desperately scared for ALL the characters. Even the vile perp himself. And I had no idea how it would end or who would survive.  That's classic King writing.

Theblazeuk

Heh yes, that realisation kicked in for me at the point where Brady is looking for some Gopher-be-Gone and making hamburgers for Jerome's dog

Rately

I've the last few King books sitting on my bedtable, so i think i'll have to jump in and get a start on them.

Mind you, i'm busting to read It again, but i'll hold off on that till Halloween.

Tjm86

After throughly enjoying the Fighting Mann Battle Classics I decided to track down the HMS Nightshade volume at long last and man am I glad I did.  What the hell was I thinking of passing it by at the time.  Western's art is truly on form although there are one or two pages that look a little rushed.  Some of the characters are also a bit one dimensional and the old bully comes good cliche gets thrown in as well.  That said it was a fantastic read.  I was also fortunate to pick it up dirt cheap so very happy.  I know Rebellion now have the rights but I hope they put all their support behind Titan for the reprints.  Either that or keep it at this standard.

hippynumber1

I hope nobody minds me posting this here. I'm currently running a giveaway of my novel, 'Sex & Violets', on Goodreads; simply enter for a chance to win one of ten signed copies. https://www.goodreads.com/giveaway/show/204404-sex-violets

Mute77

Just started Dept.H by Matt Kindt it's like a deep sea murder mystery with a bit of science fiction thrown in. I quite like the art although I can see it might not be for everyone. It's about 12 issues long which is perfect as I don't want to commit to endless or long running series.
Also enjoying Warren Ellis run on bond..6 issues in a nifty hardcover. Apparently this version is closer to Ian Flemingston books than the films. Recommended!

Mute77

That should read Ian Fleming. Bloody auto correct.

SpongeJosh

Best of Pulp Sci-Fi bagged with Meg 296. Enjoyed all the stories. That'll teach me not to ignore free material.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Mute77 on 13 October, 2016, 08:47:14 PM...
Also enjoying Warren Ellis run on bond..6 issues in a nifty hardcover. Apparently this version is closer to Ian Flemingston books than the films. Recommended!

Yeah Ellis' Bond is quite superb. Not quite sure how close to the original it is (only ever read one Bond book) but its certainly working.

Mute77

I think Ellis signed up for 12 issues. Short but oh so sweet.  Andy Diggles taken over the series after that..

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Mute77 on 13 October, 2016, 09:46:19 PM
I think Ellis signed up for 12 issues. Short but oh so sweet.  Andy Diggles taken over the series after that..

Its actually a seperate mini Diggle's doing (though I guess he could be taking over after Ellis on the main series to?) Hammerhead. Issue 1 is out now.