Main Menu

Prog 2260 - Judge Klegg Superstar

Started by Barrington Boots, 29 November, 2021, 04:05:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Barrington Boots

Quote from: scrotnig on 30 November, 2021, 11:47:12 PM
What a fantastic cover. The depiction of Sensitive Klegg, both on the cover and in the strip, is absolutely perfect.

Definitely this. I really like the way Sensitive Klegg is drawn to be absolutely terrifying throughout. I think his eyes especially make him look like a legit monster which of course makes things all the funnier.
You're a dark horse, Boots.

Richard

He ought to have a name by now though. Dirty Frank only called him Sensitive Klegg because he didn't know his name, but he's now famous.

Barrington Boots

I agree, but surely that's part of the joke.

I'm surprised nobody else has mentioned [spoiler]Enormo Overdrive[/spoiler] yet, are we all being coy for the benfit of people reading this thread who haven't read the Prog yet, or is it just me who was delighted by this return?

Timothy

norton canes

Just sat down with today's prog, haven't read through it yet, but can someone tell me why the cover line isn't 'BREAK A KLEGG'?

Jacqusie

Quote from: oshii on 30 November, 2021, 10:29:20 PM
I found the forthcoming thrill box very exciting.  Had thst been announced before?  It was news to me.

Is that Wagner and McNeil's first surfer work together since 'Song? I presume it's Chopper, but perhaps it's not.

I'm currently reading the one where he goes to MC2 which is owned by Hondo and it's as bad as it was in 1995...

The Corinthian

I'm not sure that the villain's motives in [spoiler]Judge Dredd: The Musical![/spoiler] make much sense. Surely if he's [spoiler]out to avenge his illustrious forebear[/spoiler] then his target would be [spoiler]Dirty Frank not Dredd and Sensitive, who were basically bit players in the demise of Big Barry Penge[/spoiler].

Also, who cares? It's still great.

Timothy

But as far as most folks know [spoiler]Dirty Frank is dead[/spoiler]

norton canes

Fittingly, let's take it from the top

Another candidate for Cover of the Year and a nice nod, perhaps, to the cover of the 1983 Dredd annual. Inside, that Matchbox K-2001 sets up 'The Musical!' for a glorious tongue-in-cheek tribute to past Dredds. At three parts, this would have made a fantastic panto-styled extended Dredd for the Christmas prog!

Disappointed to see The Diaboliks run end already - it seemed frustratingly short, until I remembered we also had six weeks of the Jenny storyline before the last Regened prog. Sad to see (most of) The Collection appearing so briefly. Give 'em another chance, Tharg!

The remaining stories are all great, too - Dexter is fun in its absurdly strung-out way*, Scarlet Traces is the least-suited to appearing in five-page bursts, and The Out remains a total fever dream.

Looking forward to the three returning strips mentioned in the Nerve Centre.

* That's Bates in the first panel, isn't it? Deliberately not running

Barrington Boots

Quote from: norton canes on 02 December, 2021, 11:26:07 AM
That's Bates in the first panel, isn't it? Deliberately not running

I thought this too and guessed the 'aaargh' was actually her killing off Jordy until we saw him in a later panel, but I still think she's alive and wouldn't be surprised if she ends up in control of the dinosaurs.

broodblik

When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

Colin YNWA

And the prog continues to be bloody majestic... I mean this is good, good, GOOD thrillage isn't it.

Dredd remains hilarious and now has added villainy to drive things.

Diaboliks - I mean we're meant to care about the fate of the evil fuckin' nazi right, right... and yet somehow Grennie and Dom Reardon manage to make me do just that... astonishing!

Dexter fights more dinosaurs... see Dan its simple really. Either make it as good as it used to be*, make it as good as The Out or Lawless OR have them fight dinosaurs, its a simple and lovely fall back!

Scarlet Traces asking humanity to embrace peace and forgive... hmmm... I'm nervous and excited about where this is going....

The Out flips the tone again with a hilarious opening, some deft character moments as cyd shows her indulgent side and then cranks the tension up. This is a masterclass!

*Note to folks who think it should have finished at the end of story X the correct answer to when this was is a little over a year ago actually!

The Enigmatic Dr X

Just to say, my sub prog runs around two weeks late. I get the "Saturday" issue normally on the Thursday or Friday of the following week, ie 12 or 13 days after most here.
Lock up your spoons!

Colin YNWA

Quote from: The Enigmatic Dr X on 04 December, 2021, 08:13:00 AM
Just to say, my sub prog runs around two weeks late. I get the "Saturday" issue normally on the Thursday or Friday of the following week, ie 12 or 13 days after most here.

And that's regularly. Man that's harsh.

The Mind of Wolfie Smith

i don't care at all for the actual klegg story - but that's my cover of the year (composition, draughtsmanship and design) right there.
oh, and scarlet traces is a Great Work of Art. but y'all knew that.