Main Menu

Last movie watched...

Started by SmallBlueThing, 04 February, 2011, 12:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

Caravan of Courage: An Ewok Adventure. Watched this for the first time since the first time, when I was too sophis...sofistic... old to do any more than cringe.  And... I actually enjoyed it.

It does a hell of a lot with what was obviously a budget consisting of a fiver and a family bag of crisps, and while its retelling of The Hobbit with furry onesies is distinctly dumbed-down, it's also quite surprisingly pretty, and dare I say it, engaging. The hunting-beast stop motion (and prop) is quite scary, the Gorax is a neat bit of bluescreen, and there are some stunning matt paintings. The Towani kids aren't nearly as irritating as I remembered (their parents are morons,though), and the only real letdowns are the profusion of terrestrial animals (stick a horn or some googly eyes on those ponies fercrissakes) and the painful lack of movement in many of the Ewok masks: even this is made up for by some solid physical acting. 

It was particularly cool to see Logray strut his stuff,  although I do wonder why the Ewoks were so wowed by specifically the levitating of their Golden God Threepio (this is a Prequel to RotJ) when this is a power their own mystics have.

Anyhow, it's been added to my personal canon with no regrets. Can you believe that there's never been any official SW figures of any of the new characters? I'd pay good money for Chucka-Trok on his pony.

Should I risk Battle for Endor, a film I do not think I've ever seen?

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 April, 2021, 11:04:12 PM.

CALL YOURSELF A FUCKIN' STAR WARS FAN...?
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

TordelBack

Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 April, 2021, 11:07:16 PM

Surely I burnt that bridge when I openly enjoyed Last Jedi.

von Boom

Quote from: TordelBack on 14 April, 2021, 11:09:39 PM
Quote from: Jim_Campbell on 14 April, 2021, 11:07:16 PM

Surely I burnt that bridge when I openly enjoyed Last Jedi.
This is approaching Christmas Special territory.

The Legendary Shark

Speaking of Star Wars, I finally tracked down a hookey copy of the Star Wars Something or Other Holiday Special. I watched some of it but fell asleep about half way through. I don't know how it ends and probably never will as I really don't care. I was advised, by luminaries here present, to avoid it. I didn't listen. The most interesting part was the adverts (the copy was an old vhs recording of the original US tv transmission, complete with authentic fizzy fuzz and magnetic artefacts) but even these are no temptation to dive back in. So now it sits on my hard drive like a brooding jar of Marmite, all malignant and sticky and crying out to be deleted. If I had children (and thank the deity or scientific forces of your choice that I don't) then this would be my version of the Naughty Step - which must be in contravention of some, if not all, international treaties on human rights. I'd rather be vaccinated up the arse than watch it again. I'd like to adhere to our tradition of renaming this spatter of cold sick something like the Shite Wars Shitty Special - but even that would elevate this... thing to heights so far above its station as to make literally any other television programme ever made, or cancelled, or not made at all, worthy of every award imaginable. There is only one word to describe it, and that word is 'why?'

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

CalHab

Is that the one with the Boba Fett animation?

pictsy

I used to own Battle for Endor on VHS.  I enjoyed it as a kid, quite a lot.  I also asked for a copy of Howard the Duck as a kid because I enjoyed that, too.  Take that how you will.

I have never seen Caravan of Courage, but I now have it, Battle for Endor and Howard the Duck, but I'm too afraid to watch them. 

The Legendary Shark

Quote from: CalHab on 15 April, 2021, 08:01:47 AM
Is that the one with the Boba Fett animation?

Yes - but it's nowhere near as good as it sounds.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

repoman

I just watched Nobody.  Essentially it is John Wick but good

broodblik

I also agree Nobody was great
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

TordelBack

Palm Springs. I'd say your enjoyment is largely dependent on tolerance for Andy Samberg and pals (I'm middling). As a knowing thematic sequel to Groundhog Day this certainly hits the ground running, dispensing with all the usual preamble and getting straight to the main issues. I'm an enormous fan of GHD in its various incarnations (obligatory repeat endorsement of the Minchin Musical, which is superb), so another lesser SNL spin-off team deliberately tackling the same territory was a dodgy proposition for me, but this is surprisingly successful.

