Main Menu

Millar's KaPow Comic Con London - April 9th n 10th

Started by Colin YNWA, 29 November, 2010, 11:38:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CrazyFoxMachine

What a surprise... Millar not supporting the small press... 

San Diego in the UK - hm. See y'all at the next proper convention where I'll be trying to peddle my insignificant homemade comics :O

pauljholden

Well, you could make the argument that the UK comic industry has shrunk to the point where it's ALL small press (bar one or two minor exceptions) and the Millar's intent is to target a massive mainstream audience (who expect all comic book related things to be labelled KAPOW!) many of those people will (who had never really been in to comics), may end up being unfulfilled by the mainstream material and seek out the wider range of work available in the small press. In a nutshell : you need a big mainstream audience in order to have a small wider audience.

You could also make the argument that the small press audience/creators are well served by a bunch of comic cons around the UK - but where oh where will superhero fans be able to fill up on material?

(I fully expect to be covering these arguments in detail/hazy vagueness during the next sunnyside comics podcast - so tune in next time!)

-pj

Peter Wolf

Since Matt Smith is present will there be a 2000ad stand ?
Worthing Bazaar - A fete worse than death

COMMANDO FORCES

There seems to be no official stand but just look at those confirmed already. There be some Grandmasters of 2000AD in that bunch :D

Dunk!

Being a kneejerk kind of person I'd already booked before I saw this name - Kevin O'Neill.

Wow. Anyone who wants to see a grown man reduced to a gibbering wreck should queue up with me when I meet Kevin for the first time.

Bit of a hero of mine.
"Trust we"

COMMANDO FORCES

Quote from: Dog Deever on 29 November, 2010, 04:24:18 PM
Gaaah!
Steve Dillon will be there, and it's in bloody London.
Great- another 'must go' I'll miss.
:(

I reckon it's up to you and the Scots to organise a Trek of some kind to get down to this DD ;)

Colin Zeal

Just bought my ticket before checking the fixture list. Orient at home that day but I don't mind missing the match. This is my chance to get a Zenith sketch if Steve Yeowell goes in for that sort of thing.

COMMANDO FORCES

It says in the info on Bleeding Cool that the location has a  full capacity, 5000, with stalls and booths, around 3000. This has me wondering what the full ticket allocation will be and if people don't get in fast will they miss out.

Don't leave it too late  ;)

Colin YNWA

Well got a weekend pass and was debating whether this was the right event to go to next year ahead of Bristol or Birmingham... then thought sod it and booked. So I guess I'm going. Now whether to book a hotel or crash at a friends?

Robo-K33F

COMMANDO FORCES

Kev Levell

The 2000ad presence makes me think it's worth popping down for a day. Any opportunity to peddle my wares could be the one that makes the difference... anyone else just going for a day?

Colin YNWA

CrazyFoxMachine

Yeah 2000ad changes up the game a bit. I think you're right as well about mass comics exposure having a positive impact on those below.

bluemeanie

Totally put off by the whole VIP thing.

Plus I'm sure I can get the whole con experience by just watching my twitter as everyone sends "Im just bought @wossy 's comic! Ive not read it but its great! Please RT @wossy!" updates every ten fucking seconds.