Main Menu

APRIL ART COMP - ...IT'S 1975 AND SCI-FI IS POPULAR...

Started by CrazyFoxMachine, 03 April, 2012, 02:18:41 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

...so Kelvin Gosnell of IPC Magazines decides to ask freelance editor and writer Pat Mills to develop a new 'science fiction comic'. Mills gets in John Wagner and the two develop fascist future cops, violent future sports, hyper-powered secret agents, guerrilla cockneys, time-travelling cowboys and ... well Dan Dare was involved in some capacity.

Then suddenly they lost confidence in their line-up. It didn't make sense, it needed... something else. So they turned to YOU.

SPECIFICALLY YOU READING THIS NOW.

THAT'S IT...                    YOU.

It's 1976, time is ticking on, science fiction is getting increasingly more popular and if this comic doesn't hit the shelves right now it's in danger of looking ridiculous. So give the fledging comic the final thrill it needs, Mills and Wagner are on the other end of the bulky and probably beige telephone. Answer the call. Design the lost thrill of yesteryear TODAY.

*clarification*
- Make believe it's that particularly disco-flavoured past and invent a retro thrill from scratch in the mood of the old
- No entries from anything else, if this has been done before do something else
- If you want to get involved but you feel like you can't draw then either A) sweet talk an artist I've heard they like cheese B) Do a Buttonman and get thee to Paint(!)

YOU HAVE 'TIL FRIDAY THE 27th OF APRIL.

Bat King

Blimey... this is a good-un.  All I need now is paper, crayons and a scanner...

*remembers his scanner is bust and starts wondering which of his friends has a scanner...*
Blog
http://judgetutorsemple.wordpress.com/

Twitter
@chiropterarex

Daveycandlish

ooh..  oo.. I have an idea! Where's me finger paints?!
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

Colin YNWA

Well heavens to Betsy I've an idea I can't resist... now to pretend there's enough time to get it done...

Colin YNWA

Right I'll put this up before I change my mind!

Oh and by the way here's what the editor thought!

strontium71

The actual Ro-Jaws coming up from the water to grab a poo would have been good as well  :)
...because I hate you.

CrazyFoxMachine

IAMTHESYSTEM

"You may live to see man-made horrors beyond your comprehension."

http://artriad.deviantart.com/
― Nikola Tesla

WhitBloke

We're gonna need a bigger vote.  Sorry, couldn't resist. 
Like SuperSurfer said, Excellent work, Colin and IAMTHESYSTEM.  Really setting the bar for the other entries to come there.
So this is der place then, Johnny?

Dash Decent

I cheated a bit - "...Power Supply" is one of their 80s albums - but I did manage to colour in between the lines.
- By Appointment -
Hero to Michael Carroll

"... rank amateurism and bad jokes." - JohnW.

CrazyFoxMachine

Yes. YES - what self-respecting editor WOULDN'T put that in his debut issue?!

and I was just watching a tonne of Vic & Bob's Slade skits :D

CrazyFoxMachine

The competition ends this Friday and we only have three entries - pfff - if you've got an idea - no matter how shoddy, stick it dooon -!!!!!

Van Dom

No ideas I'm afraid CFM, just wanted to add my appreciation for the images here so far. The Rojaws is cool and the Slade one really tickles me. Everything is better with Slade.
Van Dom! El Chivo! Bhuna! Prof T Bear! And More! All in Vanguard Edition Three, available now. Check the blog or FB page for details!

VANGUARD COMIC!

VANGUARD FACEBOOK PAGE!