Main Menu

Inevitable "crap music" thread

Started by Professor Bear, 23 April, 2014, 09:00:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dandontdare

Quote from: Professor Bear on 01 September, 2017, 05:59:14 PM
Dragging up the past here, but the worst song ever recorded is the Counting Crows cover of Joni "oh you've met her?  Is she really as awful as they say?" Mitchell's Big Yellow Taxi,

No way man, If you start with a great song there's a limit to the amount of damage you can do. The WORST are the songs that are blighted from conception.  I absolutely agree with your entire analysis - it's a horrible and pointless cover (No Vanessa, you DON'T deserve a title credit for walking wistfully down the street singing "ooooh bop bop") and I am more offended than most as I worship at the altar of the Blessed Joni (well until that last one that they only sold via Starbucks - I even liked Turbulent Indigo), but it's .. well ... how can I put it?
QuoteI'm sorry, but you're not even trying if that even registers on your list of worst songs, never mind topping it.

Professor Bear

Covers are the worst because the default trajectory is down, but no matter how a bad a song you write, you've still created something.

Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 September, 2017, 08:05:10 PM
No way man, If you start with a great song there's a limit to the amount of damage you can do.

I used to think that, and then Madonna did a cover of American Pie.

Dandontdare

again, horrible and pointless, but if, for the rest of your life, were you were forced to only ever listen to that or this or even this - which would you prefer?

Colin YNWA

Quote from: Professor Bear on 01 September, 2017, 08:42:12 PM
Covers are the worst because the default trajectory is down, but no matter how a bad a song you write, you've still created something.

Tell that to Johnny Cash... well okay he's dead alas but still that man could find ways to make good songs great and great songs exceptional.

Fungus

Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 September, 2017, 09:17:24 PM
again, horrible and pointless, but if, for the rest of your life, were you were forced to only ever listen to that or this or even this - which would you prefer?

Evil to our ears but the best thing ever for a 5-year old... Also see: Gangnam (?) Style.

Big Yellow Taxi. A fine original... ruined completely by her giggling at the end. Many cover versions, but all avoid that! Wisely!

Dandontdare

aw, I like that giggle - it was 1970, so it would have been genuine rather than a cynical gimmick.

Professor Bear

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 01 September, 2017, 09:27:01 PM
Quote from: Professor Bear on 01 September, 2017, 08:42:12 PM

Tell that to Johnny Cash...

We all know Boyzone did the definitive version of Father And Son so there will always be exceptions, but by and large the majority of covers don't live up to the original.

sheridan

Quote from: Dandontdare on 01 September, 2017, 10:09:30 PM
aw, I like that giggle - it was 1970, so it would have been genuine rather than a cynical gimmick.
That's no proof againt gimmickry - Alma Cogan laughed during one song, and then became "Girl with the Giggle in Her Voice" forever after...

Zarjazzer

A good cover takes the song and makes it their own. Like the Clash did with I fought the law or Blondie with Denis(e).

Can't say i'm thrilled at Katy Perry's or the Swifty's latest tunes. I used to like their songs like TGIF and We are never ever getting back together.

The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

NapalmKev

If it's crap covers you're after you will have to go a long way to beat Another Brick in the Wall by angst ridden Forever-Teens, Korn(y).

Yeah, it can be interesting when Metal and Punk bands cover songs that are not from their respective Genre's, as is evidenced by the utterly awful Sounds of Silence by Disturbed.

And finally, a shit cover of a shit original Everything I do, I do for you

No, don't thank me.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Fungus

Oh. That Sound of Silence cover is gruesome  :o

But I saw a fantastic tribute act cover the S & G classics at that Edinburgh Festival last week, and I've been spoiled.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: Fungus on 03 September, 2017, 12:20:43 PM
Oh. That Sound of Silence cover is gruesome  :o

Better than their dire Phil Collins cover...!
@jamesfeistdraws

Skullmo

It's a joke. I was joking.