Main Menu

Anyone seen Judge Dolman?

Started by Proudhuff, 19 May, 2021, 11:47:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

The Corinthian

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 19 May, 2021, 12:15:10 PM
Not to mention Vienna's half-sov sprog, who must be 10 or 11 by now.

It took 23 years for Vienna to make a second appearance. They're playing the long game.

BPP

Quote from: The Corinthian on 19 May, 2021, 09:51:12 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 19 May, 2021, 12:15:10 PM
Not to mention Vienna's half-sov sprog, who must be 10 or 11 by now.

It took 23 years for Vienna to make a second appearance. They're playing the long game.

It would be great to have Vienna realistically aged and demanding Joe tell her his secrets to eternal youth middulthood. Can see her raging 'why the Drokk are you so young Joe, WHY????'.
If I'd known it was harmless I would have killed it myself.

http://futureshockd.wordpress.com/

http://twitter.com/#!/FutureShockd

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Richard on 19 May, 2021, 08:53:26 PM
Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 19 May, 2021, 02:57:49 PM
But imagine a story where Dredd has to arrest Vienna.
He already arrested his brother, and subsequently killed him. He also killed Kraken, and Nimrod. Next to that, anything less would be an anticlimax. (And the same thing would be samey.)

Fair point. 
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 May, 2021, 06:48:22 AM
He already arrested his brother, and subsequently killed him. He also killed Kraken, and Nimrod. Next to that, anything less would be an anticlimax. (And the same thing would be samey.)

Fair point.

Wagner was clearly thinking about similar questions as Jayzus: we do almost get that story in the Dolman-kills-a-guy one, where Joe and Vienna fight over Dredd's attitude to his clone's conviction. And the answer is that Joe acts in a most unjudicial fashion to get Dolman off the hook. If there's a thread in the larger Dredd story that still needs teasing out, it's just how far today's Dredd will bend/break the law to protect his 'family'.

Proudhuff

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 20 May, 2021, 06:48:22 AM

Fair point.

Or he could let them off...
DDT did a job on me

Richard

Woolly

Dredd's family has been getting all the more positive and nice ever since Origins. Maybe time for a clone he doesn't get on with?

TordelBack

Quote from: Woolly on 25 May, 2021, 10:07:21 PM
Dredd's family has been getting all the more positive and nice ever since Origins. Maybe time for a clone he doesn't get on with?

I'm still waiting for Rico II to turn bad, and I'm impressed that he hasn't. If I had my druthers, I'd have Joe go rogue (on a point of principle, naturally) and Rico be the one to finally take him down, but I think we all know that's never going to happen.

Link Prime

Quote from: TordelBack on 26 May, 2021, 08:16:15 AM
Quote from: Woolly on 25 May, 2021, 10:07:21 PM

I'm still waiting for Rico II to turn bad, and I'm impressed that he hasn't. If I had my druthers, I'd have Joe go rogue (on a point of principle, naturally) and Rico be the one to finally take him down, but I think we all know that's never going to happen.

Considering a healthy proportion of Dredd's antagonists were from within Justice Department itself, not a crazy idea.
Final panel of 'Long Live the King' by Wagner & MacNeil will of course be a fully painted rendition of a now middle aged Rico removing Dredd's blood stained badge and pinning it on his own chest.
"More than a man...a symbol"

Proudhuff

DDT did a job on me

Dark Jimbo

I don't really get who's asking for Dolman to return. I mean... why? Surely the really interesting thing about Dolman was that he quit the judges, turned his back on Justice Department and left the city. The moment Carroll had him return and become just a judge by proxy, the most interesting thing about him became his beard.

See also: taking away Demarco's millions.
@jamesfeistdraws

JayzusB.Christ

Quote from: Link Prime on 26 May, 2021, 10:18:11 AM
Final panel of 'Long Live the King' by Wagner & MacNeil will of course be a fully painted rendition of a now middle aged Rico removing Dredd's blood stained badge and pinning it on his own chest.

If there had to be a last ever Dredd story, I'd buy that one for a cred.
"Men will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest"

TordelBack

When Wagner himself couldn't get more than a single episode out the DeMarco PI concept, it was perhaps foolish to try. DeMarco as billionaire philanthropist acting as a different pole to Justice Dept at least had the virtue of potentially being different (from undercover stripper-pole DeMarco etc) , but I suppose Chimpsky's one of those now too (billionaire,  not stripper,  although who knows),  and by a similar unlikely act of fiat...

Quote from: JayzusB.Christ on 26 May, 2021, 12:15:23 PM
Quote from: Link Prime on 26 May, 2021, 10:18:11 AM

If there had to be a last ever Dredd story, I'd buy that one for a cred.

Swap out taking the badge for putting on the bloodied helmet, and that's at least two sales.

Funt Solo

Bionic eyes, heart, lungs, limbs ... then, inevitably, eventually, the brain ... Dreddanismo!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Proudhuff

Quote from: Dark Jimbo on 26 May, 2021, 11:27:07 AM
I don't really get who's asking for Dolman to return. I mean... why?

er, that would be me, not specifically asking for his return just his whereabouts... still there could well be some mileage in his story (or his DNA if stolen/copied), Dredd with a conscious rather than a rule book? a High Noon style revenge?  or a  Kind Hearts and Coronets murder mystery bumping off all the hanging chads of Dredd's family...
DDT did a job on me