Main Menu

Strontium Dog RPG

Started by ukdane, 21 July, 2009, 08:57:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TordelBack

I can't swear to its deep history, but Traveller was in its 'little black book' form when I played it as a lad (fadó, fadó), and it was essentially rules for a generic SF setting, with plenty of nods to Niven, Anderson  and Asimov already in place.  I think this was later formalised as 'the Imperium', but the roots seemed to be there.

Bouwel

As I haven't touched a RPG in many, many years I idly flicked through this thread until I noticed the Traveller comments.

I too have the little black books (many, many of them) and I was astounded to see it still in print and that the new books retail at twenty-five quid a pop! Many happy memories of playing this over a terribly un-productive year in 6th form college back in 1983-84. I recall a fun time was had playing a Traveller/RuneQuest crossover game that essentially went You see some Marines and they're armed with *BOOM*...Oh, you're dead.

I guess I should have a dig in the lock-up and see if I still have the books stashed away somewhere. Further comments will follow if I find anything.

-Bouwel-
(Who always played Aslan, which explians a lot really)
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

Dandontdare

I recently found my old traveller books that had been in the loft for twenty odd years (minus book 2 - wonder who I lent that to...GRRRR!) along with my own Strontium Dog adaptation - no £25 sourcebooks here, just three pages bashed out on old manual typewriter!

Bouwel

Those certainly look like the one's I have.

For the moment torrential rain has stopped any chance of getting to the lock-up but it's on my to-do list.

-Bouwel-
(Your parents must have been posh; I never had a typewriter!)
-A person's mind can be changed by reading information on the internet. The nature of this change will be from having no opinion to having a wrong opinion-

TordelBack

The days of my life I spent two-finger typing up RPG adventures on my Mum's old typewriter are positively terrifying to recall.  I recently re-encountered a three-ring binder containing an entire D&D campaign in single-space no-margins, on both sides of what appeared to be hand-cut pieces of paper, complete with half-page-width gaps left for miniscule maps, diagrams and awful NPC portraits.  WTF was I thinking!

(Well, probably I was thinking just how much fun I'd be having with my friends and my brother come the Friday night game, and I was right - it was fab, and the hard work helped them be so.  Plus any investment of time can be set against the fact that my future wife was a role-player, and thus cunningly disguised GM favouritism may have eroded her defences somewhat.  Probably worth at least -5 on her Save versus Horny Nerd.  None of which addresses the key question: why did I TYPE the bloody things?).

Dog Deever

Oh yeah- definitely agree- there was a time when all that hard work was what it was all about- there weren't as many AD&D supplements around and most shops up in the Northern Wastes didn't stock anything anyway. It was all done 'by hand' and it was great. Now I don't get time to play let alone anything else- fuck, I have A wife, four kids, 3 jobs, 7 pets, a band and I do a little bit of fanzine doodles. Oh, and the Internet!

It's all I can do to fit sleeping and eating in jus'-noo!

I did introduce my kids to RPG's (not in the rocket launching sense, though) and one of them is quite keen on zombie survival-fest "All flesh Must Be Eaten". Not played it myself but I'd imagine it's fun for a while then gets a bit samey.
I do think I'm a bit long in the tooth to learn the D20 system properly though-it's too complicated with too much number-crunching.
Just a little rough and tumble, Judge man.

ThryllSeekyr

Well it seems that "traveller" has abit of following here and Dantondare must be stoked that a "Strontium Dog" RPG is being made acccording to the rules of this game alone. After you've done this yourself many years before. Unless you the one who's now working on it. You must be surprised at the coinicdence.

Did I mention how much I enjoy playing the two to three gaming sessions of "RoleMaster" despite the gamemaster having to juggle throught neaerly a dozen manuls at the time. The game did involve alot tables abd charts and if you roled high on on table, thenyou had to referr to another table which need to be rolled on alos. Sometimes in another bokk. Often you would have to several books opend infront of you at the time. The game master did didn't could tolorate this for more than few games and sole me all his books for eighty dollars AUD. I still have them. The were original RoleMaster rules also, not the newer ones that were published in the mid to late ninties.  When I foirst played they gave me pre-generated character. A duelist, who couldn't proficiently fight more than one opponent at a time. We had some with the the game mechanics of combat. Where you could randomly hit body parts with interesting results. The chance to radomly decapitate you opponent was always there. You would referr to different table separately for your class, physical stats, type of weapon, just so you don't disembowle some beastie  only weilding a toothpick. That was half the fun. For another game I had spent extencive time generating another character. A type of rapier weilding dandy, like one of the famed Mucketeers. Having talent for poetic inspiration. Alot of social skills had some randomly rooled up backgrond skills such as bonus for throwing hand held weapons which combined with chosen skills such as throwing melle weapon. Which seemd pretty cool for me at the time. Sadly I never got as far as starting that game. Such was the complications of playing "RoleMaster" 

TordelBack

Quote...thenyou had to referr to another table which need to be rolled on alos.

TS, are you typing from the far side of the room again?   ;)

ThryllSeekyr

QuoteDeever Dog.....

I don't get much chance to play anything anymore- but I still buy some books and supplements and have a read.

Sounds like me. There was tme when I used to share a house with people I used to game with. Since that time I have purchased a cfew AD&D books which used alot, but I also brought rules for other gaming systems. Avalon's Hill's "Tales From the Floating Vagabond" and White Wolf's Werewolf the Appocalpse" which I brought most of the books for during that time. I never played any of those games, expcet once at a gaming convention and few games of "Vampire  The Masqurade"

Since we have gone our separate ways regarding our living arrangements. We have stopped playing those games. Well, Atleeast I have. I just haven't been moving in the same social cirlces with for quite a while. About ten years atleast.

For while there, a few years, I had been part of gaming social club just before year 2000. When it had closed down a short while after I had stopped going there.

If I purchase any game rules theese days. It's mainly for the reading. That would dtwenty Slaine and Judge Dredd as well as Rune Quest Slaine. I don't think I would be playing any of those games. I But I enjoy the reading the rules.

QuoteTordelback wrote...

TS, are you typing from the far side of the room again?   

Alot of the time I type n th e wireless keyboard while lying on the bunch of cushions that I can only loosely call a bed. On th e far side of the room from my  moniter. The distnace is barely two to three metres away. Well, they say you shouldn't sit too  close to the screen.

My main problem is that the scroller for the textbox on this message board keeps scrolling backup if I try to type anything further than a page. If you get myy meaning. It's a weird glithc, and I 'm not sure if it has more to do with my set-up or the changes on the website. Though it's like typing blind.