The main reasons are Cristin Milioti, who is both extraordinarily believable and likeable as the key novelty, and the significantly increased kookiness of the time-loop mechanics (something something quantum something). JK Simmons is somewhat wasted, but again his very odd character's role greatly adds to the premise (mid-credits scene essential here). It never reaches anything like the cathartic  heights of the original, Samberg is no Murray, and with its larger core cast does proportionately less with the supporting players, but it's still well worth a watch (Samberg-threshold caveat in mind).

milstar

The Lost Boys

I haven't seen this movie before. Nor I seen a movie like this and I quite liked it. A sort of coming of age story with vampiric twist. Because vampires "party" all night, which feels so appropiate for teenage years. Lots of stunning aerial shots in the movie. Cool soundtrack. The plot has upwards and downfalls, and is utterly predictable. It starts interesting, up until Jason Patric becomes the vampire, then loses its momentum, then becomes nail-biting thriller in the last act. I must say, Schumacher's direction is quite competent. As for the cast, Patric is so-so, so are humor bita (which mostly come from the two Cory's), Kiefer Sutherland channels a bit of Stand by Me, while Corey Haim, Corey Feldman (who plays basically the same character from Stand by Ne and Goonies) and the third guy steal the movie. Oh, and there is offbeat Patric's and Haim's granda. All in all, The Lost Boys is the movie that if doesn't exist, it craves to be invented.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

Radbacker

Finally got back to the cinema on the weekend for Godzilla vs Kong, boy am I glad I watched this in the cinema.  I think it's a perfect big screen blockbuster in my opinion, I forgot how loud our cinema was my ears were nearly bleeding!!! I live all the new Godzilla movies and I also really enjoyed Skull Island too so it was probably a given that I'd like this.  Also not sure if it was just because I haven't been to the cinema for a year but the FX work on was amazing it was really like they just filmed a huge monkey and lizard fighting!!
CGI has either really gone up another level in the last year or they spent extra time while the movie was delayed polishing it.  I loved it oh and I'm on team Kong😊

CU Radbacker

CalHab

Quote from: milstar on 19 April, 2021, 12:08:40 AM
The Lost Boys

I haven't seen this movie before. Nor I seen a movie like this and I quite liked it. A sort of coming of age story with vampiric twist. Because vampires "party" all night, which feels so appropiate for teenage years. Lots of stunning aerial shots in the movie. Cool soundtrack. The plot has upwards and downfalls, and is utterly predictable. It starts interesting, up until Jason Patric becomes the vampire, then loses its momentum, then becomes nail-biting thriller in the last act. I must say, Schumacher's direction is quite competent. As for the cast, Patric is so-so, so are humor bita (which mostly come from the two Cory's), Kiefer Sutherland channels a bit of Stand by Me, while Corey Haim, Corey Feldman (who plays basically the same character from Stand by Ne and Goonies) and the third guy steal the movie. Oh, and there is offbeat Patric's and Haim's granda. All in all, The Lost Boys is the movie that if doesn't exist, it craves to be invented.

How can any discussion of The Lost Boys fail to mention the oiled-up, body builder saxophonist? It's the most important scene of the film and the era.

Trooper McFad

Quote from: CalHab on 19 April, 2021, 08:52:20 AM
Quote from: milstar on 19 April, 2021, 12:08:40 AM
The Lost Boys

How can any discussion of The Lost Boys fail to mention the oiled-up, body builder saxophonist? It's the most important scene of the film and the era.

I put myself through one of the sequels (can't remember which one) and the saxophonist has a cameo on a street corner - funniest moment of the film as he's let himself go 😂😂😂
Citizens are Perps who haven't been caught ... yet!