Main Menu

The Board Game Thread

Started by radiator, 21 February, 2014, 03:13:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

judgerufian

Has anyone still got a copy of the old Games Workshop game 'Warlock'? I only played it one summer years ago and it has left an impression on me as the ultimate board game when we were in the midst of playing Talisman with its expansions, D&D and of course, the Judge Dredd board game.

radiator

I had some eBay vouchers to use up, so ordered a copy of Takenoko, which has had excellent reviews and looks right up my alley.I now have a pretty awesome collection of board and card games - Carcassonne (plus 4 expansions and the Minis), Ticket to Ride: Europe, Takenoko, Tsuro, Fluxx and Love Letter. Now I just need to find the time to actually play them!

Ancient Otter

Nice collection Radiator, nothing too heavy sounding for the Norms.

Emp

Quote from: judgerufian on 06 May, 2014, 01:38:26 PM
Has anyone still got a copy of the old Games Workshop game 'Warlock'? I only played it one summer years ago and it has left an impression on me as the ultimate board game when we were in the midst of playing Talisman with its expansions, D&D and of course, the Judge Dredd board game.

Yep,its a great wee game. In fact i might have two!

judgerufian

Quote from: Emp on 12 May, 2014, 06:48:48 PM

Oooo, fancy selling it? I've been after a copy for years!

TordelBack

Wow, Takenoko looks good!  Any first impressions, Radiator?  Does the suggested 45 min duration sound right to you - 'cos it looks like there's enough there for several hours to me, which would rule out regular play with the family.  I figure family games need to have an average playtime of no more than 1 hour  (which in the way of families will explode into 2 or 3 hours of actual time) or you only ever play them very occasionally.  I find we play a lot more Carcassonne than Catan, for example, precisely because the former can be so quick: basically if you can fit a game into a window that might otherwise be used for a DVD (including breaks, snacks etc.) it's got a head start.

Emp

Quote from: judgerufian on 15 May, 2014, 04:47:42 PM
Quote from: Emp on 12 May, 2014, 06:48:48 PM

Oooo, fancy selling it? I've been after a copy for years!

I'll check the condition etc...think i bought a second copy cus my original was getting tatty...if it's all there i am sure we can come to an arrangement :)

JamesC

Has anyone played Magic: the Gathering?

I'd always been put off by the hardcore-saddo image that the game has but I regret that now.
My interest was piqued after playing Hearthstone on the iPad which I really enjoyed. I picked up a 'deckbuilders toolkit' and a few booster packs and have been pretty impressed. The game seems very fun and accessible and some of the card-art is absolutely stunning.

Andrew_J

Magic is a great game, well worth trying out. You can pick up starter sets with two basic decks to give you a flavour of it. The problem is that you can end up spending a fortune building a competitive deck. You could check out Android Netrunner which is similar in principle to Hearthstone and Magic but is a self contained game with everything in one box.

Timothy

Hearthstone is taking over my life at the moment. The daily challenges and the arena mean that I've little time for my other board game loves of agricola and carcassonne.

I, Cosh

Bought Carcassone a couple of weeks ago but, annoyingly, haven't had a chance to play it yet. Hopefully the coming week will rectify this.
We never really die.

pauljholden

Got to play a super simplified set up of starwars x wing fighter miniatures in Enniskillen the other week, was tremendous fun, so I've ordered up the starter set, hoping I can play with the kids (age 9 and 5).

(The super simplified set up abandoned all the cards in favour of a straight up darth vader vs luke skywalker).

Looks like the games can be played pretty quick and the core set has three ships, one for each of us.

-pj
(looked around belfast to buy it, couldn't see it so ordered if via amazon, then turns out forbidden planet belfast sells it, so kicking myself...)

Andrew_J

Nice one PJ. It's a class game alright. It's also a slippery slope: I guarantee you'll have bought the Rebel Transport before the end of the month.

TordelBack

It's like there's a bloody conspiracy to get me to buy this game.  I just barely escaped buying it for my son's birthday today, reasoning that he's a Clone Wars man and this is all Rebellion stuff, we're already playing the WizKids pocket model game (which isn't too bad, if strategically non-existant) plus I already have a half-tonne of plastic from the WotC starship game sitting unused in the attic, both of which do support that era.... 

But the models are so lovely and the rules seem so juicy...  It's too much I tells ya, too much: once I started buying those boosters I know I would never be able to stop, and despite the quality they're just too dear.  No.  No.  Maybe? No.

With a heavy heart I'm setting my sights on Forbidden Island, Zombie Dice and Takenado as next family-centric purchases, and if I was to be honest Lords of Waterdeep for personal use (or might inveigle a friend to go halves on that one with me - there's a few very old RPG buddies of mine that I could see being persuaded into an evening or two of that). 

JamesC

I'm really tempted by Descent: Journeys in the Dark which looks a bit like a super duper advanced version of Hero Quest. The trouble is, it's quite expensive and I don't think I'd get much opportunity to play it.