Main Menu

Mick McMahon starts blogging

Started by Emperor, 18 June, 2011, 02:54:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hippynumber1

A fascinating insight into Mick's process. Wonderful!

Spikes

Aye, a lovely insight into the process. I hope its not all as frustrating as he seems to imply, either.
Im sure he loves it all, really!

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: ming on 03 September, 2013, 08:32:50 PM
For Mick's sake, I hope some things just fall together nicely at the first attempt sometimes (but I suspect not).  Anyway, bootiful, bootiful stuff.

As an artist I must say Mick's blog is immensely gratifying, because he's so unbearably hard on himself and is incredibly honest about how hard he finds certain pieces. If it still happens to a legend like McMahon, there's hope for all of us!
@jamesfeistdraws

IndigoPrime

I just wish Tharg would give him a (minimum) three-part Wagner-scripted Dredd to work on. He's one of the greats and needs to be in the prog far more often (and with better material than that Slaine one-shot).

Darren Stephens

https://www.dscomiccolours.com
                                       CLICK^^

Dunk!

Wow, "new" McMahon art from my favourite period, great stuff.

Will be tracking down a copy.

Dunk!
"Trust we"

Frank

QuoteI drew this around the time I was working on the Judge Dredd serial 'Block Mania', and both were inked by filling in the shadows with a brush and then doing the linework with a dip pen, the idea being that you didn't waste time drawing lines around areas that would eventually be solid black – 'Put the blacks in first, Micky', as Mister Gibbons was wont to advise.

If that isn't the single greatest piece of art advice anyone has ever given, I want to hear what is. Astonishing that someone so accomplished and with such an idiosyncratic and expressive style as McMahon was taking pointers from other artists, but that tells you everything you need to know about his approach and his motivation for producing new work.

Zarjazzer

WOW that bit of works marvellous. Lovely b& w art.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.

Spikes

Any lottery winner's amongst us might like to know he's selling the original art to his recent Slaine episode. Pencils, and full inked pages are available.

Fungus

Great stuff  :)

A truly rubbish day today and this find has cheered me up.
New (old) McMahon...

Prog 1851 an unexpected treat too (after last week).

JOE SOAP

I have that issue of Starblazer and it deserves an over-size treatment, if the art still exists.

Andy_Lee

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 September, 2013, 10:26:38 PM

I have that issue of Starblazer and it deserves an over-size treatment, if the art still exists.

IIRC DC Thompson kept hold of artwork. It's either landfill or some where in DCT Towers. Great stuff, never seen that issue in the flesh

SKD

Quote from: JOE SOAP on 29 September, 2013, 10:26:38 PM

Now that would be fantastic. :thumbsup:

...And talking of fantastic http://tuggingyourcoat.com/2013/09/27/hellboy/ Mignola/McMahon. I'm one happy bunny.

Stew.

Zarjazzer

I bought Starblazer 71 (1982) as I couldn't resist reading the whole thing. It is old school thrills,  space hero battles da alien menace and their machinery, nicely done but bonkers ending. I wonder who wrote it?
"Jaws of Death" the title sells itself...Some ace covers for other issues I saw on e-bay as well.
The Justice department has a good re-education programme-it's called five to ten in the cubes.