Main Menu

The Leopard from Lime Street - the TV series

Started by sheridan, 25 September, 2020, 07:09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sheridan

Art

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

That is almost too exciting for words. If this is any way true, it's very heartening to see stuff from outside the worlds of 2000AD getting an airing. Hopefully they are thinking CBBC, and not trying to "adult it up".

SBT

Colin YNWA

Doubt has been cast on to that Vulcan Reporter. Apparently he's the bloke that said Tom Hardy was the new James Bond which has been cast into doubt (I have no idea).

That said the idea that a Leopard of Lime Street telly show is going to be a good source of clickage seems strange!  Would be great if it happened but we'll see.

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 25 September, 2020, 07:55:08 PM
Doubt has been cast on to that Vulcan Reporter. Apparently he's the bloke that said Tom Hardy was the new James Bond which has been cast into doubt (I have no idea).

He also says HBO are developing a new Constantine TV series starring Keanu Reeves, which sounds like horse shit to me...!
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

JayzusB.Christ

And that the Dredd TV series is adapting America.  Sounds very much like a man who writes about things he wishes were true.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

Dandontdare

MumboJimbo

I love a bit of Leopard from Lime St as a slice of 80s comic nostalgia, but I hope this ain't true. What does it add to the already over crowded genre? Boy get involved with dodgy scientists, unwittingly gets superpowers and can now get his own back on the bullies, but finds an inner strength to be the better man and turns his attentions to foiling criminals instead. What would be the pitch here? "Well, it's like the other ones - but he's not a bat, and spider or a panther. This one's a leopard."

In my ordered list of Rebellion IPs I'd love to come to the big screen, this is #576.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

I suppose it's low risk, no one* is familiar enough with the source material to claim it's a poor adaptation.

*that matters
You may quote me on that.

Funt Solo

Quote from: MumboJimbo on 27 September, 2020, 12:46:48 AM
In my ordered list of Rebellion IPs I'd love to come to the big screen, this is #576.

I'm enjoying the idea that the list is real.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: MumboJimbo on 27 September, 2020, 12:46:48 AM
What would be the pitch here? "Well, it's like the other ones - but he's not a bat, and spider or a panther. This one's a leopard."

And English, not American; and explicitly a young boy, rather than a teenager or twenty-something. I dunno, I genuinely think that gives it more than enough of a niche to carve, however derivitive.
@jamesfeistdraws

NapalmKev

I think there's a market for something like this aimed at 8-12 year olds and I don't mean that disparagingly! Does anyone remember the short stories that I think were shown on the BBC back in the 80's? They would be on just after I got home from school and had a different theme each episode.

From memory - There was one featuring a young lad who's favorite Tiger t-shirt gained powers (from a machine?) and when worn the lad gained amazing abilities. I'm not saying that it was good by today's standards but the fact it's one of the few things I remember from that time is a testament to how different it was from anything else.

So, yeah; I think a Leopard... tv series could work but I would suggest it be aimed at the age bracket mentioned at the start of this post. Who knows, it could even get them reading comics!

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

TordelBack

I think the concept would work fine for a CBBC show, but I couldn't see it going further than that. Even former pre-/young-teen properties seem to have to have sex and violence to get anywhere on telly (e.g. the Archie stable), and the Disney Kids style superhero/fantasy shows are just 80s domestic/high school sitcoms with pervable costumes.

I don't think Kes-with-Claws is a niche that can exist.

sheridan

Quote from: NapalmKev on 27 September, 2020, 10:29:26 AM
I think there's a market for something like this aimed at 8-12 year olds and I don't mean that disparagingly! Does anyone remember the short stories that I think were shown on the BBC back in the 80's? They would be on just after I got home from school and had a different theme each episode.

From memory - There was one featuring a young lad who's favorite Tiger t-shirt gained powers (from a machine?) and when worn the lad gained amazing abilities. I'm not saying that it was good by today's standards but the fact it's one of the few things I remember from that time is a testament to how different it was from anything else.

I don't recognise the episode, but the rest of it sounds like Dramarama (don't know which channel that ran on though).

NapalmKev

Quote from: sheridan on 27 September, 2020, 02:36:17 PM
Quote from: NapalmKev on 27 September, 2020, 10:29:26 AM

I don't recognise the episode, but the rest of it sounds like Dramarama (don't know which channel that ran on though).

I had a look on the net and it is in fact Sammy's Super T-Shirt. It was released in 1978 so I must have seen it repeated years later.

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"