Main Menu

Rebel Moon (2023)

Started by karlos, 22 August, 2023, 07:35:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim_Campbell

Wow... that's a beautifully rendered/shot collection of startlingly obvious visual cliches.

I'm assuming the pitch for this was "It's Suckerpunch, only Star Wars".
Stupidly Busy Letterer: Samples. | Blog
Less-Awesome-Artist: Scribbles.

Funt Solo

I was getting hints of the sort of galactic drama we've been screened recently with Foundation and Dune. Of course, there's no arguing the Star Wars link because A) light-sabers, B) it's got "Rebel" in the title and C) it "began development as a Star Wars film"

I enjoyed the trailer - it looks like good action sci-fi. Hopefully, the villains won't pontificate too much.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

karlos

https://youtu.be/fhr3MzT6exg?feature=shared

Another trailer - bits look great, other bits look, to me, derivative but hey, I'm still looking forward to it.

RookieNerd

Snyder has done anything artistic since Watchmen. If it's ends up like a dumb fun popcorn flick like Aqua-man I will probably see it at some point.

karlos

Out now on Netflix and I caught it earlier today.

It's fun enough but not spectacular.

If you are not a Snyder fan will this convert you? Probably not.

Anyway, there's always a place in my heart for big, daft sci-fi, and I'm sure in yours, too.

rogue69

Just watched this, it's Zack Snyder does 7 Samurai meets Star Wars whilst using imagery from the old Imperial Russia to show the bad guys. It is trying to be an epic on the lines of Dune but feels more like the Chronciles of Riddick. Not a bad film all together definitely worth a watch

Barrington Boots

Rubbish Moon more like.
In fairness not a huge fan of previous Snyder stuff and this was very Snyder-y. Felt like a bunch of cardboard cutout characters in various cool set pieces, strung togther by the thinnest of plot. Great dislikable villain though!
You're a dark horse, Boots.

broodblik

I enjoyed it but it felt a little bit disjointed
When I die, I want to die like my grandfather who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car.

Old age is the Lord's way of telling us to step aside for something new. Death's in case we didn't take the hint.

The Legendary Shark

I fell asleep a third of the way in and didn't bother rewinding when I woke up. Pish.

[move]~~~^~~~~~~~[/move]

Funt Solo

Quote from: Funt Solo [R] on 23 August, 2023, 12:42:30 AMI was getting hints of the sort of galactic drama we've been screened recently with Foundation and Dune. Of course, there's no arguing the Star Wars link because A) light-sabers, B) it's got "Rebel" in the title and C) it "began development as a Star Wars film"

I enjoyed the trailer - it looks like good action sci-fi. Hopefully, the villains won't pontificate too much.

Shit Moon, more like. Black sidekick dies. The entire village walk around a corner in "most stupidly choreographed sequence in a movie ever". The "let's meet the gang" sequence of vignettes doesn't tie into any of the rest of the movie. Chekhov's gun, you fucks! Mini-Solo uttered "how come none of the bullets ever hit her"? Engage your Willing Suspension of Shitbelief bafflers and turn them up to eleventy-stupid.
++ A-Z ++  coma ++

Link Prime

Anecdotally, I know a lot of non-genre fans who watched this over the holiday period and really liked it.
I though it was watchable, but nothing special.
Better than Episodes VII / VIII, but that's no stretch.

Worst sin was the not very memorable ship designs.

Daveycandlish

I watched the first 45 mins of this and started to question my life choices.
Off it went.
An old-school, no-bullshit, boys-own action/adventure comic reminiscent of the 2000ads and Eagles and Warlords and Battles and other glorious black-and-white comics that were so, so cool in the 70's and 80's - Buy the hardback Christmas Annual!

Funt Solo

Possible spoilers: this was my favorite part of Rebel Moon: Tarak rides Bennu!
++ A-Z ++  coma ++