Main Menu

Gerry Finley-Day or Kenneth Niemand - Writers Solhiem Cup - Tie 11

Started by Colin YNWA, 05 July, 2021, 06:34:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Funt Solo

I really enjoy characters like Chimpsky and Patsy and Wrexler: Niemand understands that good Dredd doesn't need to destroy the city every week. But, why the huge secrecy around the writer's identity? For all I know, Ken is GFD (who did great work on what's now the early prog).

I abstain. Seems weird to vote on a figment.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

i kind of miss the days when the city was under threat almost every week. there's a great deal of chat and hanging out (sometimes literally) these days - which is fine, but i'd rather go to love and rockets for that ...

Dog Deever

Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

Rogue Judge

Quote from: abelardsnazz on 05 July, 2021, 08:11:45 PM
Not sure I've read enough Kenneth to give him a fair score here. Fiends, Harry 20 and a lot of Rogue are classics.

Gerry Finley-Day 4, Kenneth Niemand 1.

Ditto - Gerry Finley-Day 4, Kenneth Niemand 1

AlexF

On the 'Kenneth who?' front, the man himself was on a Thrillcast not too long ago, where it was explained that he's a regular writer on some radio/audio property or other (Dr Who, I'm assuming), and is under some sort of contract there which means he's either not allowed to work for Rebellion under his own name, or he's just being a scamp who likes the attention a pseudonym brings...

...unless that whole things was a massive prank that I fell for and don't understand??

IndigoPrime

Short of this being an absurdly elaborate prank (given the voice and such), it's clearly a pen name, for whatever reason. Nothing wrong with that—and something 2000 AD's done frequently during its history anyway.

Link Prime

Quote from: Funt Solo on 05 July, 2021, 08:52:45 PM
I abstain.

I have to as well.

It feels like this is a Monty Python sketch wherein I'm either the only person who realizes it or the only person who doesn't.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: AlexF on 06 July, 2021, 08:28:53 AM
On the 'Kenneth who?' front, the man himself was on a Thrillcast not too long ago, where it was explained that he's a regular writer on some radio/audio property or other (Dr Who, I'm assuming), and is under some sort of contract there which means he's either not allowed to work for Rebellion under his own name, or he's just being a scamp who likes the attention a pseudonym brings...

...unless that whole things was a massive prank that I fell for and don't understand??

Yeah exactly that. I was all for the mystery and rumour of him being ... well various folks, but there was one clear front runner... but as soon as that interview popped out I was happy to take that at face value and move on (a little sadly I loved the enigma of it all) and just go 'talent radio/audio bloke who needs/chooses to use a pseudonym'.

If not its a lot of faff to go to for a pretty needless joke?

IndigoPrime

"there was one clear front runner"

I never really got that, because the style of these strips did not closely align with any other 2000 AD writer.

Colin YNWA

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 06 July, 2021, 09:55:52 AM
"there was one clear front runner"

I never really got that, because the style of these strips did not closely align with any other 2000 AD writer.

I remember you always saying that, but I enjoyed the rumour mill being the rumour mill and didn't got too bogged down in ... ya know... evidence and facts and nonsense like that!

Link Prime

Quote from: Colin YNWA on 06 July, 2021, 09:34:55 AM
If not its a lot of faff to go to for a pretty needless joke?

A lot of faff? You mean fake social media accounts and one of your mates recording a fake interview while drinking a gifted bottle of Macallan whiskey?

Jayses Colin, I could probably Catfish you if I started a new Forum account under the pseudonym "Pink Lime".

Colin YNWA

Funt Solo

Well, hellooooo there Pink Lime! *tries a winning smile*

Sod it, I'm being a bit precious...

GFD 3 : 2 Niemand

Although mostly that's just nostalgia, I think.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Richard

What if Gerry Finlay-Day is Ken Niemand?

Just in case he's not, I'm voting 5 for Niemand.

paddykafka