Main Menu

Stuff you really should love, but just don't...

Started by mygrimmbrother, 19 October, 2012, 03:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SuperSurfer

From talking to all the various forum chaps at get togethers I would say the majority are hitched. (Shock horror, cliche lonesome comic fans with actual wives/girlfriends.)

I saw Dredd 3D with my Mrs and she absolutely loved it. She recently as a surprise bought tickets for us to see Jack White. In last year or so we have been to see White Denim, Black Lips and The Horrors – all of which she was really into. I would say she is more keen than I am to see rock concerts.

(On another note, last week she went to see George Michael at Earls Court but that's another story.)

JOE SOAP

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 22 October, 2012, 08:00:53 PM
8 years ago I had my first date with a lovely lass called Veda. I was lucky enough to convince her to come back to mine and we watched Star Wars and ate crips butties. About 4 years ago, on Valentines Day we stayed in and watched Predator (her suggestion). Her favourite TV shows are Battlestar Galactica, Game of Thrones and The Sopranos. We bought our first house together earlier this year. I am a very lucky boy.

...and then you let the air out and folded her back in the bag.

Frank

Surprisingly, women appear to be individuals with a range of interests and personal preferences.

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 23 October, 2012, 07:00:57 AM
Surprisingly, women appear to be individuals with a range of interests and personal preferences.

Although apparently the desperate need to moisturise their armpits (while also keeping them dry as a bone) and facilitate regular digestive transit consumes them all.  Or so I'm led to believe, my own wife apparently falling outside the tight distribution of required behaviours, and thus probably not a woman.

willthemightyW

Quote from: SuperSurfer on 23 October, 2012, 01:14:00 AM
From talking to all the various forum chaps at get togethers I would say the majority are hitched. (Shock horror, cliche lonesome comic fans with actual wives/girlfriends.)

I saw Dredd 3D with my Mrs and she absolutely loved it. She recently as a surprise bought tickets for us to see Jack White. In last year or so we have been to see White Denim, Black Lips and The Horrors – all of which she was really into. I would say she is more keen than I am to see rock concerts.

(On another note, last week she went to see George Michael at Earls Court but that's another story.)

JACK WHITE? Where? WHEN?

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 23 October, 2012, 01:47:52 AM

Heh.
They say you need to spend money to make money, well I've never made any money so by that logic I've never spent any.

mygrimmbrother

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 23 October, 2012, 01:47:52 AM
Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 22 October, 2012, 08:00:53 PM
8 years ago I had my first date with a lovely lass called Veda. I was lucky enough to convince her to come back to mine and we watched Star Wars and ate crips butties. About 4 years ago, on Valentines Day we stayed in and watched Predator (her suggestion). Her favourite TV shows are Battlestar Galactica, Game of Thrones and The Sopranos. We bought our first house together earlier this year. I am a very lucky boy.

Actually she's got a slow puncture - I find myself curiosuly aroused just watching her slowly deflate over a period of about 8 hours...

radiator

Huge fan of Armando Ianucci, huge fan of Alan Partridge, but The Thick of It - which everyone praises to high heaven - leaves me utterly cold.

A few instances of funny swearing per episode aside, I really don't see what all the fuss is about, and find the subject matter (party politics) to be dull as dishwater.

Richmond Clements

Quote from: radiator on 23 October, 2012, 01:29:27 PM
Huge fan of Armando Ianucci, huge fan of Alan Partridge, but The Thick of It - which everyone praises to high heaven - leaves me utterly cold.

A few instances of funny swearing per episode aside, I really don't see what all the fuss is about, and find the subject matter (party politics) to be dull as dishwater.
Whereas as a politics junkie, I find it to be genius!

CrazyFoxMachine

Yeah not following you on that one, I LOVE the Thick of It. It twists and turns like a brilliant sweary snake.

Mikey

Tomatoes. Specifically raw tomatoes. I like tomato ketchup, eat more than a fair share of tomato based curries and pasta and happly chomp on sun dried or roasted ones, but raw is for the boids and makes me scrunch up my face in disgust.

I should also like my present occupation but it's just tedious crap as usual. I expect a lot of people would go for that one too?

M.

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

radiator

Yep, I'm the same with tomatoes - in their raw form they make me retch involuntarily, but can eat them tinned, pureed, on pizzas, in sauces etc etc.

I have a very vivid memory of being forced to eat some tomatoes by a weirdly militant dinner lady when I was about 6 years old, and almost puking as I forced them down. I suspect that has something to do with it.

mygrimmbrother

Talking of things that make you retch: whiskey. I've tried to cultivate a taste for it, I've tried the good stuff (the Glens and Talisker and Isle of Jura is it?) and think I can tell the difference between a blend a single malt, but it all still tastes like paint stripper to me. Just can't get my head around how you can train your palette to appreciate something like that. Any whiskey buffs on here care to enlighten me?

I, Cosh

Quote from: radiator on 22 October, 2012, 10:36:22 AM
The Wire. Gave up after the pilot. Yeah, so apparently it's AMAZING, you just need to get through the first series - after that you'll be hooked....It also looks incredibly bleak and depressing, but with none of the black humour of The Sopranos or Breaking Bad. Not sure that's my idea of entertainment.
Not that it'll help if you don't like it, but for about the first 20 or 30 minutes it seemed to me like it was the same old "dysfunctional cop devoted to the job over family life" rubbish. By the end of the first episode (or possibly into the second) I was gripped; I certainly wouldn't have watched a whole series of something I didn't enjoy.
There's certainly bleakness in there - it would be hard to avoid given the subject matter - but I find The Wire way funnier than Breaking Bad. However, I have noticed that while we share similar views on aesthetics we have radically different notions of what constitutes "fun" or "entertainment."

I should note that it's only in the last year or so I have been able to get past the gag response generated by the texture of tomatoes and even that only really applies to tiny little ones you might find in a salad.
We never really die.

CrazyFoxMachine

A friend of mine was quite odd with the Wire, said he found the premise quite formulaic but "cringed through" the first season only to be totally bored to death by the second.

I however, love it. Not a patch on the amazing Treme though IMO but is stuffed full o' brilliant characters.

I don't really have anything "stuff you really should love" because I don't really think I HAVE to love anything! Who's forcing you?

Apart from Dob Bylan. People have actively THREATENED me when I say I don't really get him. Bordering on evangelical Bylan fans are - and I've always found the OTT fans of someone more irritating than the person themselves...

Spikes