Main Menu

Patrick Stewart back as Picard in new series

Started by Greg M., 05 August, 2018, 11:04:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tiplodocus

Only seen S2E1 so far and it packed a lot in.

But ffs, does Picard now have a tragic backstory? This is Star Trek not Britain's Got Talent.
Be excellent to each other. And party on!

GordonR

That is a bit rubbish. Only now, at about 100, do I remember the childhood trauma that has propelled me through life.

Also, they haven't half just blipped over any ramifications from the S1 ending that Picard basically died and what we're looking at now is a robot copy of him.

I mean....

Tiplodocus

They mentioned it in a couple of throwaway lines but never talked of the ramifications. Oh well.

The Legendary Shark

The childhood trauma thing I can understand - my Mum's 80 this year and she still occasionally drops bombshells I had no idea about.
[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

NapalmKev

I could be reaching a bit here but it's possible that [spoiler]...Q...[/spoiler] is responsible for the memory resurfacing.

Whatever the case I find Picard far more watchable than the likes of Discovery or Below Decks...

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

Tiplodocus

To be fair that second episode was all kinds of fun and going back in time to 2024 could also be a laugh a minute.

CalHab

I enjoyed episode 2, a nice TNG flavour, but the scientist is clearly written for a different show.

Radbacker

I'm enjoying season 2 so far but yeah the whole synthetic thing is a bit of a dud, iirc they said his new body would be exactly like his old one and even due in a few years like a normal human body, makes me sad I wanted to see Picard doing backflips and bending metal with his bare hands 😁😁
Also if you wrote of Discovery last season give this season a go I think it's much more like old Trek and less Starwars Trek, their mission is to actually boldly go where no one has gone before!!! Though it does seem to be ripping off Contact (is that what the movie was called with the Squidly aliens and the Lois Lane made by the guy that did Dune??) tis good now

CU Radbacker

Tiplodocus

ARRIVAL.

Contact is the one with the serial killer hunting FBI agent moaning because she misses her dad.

Radbacker

Ahh of course Arrival maybe I should have fact checked first, I do sort of remember Contact from years ago wasn't too bad iirc

CU Radbacker

Tiplodocus

Episode 3 and this is still great (despite the Picard childhood trauma thing... Still not referred to again).

Did they sack everyone from Season 1 and replace them with people that remember Star Trek could be fun?

Tiplodocus

So I enjoyed that. Far from perfect and quite a few "fan pleasing" moments thrown in (which I liked... Especially the one they had kept pretty quiet). Two or three episodes too long as sadly is most telly these days. And Michelle Hurd is just terrible.

BUT despite all that I enjoyed it.

judgeurko

wedgeski

I don't normally post on forums to say I didn't like something, but as a steady fan of most Nu Trek, I have to acknowledge that, apart from a few nice moments, Picard S2 was embarrassingly bad. To have an opportunity for closure on the Q and Picard relationship, to reintroduce the Borg, to have the chance to revisit Locutus and the Queen, to have Stewart, DeLance, and even Whoopie Goldberg all on board, and to come up with this lowest-common-denominator pre-first-draft level turd... Shameful. There will be a S3, but for the love of god, fire the show runner and hire decent writers so we can send Picard off in style.

Dandontdare

I enjoyed it. The new characters were interesting and there was suitable levels of fan-wank in bringing back old stars (although some were a bit of a stretch. Would have been great if Corey had just said "shut up Wesley" and walked away.)

Sir Patrick did look old though - I had to cheer myself up most weeks by following it with a TNG episode to remind myself of young(er) vigorous Picard