Main Menu

Prog 2262 – The Spirit of Xmas Future

Started by IndigoPrime, 14 December, 2021, 08:01:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Link Prime

Quote from: broodblik on 17 December, 2021, 08:51:33 AM
In the Input page Tharg mentioned [spoiler]another 4 regen progs but so far I have not seen any schedule for it - so I
think it will work in the same fashion we had the last 2 years[/spoiler]

Good news Earthlets - we'll be pushing the final episode of The Citadel back a week to make way for an adventure with wily young Joey Dredd taking on the evil corporate machinations of weaselly Beff Jezos.

Tomontherun94

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 December, 2021, 06:59:57 PM
Old man in pub confused that kids in 2021 don't like the same things he liked in 1981! More at 11!
"Old Man Yells At Tharg"

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: Tomontherun94 on 17 December, 2021, 06:50:06 PM
Quote from: IndigoPrime on 16 December, 2021, 06:59:57 PM
Old man in pub confused that kids in 2021 don't like the same things he liked in 1981! More at 11!
"Old Man Yells At Tharg"

FORUM NEEDS A LIKE BUTTON.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

Quote from: DrRocka on 16 December, 2021, 04:50:54 PM
This is just nothing"... (pointing to the last regened and 2257).

Scarlet Traces, if it had been in early 2000 AD, would have blown your brain out of your arse, as if Galactus had just stomped on your heid. The remaining greasy spot would unfortunately not have been able to continue reading comics.

Just, y'know, to take an example out of prog 2257.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

DrRocka

Or, you know, instead of all laying into me for posting an opinion, give a touch of respect for the fact that I love the Prog enough to devote a corner of my pub to it, and continue to promote both current Prog and Meg to customers alongside classics.
Jesus. Whatever you think of the Prog, you can't deny that it's lost it's punk rock feel that it originally had.
Fucking hell, am I supposed to check whether I'm allowed to say something before I post in future?
Thanks for nothing. Nothing but bullying. Shocked at this kind of behaviour here. Certainly doesn't make me feel welcome round here.
Never ever bloody anything ever

Funt Solo

Oh, come on! If you walk into a bar with a beautifully manicured beard, in a nice suit, with gold cufflinks wearing Billy Connolly's big banana boots - people are going to notice the boots.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

M.I.K.

Talking of which, the aforementioned Regened issue featured a dog urinating on someone and then referring to him as a "jobby wheeker". Which seems a wee bit punk rock to me.

I took the response of a couple of folk here as a mildly irreverent, defense of the comic and certainly nothing remotely approaching "laying into someone" or "bullying".

I mean, getting called "old" can't really be much of an insult when the folk saying it are the exact same demographic.

IndigoPrime

DrRocka: I think it's great that you're devoting a corner of your pub to 2000 AD. It's just this kind of "2000 AD is nothing now compared to when I was reading it in [insert year]" is this kind of relentless thing. If someone doesn't care for or click with 2000 AD anymore, fair enough. If they're against the Regened Progs, I get it. But if person X is berating the modern Prog with the same old tired lines, I'm not surprised people respond with what they think about that.

I can't speak for anyone else, but I do apologise for my comment making you feel unwelcome; that certainly wasn't my intention. But things change. The comics landscape is nothing like it was in 1983. And, frankly, I'm happy about that. When I read old 2000 AD Progs now, there is a certain amount of subversive content absent from modern comics. But you know what else is absent? Diversity. Inclusivity. Much understanding of how the world feels beyond the eyes of a white middle-aged man.

Reading through the Dredd collection and the 2000 AD UC has been very interesting in many ways. I liked certain stories more than I was expecting to — and quite a few an awful lot less. The Prog back then was so often male, white, sexist and middle-aged. Even John Wagner slid into tropes far too often, including certain xenophobic pieces of writing (such as with his treatment of the Japanese). And even the subversion typically amounted to violence and some plucky (male) underdog getting one over on society.

I read my daughter's comics now and again and, yeah, they're quite safe. They're also a lot smarter than the comics I read as a kid. The humour stuff is still silly and yucky at times (I can't imagine people reading last week's Bunny vs Monkey, set in the poo dimension, would suggest that slice of The Phoenix was playing it safer than something that would have been in the Whoppee comics I read as a child.) Mega Robot Bros might look slick on the surface, but that deals with oppression and othering in a way that clicks with kids. As for 2000 AD, I guess it grew up. It's less brash and more thoughtful. But I'll take Brink over Invasion any day.

scrotnig

I love the Regened debates!

What worked for us as kids isn't necessarily what will work for kids today...and Regened is aimed at them!

I'm lucky I guess, insofar as I still enjoy the Regened progs very much, despite being oooolllldddd, but over and above that it's vital the progs attract a new audience to replace us old farts when we expire. That is just a fact of life, and I'd support Tharg trying to do that even I didn't like the material. (But I do!)

Jim_Campbell

Quote from: IndigoPrime on 18 December, 2021, 12:02:31 PM
I can't speak for anyone else, but I do apologise for my comment making you feel unwelcome; that certainly wasn't my intention.

Seconded. Absolutely not my intention. You never quite know how these things are going to read from the other side of the screen. It all read like some fairly good-humoured ribbing from over here, but clearly not from your end, DrRocka, and I'll apologise unreservedly for that.
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

DrRocka

Thanks for the responses lads - and I'll apologies for throwing my toys out of the pram a bit there. Didn't realise how negative I was being. Currently isolating upstairs at the pub with a touch of covid, so my mind may well be a bit overly sensitive at present. Not where I wanna be at the busiest time of year with an industry in tatters and nothing but gloomy clouds on the horizon...
Food for thought there, Indigo - cheers!

Anyway, expertly  course correcting this thread back onto its track - WHERE ARE THE LEGO PICTURES IN THIS YEARS XMAS NERVE CENTRE? Have I managed to miss something somewhere along the line this year?
Never ever bloody anything ever

Tomontherun94

Yeah sorry about that comment buddy, didn't realise it seemed so mean-spirited until I read it back. Just couldn't resist slipping in a lil Simpsons reference in there. Hope you feel better soon!

IndigoPrime

Get well, DrRocka, and here's hoping the government finally gets its shit together and recognises short, sharp lockdowns are the way forward and have less impact on businesses like yours.

As for the Lego, I recall our resident expert hadn't been doing much of it this year, alas. His kids appear to be entering their Lego dark age.

SmallBlueThing(Reborn)

I think the most important question that remains u answered here is- where is your pub?

This year's end-of-year prog was a bit hit and miss for me. I'm not relishing going into the new year with Kingmaker and The Order, but Dredd, Dexter, The Out and the majority of the other content was all top stuff. Really dont like pages being taken up with interviews- especially of only "nostalgic interest for long-term readers". That's surely the purview of The Meg? I don't want the prog and The Meg to be interchangeable, ever. Would have preferred some quizzes and maybe an overview of the last year or something. Also- moan moan moan- didn't like the cover at all.

Other than that, happy new year everyone!

SBT

IndigoPrime

Covers! That reminds me: that covers bookazine must be out now. Might have to risk a trip into town for that during the week...