Main Menu

Stuff I can't believe 2000AD got away with in the old days

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 09 February, 2013, 10:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JayzusB.Christ

When it was still a kids' comic... (I know, I know, maybe it still should be, that's for another thread though...)

1.  The extreme violence in Dredd (memorable moments being one of PJ Maybe's cousins graphically splattering all over a slab, and a Judda's close-up exit wound rendered in beautiful colour).

2. The extreme violence in Slaine (Slaine ripping Quagslime's heart up out through his throat, for example.)

3.  The topless chick with nipple-tassles at the Rio carnival in Ant Wars.

4.  Torquemada marrying a 14-year-old.

5.  'Be careful it's just the hotties you fry' - Dredd to a naked barbecue chef.

6.  Ronnie Reagan's visible (if covered with black hair dye) meat 'n' two veg in Diceman.

7.  What Almaranda did to that poor Arab chap.

Annnnd 8, the filthiest line ever to grace the prog's pages...
Souther Deserter: 'I heard he has a talking gun.  That you, gun?'
Gunnar: 'No, I'm your kid sister.  Don't you recognise the bite-marks you left on the front of my...'

"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

MercZ

Speaking of Ronald Reagan, there was that bit in Strontium Dog where Ronald Reagan ends up being abducted and taken to the future. They take a lot of shots at Reagan, both verbally and literally for his senility and oddity (even one blurb where an alien wonders why humans think of him as a great leader). That was amusing for what was a publication for younger audiences.

JayzusB.Christ

... not to mention his interruption of Johnny and Red in the shower, who were quite clearly about to [spoiler]shampoo[/spoiler] each other's brains out.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

maryanddavid

Andrew_J

Great idea for a thread!
Brian Bolland's drawings of Judge Anderson had a certain (ahem) "fascination" for 12 year old me. They certainly helped improve my anatomical drawing skills.

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 09 February, 2013, 10:57:52 PM
When it was still a kids' comic ... one of PJ Maybe's cousins graphically splattering all over a slab, and a Judda's close-up exit wound rendered in beautiful colour).

Both those great examples are on the very cusp of the point where the readership tipped over into consisting predominantly of folk with hair between their legs. The example from around that period in time which really brought that home to me was Slough Feg's flapping, semi-tumescent member in the early chapters of The Horned God.

hippynumber1

9 year old me thought the crocodile dinosaur biting the cowboy in half was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. So - pretty much the whole of Flesh!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: hippynumber1 on 10 February, 2013, 09:36:01 AM
9 year old me thought the crocodile dinosaur biting the cowboy in half was the coolest thing I'd ever seen. So - pretty much the whole of Flesh!

Yeah completely this. I mean Tharg did censor the actual image of that boy being eatten but that aside Flesh melted my five year old brain. So brilliant.

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteDR and Quinch, 'Real men dont use blanks'

Not to mention the pair of them flipping the middle finger on the cover of their first GN.  I mean, they only had three fingers per hand, but still.

I remember Slough Feg's big long willy too.  In fact the Horned God was absolutely full of tits and willies.
Oh, and speaking of Bisley, there was also the 'F.O.A.D.' graffiti on Joe Pineapples' gun.

Link Prime

My older cousin told me what that FOAD graffiti meant...I was completely oblivious!
I was always shocked by Terri's casual cannibalism in that story too.

And just how old was Purity Brown when she started bonking a demonic human-murderer with a horses head?

JayzusB.Christ

QuoteAnd just how old was Purity Brown when she started bonking a demonic human-murderer with a horses head?

That was one of the things that went over my head.  For a long time I thought they were just good friends.  Who did Terrry eat, by the way?  Don't remember that bit. 
There was also Zenith more-or-less [spoiler]shagging his ma[/spoiler] in Phase 2.

Link Prime

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 February, 2013, 11:52:34 AM
QuoteAnd just how old was Purity Brown when she started bonking a demonic human-murderer with a horses head?

That was one of the things that went over my head.  For a long time I thought they were just good friends.  Who did Terrry eat, by the way?  Don't remember that bit. 
There was also Zenith more-or-less [spoiler]shagging his ma[/spoiler] in Phase 2.

If memory serves, Terri started chomping on the bodies of some of the bad-guys that were perusing the Warriors in the time tunnels. She was taught to do it as an efficient means of recycling.
Classic Toothy moment where Hammerstein is disgusted by it, and Blackblood nonchalantly declares that "they're a valuable source of protein".

And yeah, Zenith shagged his ma and a young Ruby Fox in the kinda ménage a trois that you just don't expect to be exposed to at the age of 12.

Frank

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 10 February, 2013, 11:52:34 AM
Who did Terrry eat, by the way?  Don't remember that bit.  There was also Zenith more-or-less [spoiler]shagging his ma[/spoiler] in Phase 2.

And Ruby Fox too, which must have made things awkward between them. Terri chows down on the remains of the first wave of mekanix who attack the Warriors, and points out that Hammerstein & Co recycle body the body parts of their enemies and colleagues too. It's part of her conception of herself as being a flesh unit and aspiring to being an impervious metal being like Craig.

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Link Prime on 10 February, 2013, 12:06:52 PM

And yeah, Zenith shagged his ma and a young Ruby Fox in the kinda ménage a trois that you just don't expect to be exposed to at the age of 12.

With that Richard Branson chap watching gleefully through one-way glass, as I recall.

Trout