Main Menu

A Stupid Question.

Started by Gonk, 19 January, 2012, 10:31:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Gonk

Why 2000ad?

It's now 2012. I KNOW the new millenium was regarded as downright apocalyptical for 2000ad's reading public. But it came and went and the name remained. Good old 2000ad!!

I remember 1995's release of the dreaded DREDD film was seen as a sign of the demise of the galaxy's greatest comic 'cos Judge Dredd removes his helmet. Whatever next after this kind of heresy? 3000ad?

It didn't come to pass....

Comments?
coming at a cinema near you soon

DoomBot

Um well. By the year 2000 the prog had been running 23 years, with a well established fan base, history, and folk lore and ip. You don't throw all that away by renaming your product unless you have millions of squids to throw into marketing.

Besides, 2000ad still sounds like the dim and distant future to me.

As for that film... hollywood has a well established tradition of screwing up many a good book or comic character. Less said the better

The Adventurer

2000 AD. The future we never got. With leather and bikes and lasers and mutant freaks and atomic wars and flying cars. Yet all still alive and well in the pages of the Galaxy's Greatest.

I think 2000 AD is just a perfectly classic title for a science fiction anthology.  No reason to change it.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

JOE SOAP

2000AD It's an ideal, a brand, and it represents a millennium which we are now in. It contains stories set in the far future but also the distant past. 2000AD it is, stays and looks great on a page or on a key-ring.

TordelBack

I'd also note that's it for exactly the same reason that other lesser publishers persist straightfacedly with titles like The Teen Titans, a name that is surely infinitely more dated than 2000AD could ever be.

COMMANDO FORCES

20th Century Fox didn't change, so why would the galaxies greatest comic need to change  ;)

flintlockjaw

Like Joe Soap said...it's the branding. You just dont f**k with a great brand.

ICONIC_TM

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 20 January, 2012, 07:57:10 AM
20th Century Fox didn't change, so why would the galaxies greatest comic need to change  ;)

They Did For Futurama  ;)

Gonk

Thanks for the comments, I wouldn't disagree with you there.

I imagine at one point during the last few years at the end of the last century/millenium , this idea of a name change for the comic was considered and hotly debated by 2000ad's creators. I'm suprised they survived it! Let alone still working together.

I love comics, books. The look of them, the smell and feel of them. Will 2000ad be finally replaced by the digital medium, as a lot of the tabloid newspapers say their publications will in 10 years time; and comics and books produced on paper become relics of the past?
coming at a cinema near you soon