Main Menu

McMahon "swipes"

Started by BPP, 05 September, 2010, 11:09:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jock

that's exactly right. mike was 19 at the time (i think) and was told outright to ape carlos' style. as greg staples was told to ape bisley's painted style when he started. i think he was 19 at the time too.

'the average age of a combat art droid in north king's reach tower is...'

Staz Johnson

Quote from: ming on 09 September, 2010, 11:03:56 AM

I'm very vague on the details, but wasn't the use of Ezquerra's style requested at an editorial level, rather than McMahon just mimicking Ezquerra for the sake of it?

I may be completely wrong on that, but I'm sure someone will be along shortly with a copy of TPO in their trousers (mine are in the wash).

Oh absolutely.. I made that point exactly in an earlier post, but my point is, whether thru editorial direction, or paying homage to a creator you admire, or simply to break thru the occasional creative mind freeze, this kind of 'borrowing' is a part of the industry. It's nothing new, & it still continues today.. I've lost count of the number of artists who borrow from Mike Mignola or Adam Hughes or (in the past) Jim Lee. I was guilty of the latter when I renentered comics after a 2 year absense to work in advertising/commercial art. I called Marvel UK who where then at the peak of the whole 'Death's Head' boom, & was told in no uncertain terms.."buy some Jim Lee comics, & if you can draw like that.. & we'll give you a book" . Did I balk at the idea? No.. I went out & bought a copy of the first WildCats trade, & after realising that the trick was NOT to draw like Jim Lee, but infact to ape Scott Williams inking style over the top on my basic drawing,I did one sample page & a few days later was handed a 4 issue mini series. Did I feel guilty? Not a bit of it.. that was what the market was craving, & Jim Lee simply couldn't draw ALL the books that people wanted drawn like that.

James Stacey

Curiously I was reading the Dredd Mega History this week and it mentions how angry Mick was with people swiping his drawings and I wondered at the time who and how. A day later without prompting the board delivers. Well done all

Richmond Clements

QuoteA day later without prompting the board delivers.

Really? You think so?

You honestly don't think that we're watching your every move..?

Emperor

Quote from: Richmond Clements on 09 September, 2010, 02:31:07 PM
QuoteA day later without prompting the board delivers.

Really? You think so?

You honestly don't think that we're watching your every move..?

And could you please stop doing "that" James, it is nauseating.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+