Main Menu

Meg 302

Started by pauljholden, 11 September, 2010, 09:09:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

O Lucky Stevie!

Diamond are allegedly shipping this week.
"We'll send all these nasty words to Aunt Jane. Don't you think that would be fun?"

paddybrown

Bought the meg last week and only bothered to read the Charlie the Squirrel interview. Just been through a pile of megs and read "Cadet" and "Judgement Call", thinking nobody can write Dredd worth a damn but Wagner. Then read "Twenty Years to Midnight", and realised I was wrong. Al, that was brilliant. Superbly paced, hard-hitting and very funny at the same time. You maybe don't have Wagner's streak of pure evil, but there are no girls' comics do do your apprenticeship on these days. Fabulous performance by Henry as well. Just the set of Jimmie's mouth and his patchy stubble are so completely right. Chopper as a chat show guest looks subtly broken. Nobody can draw wee America like Colin MacNeil though, so good decision to keep her helmet on.

I'll get round to reading the rest of the mag at some point.

DrJomster

Right. Decided to FINALLY jump on as a result of the new Megacast.... And reckoned the 20th anniversary Meg was a good place to start. One purchase from Clickwheel later and I have to say I was VERY impressed. Particularly the Ewing/Flint Dredd. Don't want to just repeat what's been said before, but let's put it this way... "Roll on Meg 303!" :D
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.

TordelBack

While 'tidying' my comics heap, I started reading The Balls Brothers free GN.  I thought I'd read it all before, in fact I thought I'd read this collection before, but apparently not.  The second story was running in the Prog when I returned from my Long Walk at the end of the 90's, and I liked it well enough for the art, but couldn't really see the point.  

Reading it all together last night, I thought it was a little gem of a strip - funny throughout and with some really outstanding art.  I particularly enjoyed the "DiggleCo Human Waste Management" shit-filled lorry.  I can see why there wasn't any more (what else could you do with the characters?), but it definitely ranks as one of 2000AD's better humour strips.

Proudhuff

Quote from: TordelBack on 16 February, 2011, 01:41:45 PM
but it definitely ranks as one of 2000AD's better humour strips.

Damned with faint praise there TB?
DDT did a job on me

TordelBack

Quote from: Proudhuff on 16 February, 2011, 02:05:14 PM
Damned with faint praise there TB?

Hah!  I resemble that implication.  

Nah, I'm a actually a big fan of many of the funny strips:  Sooner or Later, Lobster Random, Bonjo from Beyond the Stars, Droid Life, all tickle my receptors.  I'd agree that pure humour a very hard thing to get right in 2000AD, but when it works it's magic.

DrJomster

Have to say I was really pleasantly surprised with Balls Brothers! I was expecting something I wouldn't even finish, but instead I went through in one go! Wish they were all like that in fact!
The hippo has wisdom, respect the hippo.