Main Menu

Last game played...

Started by Keef Monkey, 11 June, 2011, 09:35:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pictsy

I got Quake working... somehow, by accident.

It's looks pretty clean.  I was expecting it to be very murky, but it's not.  Looks pretty good in fact.

I played through the penultimate stages first and breezed through reasonably well.  It's enjoyable.  Another fun trip down memory lane.

I'll have to look into finding Quake 2 as well and the expansions.

milstar

Quote from: zombemybabynow on 21 March, 2021, 09:24:35 PM
Just started : telltales, fables the wolf amongst us

Pretty good. Beautiful cell shading

I remember playing TWaU on my cellphone to Death, over and over again, trying to pick every line, every choice... I tried even to do real me, fantasy me and scumbag Bigby, which sometimes were one and the same.

Amazing game. Can't wait for season 2.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

von Boom

Quote from: pictsy on 21 March, 2021, 10:03:12 PM
I got Quake working... somehow, by accident.

It's looks pretty clean.  I was expecting it to be very murky, but it's not.  Looks pretty good in fact.

I played through the penultimate stages first and breezed through reasonably well.  It's enjoyable.  Another fun trip down memory lane.

I'll have to look into finding Quake 2 as well and the expansions.
Quake 2 is much easier to get running on Linux as I recall.

pictsy

Quote from: von Boom on 22 March, 2021, 11:05:09 PM
Quake 2 is much easier to get running on Linux as I recall.

I haven't looked into it much yet, but I think I read there was an official port.  I would hope that would simplify matters, but one never knows with Linux.

zombemybabynow

Can anyone suggest a chilled out relaxing, able to play whilst eating crisps game (for Xbox)

Thanks
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

von Boom

Quote from: zombemybabynow on 23 March, 2021, 06:43:40 PM
Can anyone suggest a chilled out relaxing, able to play whilst eating crisps game (for Xbox)

Thanks
A sim game of some sort I would imagine. That or a 4x game of some sort.

Link Prime

Quote from: zombemybabynow on 23 March, 2021, 06:43:40 PM

Thanks

STARDEW VALLEY

zombemybabynow

thank you both

j

[apologies, should have started a thread !]
Good manners & bad breath get you nowhere

pictsy

I just finished Quake.  I had to play two episodes twice because I must have gone crazy from all the Lovecraftian horror and started a new game for some unknown reason.

It had its challenging moments.  Mostly ammo conservation.  I also saved often because the game just likes to have enemies drop in out of nowhere, hidden in shadows, around every corner.  My strategy became go forward then go backwards whilst firing until the path is clear to go forward again.  The two bosses were stupid easy, as well, which is fine.  I think I was ready for it to be done when I got to the end and didn't want to draw it out needlessly.  Not bad considering I played more than I needed to.

I had fun and played the game pretty casually.  It holds up really nicely and certainly hooked me with its vibe.  The only thing I wish there was more of were the military bas levels.  I liked the aesthetics.

I don't know whether to bother even trying to get the expansions to work.  I'm kinda done with the game having finished it.

The Enigmatic Dr X

I really enjoyed Quake 4, which is the only Quake I've played. It's more Doom than Quake, if that makes sense. Like, if you replaced the demonic-body-possession-horror with ramped up Borg-scifi-alien-body-possession horror.

That's a recommendation, BTW.
Lock up your spoons!

pictsy

I'm having trouble getting Quake 2 to run in Linux.  Apparently finding out how to do it is going to be a task in itself and I don't think I can get it working by accident.

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 27 March, 2021, 01:13:37 PM
Borg-scifi-alien-body-possession horror.

That's a recommendation, BTW.

Most Quake's that I know of are like this.

Professor Bear

The Witness, for free as part of Sony's Play At Home thingy, so I didn't know anything about it and figured I'd pick it up as I went.  I still haven't a clue what the story is, but the game is a first person puzzler where you wander around a deserted island looking for join-the-dots puzzles to do.  Tremendously chill, and it's really fun figuring out the various puzzles from clues in the environment.
Classic action platformer Ratchet & Clank, which was also free from Sony, and while I have played this in various forms over the years, I didn't realise this was such a major overhaul of the original game rather than just a HD upgrade.  I never liked the gadget-switching or backtracking to older levels as a game mechanic in this or other games, but this is a serious chunk of entertainment for a freebie, neither too easy nor too hard and will likely keep you occupied for weeks.  The framing story and narrative device - based on the recent movie which was in turn based on the original game - is also impressive.

