Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

von Boom

I've begun Halo 5 and downloaded Alien: Isolation.

pictsy

Duke Nukem 3D

I managed to get this working on Linux and have completed the original game.  Actually surprised at how fun it was and the type of challenge it provided.  I played the game a lot as a teenager and even made some maps in Build, but I never finished it properly.

I tried getting the original Quake to work and despite it getting some Linux support with the source code being released I haven't found a method to get it working that isn't garbage.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

Quote from: pictsy on 16 March, 2021, 11:46:11 PM
I tried getting the original Quake to work and despite it getting some Linux support with the source code being released I haven't found a method to get it working that isn't garbage.

Yeah that sounds like the time I tried to get Tetris working IRL by getting my wife to buck bricks off the roof while I tried to make them rotate by blasting them with an air rifle.

The attempt was more successful than trying to get X-Wing vs Tie fighter working on Jaunty Jackalope.
You may quote me on that.

milstar

Duke Nukem 3D

Whenever I hear Duke Nukem, I remember awful sexism in Forever. Then again, maybe that was the point of all DN games, it's just that Forever did it more openly.
What's interesting about DN 3D, is that its engine was used for a clone of Duke Nukem, a gem from my pre-teen years - Blood by Monolith Games. There was nothing better than killing zombies, gargoyles, hands, fire spewing dogs and gunning down innocent. In heavily grotesque humor.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

pictsy

Quote from: Mister Pops on 17 March, 2021, 12:14:20 AM
Yeah that sounds like the time I tried to get Tetris working IRL by getting my wife to buck bricks off the roof while I tried to make them rotate by blasting them with an air rifle.

The attempt was more successful than trying to get X-Wing vs Tie fighter working on Jaunty Jackalope.

I never expected to get DN3D working, I just looked it up on a slim off chance.  It's fan made stuff and I had to install something called flatpack for it to work, but it turned out it was a reasonably easy process.

I might be able to get Quake working (because it should have better support for linux), but quakespasm is jank.  It couldn't do fullscreen properly and messed up my system resolution.  As far as I'm concerned, that's bad coding.  I'm certainly not going to play in Window mode.  I might look to see if there is another program that runs the game, but I've got some of the DN3D Atomic levels left to play.

Quote from: milstar on 17 March, 2021, 12:16:52 AM
Whenever I hear Duke Nukem, I remember awful sexism in Forever. Then again, maybe that was the point of all DN games, it's just that Forever did it more openly.
What's interesting about DN 3D, is that its engine was used for a clone of Duke Nukem, a gem from my pre-teen years - Blood by Monolith Games. There was nothing better than killing zombies, gargoyles, hands, fire spewing dogs and gunning down innocent. In heavily grotesque humor.

I don't remember any sexism in the first two games.  It's also ridiculous in 3D.  Duke Nukem 3D is a pastiche and parody of 80's action heroes.  It's very chauvinistic.  I think what the developers got wrong with Forever is that the 90's ended and that shit doesn't work.  They should have taken a page from My Name is Bruce.  Atomic Edition stuff starts very gross and could be read as racist as well.

I never played Forever because I didn't want to see them make the same jokes but worse.

milstar

Quote from: pictsy on 17 March, 2021, 09:31:03 AM

I don't remember any sexism in the first two games.  It's also ridiculous in 3D.  Duke Nukem 3D is a pastiche and parody of 80's action heroes.  It's very chauvinistic.  I think what the developers got wrong with Forever is that the 90's ended and that shit doesn't work.  They should have taken a page from My Name is Bruce.  Atomic Edition stuff starts very gross and could be read as racist as well.

I never played Forever because I didn't want to see them make the same jokes but worse.

I don't recall either, but I was young (and stupid) then. But that alien hive level with slappable wall boobs omg
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

zombemybabynow

was able to get hold of an xbox series s

fable 2 [becoming a property mogul]

portal 2 [have to take very slowly due to my old brain but every stephen merchant voice-over is fantastic]

just waiting for the moebius-like game [ so i can actually play something beautiful & new !

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LKwSsqgmiY
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

repoman

Currently playing Collapsed which is a run and gun rogue-lite.  Is a bit like Dead Cells.  Not as good but still pretty decent.  Is a bit grindy.

Blizzard Arcade Collection.  An improved version of Rock n' Roll Racing (the best SNES game ever) but with The Lost Vikings and Blackthorne added. 

Can't Drive This.  A weird co-op game where one person builds the track as the other drives it.  A really good idea but let down by a lack of content and one of the worst cameras I've seen in the last two generations.

Monster Truck Championship.  Because sometimes you have to review games that you don't want to play.

Various Jackbox Party Pack games.  Just for the social aspect.  Good fun though.  The ultimate party games really.

Professor Bear

Ratchet & Clank currently free to download on PSN as part of Sony's commendable Play At Home initiative, with Horizon Zero Dawn Complete Edition and Subnautica (among others) just announced as still to come.  Even if you don't plan on playing these games, it's worth downloading them at least once while they're available for free so that they'll always be available to download in future from your PSN account.

von Boom

Duke Nukem 3D

I managed to get this working on Linux and have completed the original game.  Actually surprised at how fun it was and the type of challenge it provided.  I played the game a lot as a teenager and even made some maps in Build, but I never finished it properly.

Quake should work well using Wine.

pictsy

I don't use Wine.  I duel boot for any Windows stuff I can't get working natively on Linux.  Quake, as I've mentioned, had it's source code released and it has been Linux compatible for a long time now.  There might be something other than Quakespasm that runs it, I just haven't bothered looking yet.  It's not that important.

I've also ditched the added content in the Atomic Edition of Duke Nukem 3D.  Bored of playing it.  The levels are crap and cheap.  The core game had a kind of story telling going on from level to level, but AE is just doing stupid shit.  The Beavis and Butthead reference was... something, but the rest can take a running jump.  Really wish I hadn't given it the time of day now.  At least I know I enjoyed the core game.

I am curious whether I could find Hexen.  It's apparently been ported to Linux.

pictsy

Hey, what do you know, Hexen does work pretty well in Linux.  It has horrible controls, though.  Going to have to see if there is a config file somewhere that can allow me to remap some of this.  I'm surprised the game has strafing and jumping.  I also have the ability to play Doom 1 and 2, Heretic and Hexen 2.  Nice little port called Chocolate Doom.

pictsy

Hexen is not turning out to be the fun romp I was hoping for.

It's very murky, messy level design and somewhat obtuse.  I'm finding myself desperately wanting to look up and down with the mouse.  There is a look up and down feature to the game but the settings don't allow me to map it to mouse control.  I managed to get the rest mapped fine and I'd probably not worry too much about it if the level design was better.  I don't really want to be too harsh to it because I know I've been spoilt by what has now become standardised.  Even the Duke3D version I played was an updated version, because I remember playing that entirely with keyboard (cursor keys instead of WASD).  I read it was Quake that popularised WASD, but I don't know if that's true.  I do remember a friend at school who loved Quake talking about using his mouse and I was astonished at the notion.

Anyway, I was hoping Hexen would be some retro fun and I don't think I'm going to get anything from it.  It's a shame, but it's not the end of the world.  I might have another look at getting Quake to run, or I might look at building my own Duke maps for fun (I have an idea for a Deathmatch map).  Alternatively, I might stop playing games for a while.

zombemybabynow

Just started : telltales, fables the wolf amongst us

Pretty good. Beautiful cell shading

zombemybabynow

....which inspired me to get the new (ish) collected fables compendium 1 🐺