Main Menu

Festive Thrill-Tree: GN Blurb Translated Too Many Times

Started by sheridan, 01 December, 2020, 10:06:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

NapalmKev

For some reason the blurb is making me think of [spoiler]Bad Company[/spoiler].

Cheers
"Where once you fought to stop the trap from closing...Now you lay the bait!"

JayzusB.Christ

[spoiler]Halo Book 3[/spoiler] is all I can think of.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

The Legendary Shark

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

I, Cosh

Oreo = cookie, therefore the answer is [spoiler]Judge Dredd: Oz[/spoiler].
We never really die.

sheridan

Quote from: I, Cosh on 15 December, 2020, 01:12:02 PM
Oreo = cookie, therefore the answer is [spoiler]Judge Dredd: Oz[/spoiler].

I now have a line about one character referring to another as a tough cookie in my head, but I can't remember which characters were involved...

sheridan

Colin YNWA, followed by Jayzus both got The Ballad of Halo Jones Book III!

Quote from: RebellionCaught in the Web

Her dreams of escape dashed, Halo has ended up on a decaying ghostworld, where the drink is the only thing that hasn't run dry. Having drifted from one dead-end job to another, her credits and hopes for the future have almost run out, but fortunately, the military is looking for new recruits. With no other way out, she enlists.

Quote from: GoogleTranslateOnline

The dream of escaping was a huge success, and Oreo took the life of a corrupt spirit, only a dry drink. From indifference to further indifference, their hopes of success and their future almost faded. But fortunately, the army is looking for new officers. He came in because he had no other choice.

sheridan

And for today:

Quote from: TranslateThe villagers have dug a bigger hole than the powder ... now!

As soldiers, they left in the shower, which was an insect of the jungle and boundless love, a colony of burritos, a species that is often required canned, which makes muscle thought and tasting. Human body! Scary that the army, near civilization, the head of the country, drank in the woods, and failed in the effort of this young man, I warn you, he can not stand anywhere in the sex world, to prepare badly?

Against War in the classic fantasy sci-fi film, Fifty-Six.

AlexF

If Google translate is getting from 'hopes of escape dashed' to 'dreams of escape were a huge success' it looks as if we've got a few years yet before our robot overlords take charge!

As for today's challenge... I would've said [spoiler]Dead Eyes[/spoiler] if it had had its own collection - and we've already had [spoiler]Ant Wars[/spoiler], so it can't be that. So I'm thinking [spoiler]Bad Company: Goodbye Krool World[/spoiler]

sheridan

Technically we had [spoiler]Zancudo[/spoiler], not [spoiler]Ant Wars[/spoiler] so I'll put you down as having gotten it!  Further comment about weird translation things tomorrow.

Dandontdare

AlexF

I mean, I read the phrase "the effort of this young man, I warn you, he can not stand anywhere in the sex world" and immediately thought of [spoiler]John Smith[/spoiler] and [spoiler]Peter Milligan[/spoiler] - who'd've thought it's actually [spoiler]Gerry Finley-Day[/spoiler]?

sheridan

It's always the quiet ones (I have no idea if [spoiler]GFD[/spoiler] is a quiet one or not)

Colin YNWA

I have no idea but that's the best translation yet

Quote from: sheridan on 16 December, 2020, 08:02:08 AM
....As soldiers, they left in the shower, which was an insect of the jungle and boundless love, a colony of burritos, a species that is often required canned, .... I warn you, he can not stand anywhere in the sex world, to prepare badly?

Just absolute gold. Gold.

I want to say [spoiler]Bad Company [/spoiler]so I will but based on very, very little.

Bolt-01

sheridan

The answer is Ant Wars (the previous formican story was Zancudo, not Ant Wars).  AlexF got it right (but then dismissed it due to Zancudo).

Quote from: RebellionTHEY COLONISED EARTH... NOW THEY'RE ALL LARGER THAN GRIZZLY BEARS!

When military personnel spray an untested insecticide on ants in the Brazilian rainforest, the colony mutate into super-intelligent creatures with a taste for human flesh! As the terrifying army head closer towards civilisation, Captain Villa and a young forest native race ahead in the vain attempt to warn an unprepared world!

Written by Gerry Finley-Day (Rogue Trooper), with Art by José Luis Ferrer (Robo-Hunter), Lozano (M.A.C.H.1), Pena (Planet of the Damned) and Azpiri (Black Hawk), Ant Wars is an exhilarating take on the classic sci-fi movies of the fifties and sixties.

Quote from: GoogleThe villagers have dug a bigger hole than the powder ... now!

As soldiers, they left in the shower, which was an insect of the jungle and boundless love, a colony of burritos, a species that is often required canned, which makes muscle thought and tasting. Human body! Scary that the army, near civilization, the head of the country, drank in the woods, and failed in the effort of this young man, I warn you, he can not stand anywhere in the sex world, to prepare badly?

Against War in the classic fantasy sci-fi film, Fifty-Six.

What I think is particuarly interesting is that both Zancudo and Ant Wars start with the following tagline:
Quote from: RebellionTHEY COLONISED EARTH... NOW THEY'RE ALL LARGER THAN GRIZZLY BEARS!

but when Google translated Zancudo it said:
Quote from: GoogleThey're turning the world around ... now it's more than a hard bear right now!

though for Ant Wars the same words came out as:
Quote from: GoogleThe villagers have dug a bigger hole than the powder ... now!