Main Menu

Stuff I can't believe 2000AD got away with in the old days

Started by JayzusB.Christ, 09 February, 2013, 10:57:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

strangelysaucy

All if the above is what made/makes 2000ad the precious article it is.
So many gloriously inspiring and mercilessly non age appropriate scenarios! I'm gonna have to go back to the loft and dig out some old progs! Thanks for sparking some cloudy memories
props, scribbles and fiddle-aboutery - https://www.facebook.com/Strangelysaucy

TordelBack

I never tire of saying this, but the extraordinarily erotic The Amazing Maze Dumoir.  To my young eyes it was a sort of comics version of Some Like it Hot crossed with Penthouse Forum.

Link Prime

Quote from: TordelBack on 10 February, 2013, 05:18:26 PM
I never tire of saying this, but the extraordinarily erotic The Amazing Maze Dumoir.  To my young eyes it was a sort of comics version of Some Like it Hot crossed with Penthouse Forum.

And it was reprinted in the 1989 sci-if special, which has a bit of a risque cover- making my little cheeks blush twice (buying it from the female newsagent, and my Gran asking me what I was reading in a slightly concerned tone) :)

hippynumber1

Or how about the 'almost got the prog banned' moment where Artie Gruber pours jetpack fuel over Giant and is about to set it alight!  :o

Frank

...and it could have been even plus érotique

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.

ming

JayzusB.Christ

Heh!  Forgot about that one.  I also had a good retro-chuckle when I remembered Peter Wolf's endearingly naive comments after it. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Andrew_J

I had forgotten Maze Dumoir. Off to dig out old progs now. Cheers!

Lenny_Zero

SHAKO was one of the coolest "adult fare" things I read as a kid.  This polar bear ripped his way through so many people.  It was disturbing and fun at the same time.  I was about 10 at the time.  I just got my hands on the graphic novel reprint and wow, it's still a GRIP of fun!
America is an irradiated wasteland.

TordelBack

Quote from: sauchie on 10 February, 2013, 05:53:58 PM
...and it could have been even plus érotique

In this instance I think Bodger was right on the money (maker) - improbable concealment and repeated tease is far sexier, and far more 'adult', than 'buns oot fer tha lads'.

This past week I've been reading the first few years of what passes for an 'adult' contemporary for 2000AD, Heavy Metal, as research for a Blog Thing I'm trying (yet again) to do, and the approach to 'le sexy' is pitiful.  With the possible exception of Moebius' stuff every episode of every single strip just randomly drops one or more naked women in to an incongruous SF/F scenario and has them arch their back and shove their boobs at the the reader. I like the female form as much as the next grud-fearing fanny-botherer, but helpmaboab it's childish stuff.

Coincidentally, Roach's Dredd last week really stands out as an example of how to do a bit of cheeky cheesecake and make it fun without making me have to read it in my shed. 

And getting back on topic, Bellardinelli's lovingly designed costumes for Macha, Medb and the Badb in 'Bride of Crom' were pretty strong stuff when I was 12. 

JayzusB.Christ

I didn't mind the nudity in Heavy Metal (particularly when I was a horny teenager), but the problem was that about 99% of the storylines were pure, unadulterated kack.
But back on topic, as the man said, there was also the goblin called 'Goolie-Grinder' in a Diceman Sláine.  Oh yeah, and the fact that you as Rick Random in the same Diceman could choose to spend a night in a classy hotel with a prostitute (not explicitly stated but quite obvious in hindsight).
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Adrian Bamforth

Alan Moore/Jim Baikie's Skizz: In a happy ending to the story, the unemployed gentleman drops the South African police chief off the side of a Birmingham multi-storey car park.

JayzusB.Christ

Spoilers, lad, spoilers!  But I've read it, so no worries from my end of things.  I know what you mean though, I often thought that there is no way things could have ended well for that poor unemployed chap having just committed a very serious crime.

Also regarding Alan Moore - Crazy Chrissie being forced to watch 'DR and Quinch Have Fun at the Morgue.'  One shudders to imagine.

hippynumber1

Quote from: Adrian Bamforth on 11 February, 2013, 01:18:10 PM
Alan Moore/Jim Baikie's Skizz: In a happy ending to the story, the unemployed gentleman drops the South African police chief off the side of a Birmingham multi-storey car park.

Been a while since I read it but wasn't it the top of Spaghetti Junction? Which is even worse!