Main Menu

Prog 2032 - Shock and Awe!

Started by Eamonn Clarke, 20 May, 2017, 03:20:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AlexF

Quote from: Richard on 24 May, 2017, 08:55:57 PM
Quote...or Tharg might've had to consider pulping the Prog.

I doubt it. There's always an explosion or massacre or something violent in the prog, so every time something like that happens in real life there'd be a relevant story going on at the same time which people could draw a parallel with. But no prog has ever been pulled before.

It's not like cancelling a film or episode on TV and then showing it a few weeks later, which is easy to do. The logistical and commercial difficulties of cancelling a publication would be a nightmare.

You're quite right; in any event, this Prog will have been printed and shipped before the news broke; too late at that point. I hope Eglington and Dyer don't get any flak from it, they don't deserve to as overall it's was a rather good Dredd story.

In a weird coincidence, my current Megazine re-read has just arrived on the issue from July 2005, the one that shipped shortly after the bombs on the London underground. In his editorial Alan Barnes talks about whether or not he should censor or skip over that month's episode of Charley's War reprints, because they open with people saying 'quick, everyone, flee into the Underground! We'll be safe from the bombs in there!'. Barnes decided not to do anything, and with hindsight he was 100% right. Indeed, if he hadn't drawn attention to it in his editorial, re-reading that episode now wouldn't have struck me as anything other than a fair representation of the World War one verison of the Blitz.

The Monarch

Quote from: Magnetica on 24 May, 2017, 08:43:08 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 24 May, 2017, 01:42:55 PM
Quote from: SuperSurfer on 24 May, 2017, 01:14:32 PM
Quote from: sheridan on 24 May, 2017, 01:02:48 PM
Have to disagree with that one - the announcement of a 7" record got this:
Allow me to make the most annoying comment in record collecting: I've got the 12inch. Wish I had one of the giant size posters that were fly-posted around town when that (crap) single was out, though.

You can go back to talking about the prog now.

Pretty sure I managed to snag the 12" as well at some point - did you see video for that?

I had never seen that before - I think Suggs sums it up nicely at the end "what a load of old grot" - and wasn't he one of The Fink Brothers?

Does that get the prize for the worse Mean Machine costume of all time?

And who was that scarecrow bloke meant to be???

going by the name they went by maybe fink angel?

Magnetica

Quote from: norton canes on 25 May, 2017, 10:22:09 AM
Scarlet Traces - Well, this bizarre story moves on, not my favourite but it's never dull. I think it suffers from a surfeit of spindly bald men, I've lost track of which one's which.

Very much this. Would it really be that hard to make different characters actually look different? It really makes it difficult to follow when you are going "who's that again?" half the time.

TordelBack

Quote from: Magnetica on 25 May, 2017, 02:11:48 PM
Quote from: norton canes on 25 May, 2017, 10:22:09 AM
Scarlet Traces - Well, this bizarre story moves on, not my favourite but it's never dull. I think it suffers from a surfeit of spindly bald men, I've lost track of which one's which.

Very much this. Would it really be that hard to make different characters actually look different? It really makes it difficult to follow when you are going "who's that again?" half the time.

There are indeed four whole spindly baldies in The Cold War, but thanks to being drawn by a God Amongst Art Droids they are incredibly easy to tell apart. 

Ask yourself these questions:

Are they BLUE?  (If so, it's Ahron Shakespeare, a Venusian immigrant)

Do they have BOLTS STICKING OUT OF THEIR HEAD? (if so, it's a Martian consciousness in a humanoid body).

Are they PREGNANT? (if so, it's the FEMALE human/Martian hybrid that carries the future of the Martian race, whose name I have temporarily and embarrassingly forgotten).   

Are they just a VANILLA SPINDLY BALDY? (if so it's Iykarus, the David Bowie-alike from the first book).

Also, I don't see the perspective-thing on the cover at all - because I am blinded by the glory that is Matt Brooker on the printed page.

Magnetica

Yes you are correct.

But even in your mild rebuke, you also re-enforce the point, given you can't remember two of their names - sort of. (Humanoid Martian consciousness doesn't count as a name). :)

TordelBack

I can remember the name of the bald spindly dinosaur bloke if that makes it any better! (Sohna).

And i've just remembered his girlie's name too - Irya.  But I confess that the Martian's name eludes me completely - does he even have one?

Magnetica

Using Tordel's handy guide I re-read all of the current run of Scarlet Traces and yes it makes perfect sense.

For good measure I did the same with Deadworld and it too makes perfect sense (even with 2 blank speech bubbles).

I really must pay more attention from now on.

TordelBack

Quote from: Magnetica on 26 May, 2017, 05:45:49 AM
Using Tordel's handy guide I re-read all of the current run of Scarlet Traces and yes it makes perfect sense.

For good measure I did the same with Deadworld and it too makes perfect sense (even with 2 blank speech bubbles).

A noticeable improvement in your engagement with the material Magnetica; if you can sustain this new attitude into next term I think we can have a reasonable expectation of a B+ overall. You've always had the ability, all that was lacking was a bit of application.

Does bolt-head have a name?,

Timothy

Magnetica

:D

Yes that'll have to do, as no he didn't have a name in the story.

sheridan

Quote from: Magnetica on 26 May, 2017, 05:45:49 AM

I haven't been paying attention - have completely missed the spindly bald martians in Deadworld ;)

Magnetica

Well it does have bald automaton zombie Judges in it. Does that count?

Cyber-Matt

Quote from: Magnetica on 26 May, 2017, 07:59:15 AM
:D

Yes that'll have to do, as no he didn't have a name in the story.

Yes, he did. He's Captain Skellern, who was grabbed by the Martians when they first landed on Venus in part 6 of Cold War Book 1 back in Prog 1993. It's his body they've been using to create a new form.

Magnetica

Thanks your Thargness. Will have to dig those Progs out.

TordelBack

I'm just disappointed that wasn't prefaced with "THARGNOTE:".