Main Menu

Stuff you really should love, but just don't...

Started by mygrimmbrother, 19 October, 2012, 03:48:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mygrimmbrother

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 23 October, 2012, 02:42:02 PM
A friend of mine was quite odd with the Wire, said he found the premise quite formulaic but "cringed through" the first season only to be totally bored to death by the second.

I however, love it. Not a patch on the amazing Treme though IMO but is stuffed full o' brilliant characters.

I don't really have anything "stuff you really should love" because I don't really think I HAVE to love anything! Who's forcing you?

Apart from Dob Bylan. People have actively THREATENED me when I say I don't really get him. Bordering on evangelical Bylan fans are - and I've always found the OTT fans of someone more irritating than the person themselves...

Not a case of anyone forcing you, more a case of something that, on paper, ticks all your boxes, but in reality just doesn't do it for you. Firefly being the perfect example (for me)  :)

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: mygrimmbrother on 23 October, 2012, 02:56:39 PM
more a case of something that, on paper, ticks all your boxes, but in reality just doesn't do it for you.

Like those recommended people to follow things that ALWAYS get it wrong "YOU LIKE COMICS? You'll love Mark Millar's tweets!!" *shudder*

Mikey

To tell the truth, you can all get screwed.

SuperSurfer

Quote from: willthemightyW on 23 October, 2012, 08:01:57 AM
JACK WHITE? Where? WHEN?

Alexandra Palace, London 2-3 November

As for you lot not liking tomatoes I am sure you can get counselling for that. Actually in most cases the regular ones are pretty bland but how can someone not like plum or cherry tomatoes?

I, Cosh

We never really die.

radiator

A lot of people are the same about cucumber which is similarly slimy.

TordelBack

Quote from: radiator on 23 October, 2012, 06:09:24 PM
A lot of people are the same about cucumber which is similarly slimy.

You just need to wash them after use.

von Boom

Vietnamese food. You can't swing a cat without hitting one of these places now, but I hate Vietnamese food. It's all very bland and one note.

radiator

Vietnamese food rules!

Stewed pork belly, prawn pho, crispy frogs legs, summer rolls...

von Boom

I know, I know. Fundamentally I should love Vietnamese food. I love Chinese food and I adore Japanese food, but for whatever reason I don't like Vietnamese food. This is especially terrible as my brother-in-law married a Vietnamese girl and I've been to their home a few times. It's the same every time. I smile and eat, but all I can think about is a steamy bowl of soba.

Dandontdare

Quote from: CrazyFoxMachine on 23 October, 2012, 02:42:02 PMApart from Dob Bylan. People have actively THREATENED me when I say I don't really get him. Bordering on evangelical Bylan fans are - and I've always found the OTT fans of someone more irritating than the person themselves...

You want to try questioning the Godhood of The Smiths around Manchester. Now that's a group of fans as psychotically bat-shit in their devotion as anything Dr Who can muster.

Funnily I actively HATED the Smiths when they first came out, that whiny voice was like fingernails on backboard; but later I came to appreciate how incredibly good they were, shortly before discovering that Morrisey is one of those "musicalgenius/totalcockhead" hybrids that seem so common.

CrazyFoxMachine

Quote from: Dandontdare on 23 October, 2012, 10:48:36 PM

You want to try questioning the Godhood of The Smiths around Manchester. Now that's a group of fans as psychotically bat-shit in their devotion as anything Dr Who can muster.

That was going to be a second. I despise that sod. I refuse to be open to the biggest, most self-involved shit on the planet. I cannot fathom him. I'll live my whole life in ignorance of Morrissey.

O Lucky Stevie!

Quote from: Leigh S on 21 October, 2012, 06:15:49 PM
Gram Parsons.  Don't hate his stuff, but he was in the Byrds! Sweetheart of the Rodeo is insanely good and has a place in my heart just for Roger McGuinns "country radio show" story....

But Gram himself, or the Flying Burrito Bros.... I have cds, but I just dont get em, or they dont get me. Or something.

Stevie finds Frank Black's solo career the same. Changes in the line up of the Breeders are undoubtedly responsible for his only liking the first two albums (So what if she's your sister. Bring back Josephine Wiggs  ;))

But not a single song that the Pixies' main songwriter has record outside of the band has done it for Stevie.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

Frank

Quote from: O Lucky Stevie! on 24 October, 2012, 02:27:27 AM
Stevie finds Frank Black's solo career the same ... not a single song that the Pixies' main songwriter has record outside of the band has done it for Stevie.

TEN PERCENTER and ST FRANCIS DAM DISASTER are good, but I know what Stevie means, Stevie. I think if he had picked nine or ten of his best songs to go on each new CD instead of putting out double albums packed with filler, his solo career would have been regarded more favourably. Just to invert the premise of this thread, I haven't got much time for much else Metallica have done in their long career, but this rocks the cock:

FRANTIC

Gonk

Bob Marley may be dead, but he isn't buried...

...every time they try to close the coffin, the lid keeps Jammin'.

coming at a cinema near you soon