Main Menu

Deus Ex - Human Revolution

Started by JamesC, 16 August, 2011, 07:25:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mogzilla

had a go and tbh aint my cuppa, dunno if its the heavy sci fi angle i'd end up not using my mods etc as i did in the last one just ended up playing it as a fps .... still. can see why folks are raving about it.

Steve Green

Enjoying it, but could do without the hacking subgames, just tedious interruptions for me.

mogzilla

i hate any hacking subgames in games especially if they make them too hard and essential to the game (alpha protocoll which is why i never kept you...) the fallout ones are ok though its just a guess the word puzzle...

Steve Green

It's a curious one, it definitely feels like a Deus Ex game, but also fairly dated - the character facial animation is fairly basic compared to some, the cut scenes cutting from mid-shot to almost the same midshot is very clunky, and Detroit feels very cramped compared to Crysis 2's New York.

The plot and interaction with characters is winning me over, but it doesn't seem a massive advance on its decade old predecessor.

bluemeanie

I'm horribly stuck at the moment trying to get down from the roof access of the police station to the lower floors, but its a sign of how good the game is that I'm not feeling overly annoyed or the urge to stop playing.

As others said it feels very Deus Ex. Good stuff

bluemeanie

Gah... boss battle!
Did this game really need boss battles?

This part is doing my head in. Got zero ammo so hiding behind pillars. Got bored of it tonight. Hopefully will ace it first go tomorrow night

Noisybast

An EMP grenade in the face will do interesting things to his optics.
Dan Dare will return for a new adventure soon, Earthlets!

Robert Frazer

If you're shot of ammo, bluemeanie, there's plenty of weapons scattered about the warehouse in which you fight Barrett. In one of the corner-annexes you'll find a weapons cabinet with EMP Grenades and a rack of shotguns - stun him with a EMP, blast him in the face with a full shotgun magazine, then move behind him and fire again as he blindly throws grenades at the wall. There's also a stun gun and more shotgun cartridges in the central crates, and frag grenades and plenty of machine pistol ammo in the other annexe, to polish off the last of his health bar. 
Latest Video - The ESSENTIAL Judge Dredd

bluemeanie

Cheers guys. Will give it a shot tonight.
Its not BAD or anything, just feels like its been dropped in from a different game.

brendan1

Quote from: radiator on 19 August, 2011, 02:18:02 PM
I should clarify - I like 'pick your enemies off one by one' type stealth games (like Tenchu/Hitman etc), but I find 'sneak past without anyone seeing/if you get spotted = instant fail' type stealth games entirely tedious.

Yeah. It's the main reason I hated Splinter Cell and Thief.

As for this game, I don't mind the odd bit of sneaking about, hiding, going invisible, hacking systems - it's all part of playing the game. But now and then I also like to blow shit up and decapitate baddies with headshots, and this game has all that in spades.

I'm not a PC gamer and didn't play the original (simply can't use a mouse/ keyboard to move about and shoot a gun, it's far more satisfactory using the trigger on a controller. Because it's a trigger. LIKE ON A GUN) but I did really enjoy "Invisible War", so was always going to get on with this.

It's a beautiful game and immensely satisfying, but I'm on my second play-through and there's a little something missing that means it's not quite an all-time classic. Perhaps a sense of scale?

Invisible War seemed somehow..bigger and more important?

Anyway, it's one of my favouritre games of the year and has filled a nice gap before I lose the next 6 months to Elder Scrolls 5: Skyrim.

Rog69

Quote from: bluemeanie on 15 September, 2011, 02:14:37 PM
Cheers guys. Will give it a shot tonight.
Its not BAD or anything, just feels like its been dropped in from a different game.

The boss battles are the only negative thing about the game, I'm biased a little because I'm not keen on them in any game but they especially feel out of place in DX:HR.

I managed to beat the first one by using a combination of grenades and throwing the various exploding barrels and cylinders that were scattered around the room at him.

Emp

End of level baddies feel just wrong in this game. That said, so far only the first one has given me any problems.

Nowadays an end of level villan seems a weak way of moving the story on.

Love the fact that the shotgun is called a Widowmaker.....for that reason alone it remains one of my fav weapons (oh and the fact that if you lure people in close its devestating).

Devons Daddy

This was low on my list, until i heard, and read so much about how good it is.
There is not RENT option in Singapore,

maybe a copy will find itself in my hands,This month when i go into put the money down on a pre-order for MW3 this week. single reciept, just a 3figure sum on the credit card which wife may not see in negative
YOU BEEN BUYING LOTS OF GAMES AGAIN sort of way.  :-\
I AM VERY BUSY!
PJ Maybe and I use the same dictionary, live with it.

NO 2000ad no life!

DethronedEmperor

Quote from: Rog69 on 30 September, 2011, 10:09:47 AM
The boss battles are the only negative thing about the game, I'm biased a little because I'm not keen on them in any game but they especially feel out of place in DX:HR.

I managed to beat the first one by using a combination of grenades and throwing the various exploding barrels and cylinders that were scattered around the room at him.

I agree that the boss battles don't really fit in with the overall feel of Deus Ex but they are incredibly easy to defeat if you have the Typhoon upgraded. Playing on normal difficulty 2 blasts and their dead, each boss (except the last one) went down in about 20 seconds  :lol:

Keef Monkey

For anyone who hasn't picked this up yet Game are selling it for £19.99 in store and £16.99 online. Swiped myself a copy.