Sean SD

Quote from: Professor Bear on 28 March, 2021, 09:18:42 PM
Classic action platformer Ratchet & Clank, which was also free from Sony, and while I have played this in various forms over the years, I didn't realise this was such a major overhaul of the original game rather than just a HD upgrade.  I never liked the gadget-switching or backtracking to older levels as a game mechanic in this or other games, but this is a serious chunk of entertainment for a freebie, neither too easy nor too hard and will likely keep you occupied for weeks.  The framing story and narrative device - based on the recent movie which was in turn based on the original game - is also impressive.
Ratchet and Clank is fun and for me as a sometimes gamer 'neither too hard nor too easy' is my level
Still can't get the top two trophies on the hoverboard track lol

milstar

Resident Evil 6

I know some people here hated this game. But I decided to give it a shot. And I have a rather personal reason for it (which I won't reveal here). I must instantly note three things:
First, RE6 is defo not the worst game I ever played or one of. I played games that have more right to claim that title. Second, I like where Capcom took this installment, which is all over the world. I like the idea that bioterrorism became a global issue, so that mission can take place anywhere. For instance, RE4 took place in Spain, RE5 in Africa, this one in the US, China, and fictional Eastern European state (the bosses here have Slavic names lol). And third, I had no problem that this game scarcely relied on horror; in fact, I found the action-adventure style as if someone watched a lot of Michael Bay movies, engaging. And tbh, I don't find zombies any more horror-worthy, unless someone crafts a game in the vein of Outlast. Although I find enemies like Rasklapanje, Iluzija and Haos kinda scary. My impressions on RE6 are...

It's another Colonial Marines that set its eyes on something bigger more than it could eat. While on the surface it looks like a decent game, "under the hood" I found many plain annoying things, to say at least. If not frustrating. Perhaps Capcom could have made a game that would be one of the greatest in the past decade. Instead, I got the game that was released too early, just three years after RE5, half-baked and half-polished. Graphics are outstanding, even by today's standards. And I like the idea of four interwoven campaigns (although Jake's campaign has a few segments that I already did in Chris' campaign, which leaves a weird deja-vu effect). The story is forgettable, but this isn't a plot-driven game. Nor I cared for the characters. As for the gameplay, it feels more like a chore. While it has entertaining moments, my overall experience is marred by several frustrations in poor level design, poorly scripted moments, heavy use of QTE, loading times can be sometimes irritatingly long and just general lack of polish. Boss fights are marred by the situations where you have to fight a boss, although the game doesn't explicitly says to you what works and what not and more often than not, I found myself fighting one boss for a good portion of the game. For example, mutated Simmons. I also died a lot. Or in Jake's campaign during snowmobile run; while speeding from the oncoming avalanche, Or trying to escape the submarine with Ada, but this is not quite easy due to awkward camera angles. Oh and yes, the game would occasionally flip the camera's view, akin to earliest Tomb Raider games, which made me annoyed. Or fighting Haos with Chris. The fight itself isn't a big deal as I knew what strings to pull, but the game gave me a so scarce amount of ammo for it that I had to rely on my partner to do all the work, basically. Fun? No. Oh and I am middle way through Ada's campaign, but I still haven't figured counterattack system. If I wanted to spare ammo, I could go toe-to-toe with an enemy, but this quickly becomes a bore. The game starts in-media-res which I generally dislike in video games. This part is replayed afterward with few alterations making the whole segment unnecessary. When I started the game, a (negative) surprise awaited me. Interface went complete redesign, and while I appreciate the lengths Capcom went to customize your experience, adjusting your gameplay style, in addition to setting up video and audio goes on in real-time, which left the player vulnerable to enemy attacks. Also, I found the weapon switching and herb mixing unnecessarily complicated than in previous games. But chances are, the latter I rarely used, since the game replenishes your health when you die, so it made the use of herbs redundant. One of the brighter points of the game is your partner. I didn't have to babysit him, like in the previous game; instead, he does all the work for himself, which left me focused on my own bottom. At least I am glad I didn't have to micromanage our equipment, which often was required in RE5, hence, ruined its pace. Four campaigns give a somewhat diverse feel, but my money goes to Chris, despite the CoD feel, I found myself mostly drawn to his arc, emotionally, despite its shortcomings. Leon's campaign is so-so, Jake campaign feels like a cross of Leon and Chris, while Ada's arc feels more like a DLC, than a full-blooded game, with annoying puzzle-solving.

I think I'll now reply RE4. I don't think I'll replay this. Ever.
Reyt, you lot. Shut up, belt up, 'n if ye can't see t' bloody exit, ye must be bloody blind.

pictsy

I played RE6 in Co-op and was the secondary character.  Those secondary characters fucking suck and the co-op is utter shit, especially Jake's campaign.  What's-her-face in his campaign had all her agency removed.  It made me increasingly more angry the more I had to wait for my friend to do everything so I can move forward.  The end of the campaign summed it up when she finally looks like she's going to do something and - wait, no, no forget that, Jake has to do it for her.  The little lady can't be trust to pull the trigger of a gun.  That's my biggest complaint with the game, but it's one in a horde.

Anyway, I got Quake 2 working on Linux yesterday.  Apparently it was on Flatpak all along and I used that to get Duke3D working.  Flatpak also has an open source Morrowind game and it's very tempting.