Main Menu

The Political Thread

Started by The Legendary Shark, 09 April, 2010, 03:59:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Modern Panther

Oh no, the political thread us back! Die, Politics, Die!

Glad to hear that the Russian missiles are the sort that only kill mad jihadists, and not the pro-democracy forces who started the fight.  Or even the planes of western armies who dare intervene in a fight the Russians have now intervened in.  When Russia is a shining example that governments aspire to, we're all screwed.

Sideshow Bob

Last two threads !!!!    ^^    ....Wonderful stuff !!...

Sarcasm and Wit Rule....... :D
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Stan

Quote from: Temponaut on 29 May, 2013, 10:28:54 AM
Oh no, the political thread us back! Die, Politics, Die!

Glad to hear that the Russian missiles are the sort that only kill mad jihadists, and not the pro-democracy forces who started the fight.  Or even the planes of western armies who dare intervene in a fight the Russians have now intervened in.  When Russia is a shining example that governments aspire to, we're all screwed.

The Russians didn't intervene first. We did by sending 'aid' to a bunch of foreign mercenaries and misc Syrians who seem quite happy to see said mercs butcher their fellow citizens.

Modern Panther

I didn't claim they intervened first.  The Russian intervention, however, is calculated to prevent western governments from becoming involved. Handing over surface to air missiles has given Russia a monopoly in foreign intervention. I find that troubling, since pseudo - democratic Russia is not a country i would feel comfortable about having more control in the middleeast.

Your argument appears to be that it is a good thing to arm oppressive regimes in order to prevent the rise of other oppressive regimes.  My argument is that foriegn weapons in the hands if the Syrian government won't just be used against mad jihadists.  They'll be used against the pro western pro democratic forces as well.  They'll be used to butcher the very same civilians your worried about.

Stan

Well yeah, it's a faux-civil war and I understand the wrong people will die. Both we and the Americans have had a few between us. It's horrible and should be unnecessary in this day and age, but still none of my business. More importantly though, I don't see how funding Al Qaeda and their child soldiers can ever be morally acceptable.

Not that I'm accusing you of anything. I get where you're coming from and understand there's a huge gray area in the middle of this whole mess.

Stan

One of the reasons I specifically refer to our politicians as despicable is because they cherry pick which countries they intervene in based on who they do and don't like. It's hypocrisy. At least if they bombed everyone equally I might be tempted to believe they're not quite morally bankrupt after all.

Definitely Not Mister Pops

You may quote me on that.

Stan

*something controversial and rage-inducing*

COMMANDO FORCES

Damned if you do, damned if you don't!

Hawkmumbler

Frank

Quote from: COMMANDO FORCES on 30 May, 2013, 01:48:32 AM

http://www.bbc.co.uk/iplayer/episode/b021v4cg/The_Iraq_War_Regime_Change/

My favourite bit is Dick Cheney's (apparently unintentional) paradoxical statement; "we learned you have to work with what you've got, and anyone was better than Saddam".

Spikes

Quote from: sauchie on 30 May, 2013, 07:39:12 PM

My favourite bit is Dick Cheney's (apparently unintentional) paradoxical statement; "we learned you have to work with what you've got, and anyone was better than Saddam".

Caught this last night, Sauchie. And what a thoroughly depressing watch. Everything about it just reaks of madness.
Did we really live through all that, and only a few short years ago?

Sideshow Bob

Quote from: Judge Jack on 30 May, 2013, 08:54:56 PM
Quote from: sauchie on 30 May, 2013, 07:39:12 PM

Caught this last night, Sauchie. And what a thoroughly depressing watch. Everything about it just reaks of madness.
Did we really live through all that, and only a few short years ago?

Just watched this again and cannot believe how many half truths, downright lies and dis-information we were subjected to prior to going to War.....
Millions of people worldwide rejected the premise that we 'needed' to wage war on Saddam.....A million people protested in London........and 'our' Government still didn't listen....
For me one of the ultimate excuses....It was the Frenchs' fault because they voted against us......
FFS ..........!!
Sometimes you just get 'weary' of all the lies we are fed.........But it still doesn't seem to change.. :'(
" This is absolutely NO PLACE for a lover of Food, Fine Wine and the Librettos of RODGERS and HAMMERSTEIN "......Devlin Waugh.

My Comic Art Fans Gallery :  http://www.comicartfans.com/GalleryDetail.asp?GCat=91890

Modern Panther

My congratulations to Mark Millar on receiving his MBE in recognition of his contribution to the industry.

I have nothing sarcastic to say.

Taryn Tailz

I think it's only a matter of time before there will be a full blown revolution in a major European country. Turkey seems to be the prime candidate at the minute, but I wouldn't be suprised if either Greece or Spain had a revolution. Of course if one troubled country started it's own revolution then that could be the catalyst for others to join suite.