Main Menu

Prog 1578 : BIOHAZARD

Started by Buttonman, 17 March, 2008, 10:31:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

I, Cosh

Bah! How can the posties of Paisley be so right while - only a few short miles away - their Cathcart brothers are so wrong?
We never really die.

Pete Wells

Maaan, Cosh, you never seem to get the prog on time, you have my sympathies mate!

As for the prog:

Cover: Meh, sorry Simon.

Dredd: Art still feels a bit wrong for the story but would be fabbo in a less important, more lightweight tale. Script-wise, the story carries on at pace. Cool retort from the Fargos under harsh questionning, a great one liner from Dredd "You will!", Fargo, PJ/Ambrose, Total War and a cliffhanger ending - sheesh!

One thing, it's wierd how John keeps spookily reflecting current news events in Dredd. We had the Sex Mek Slasher when those poor prostitutes were murdered last year then a kidnapping during the Shannon Matthews case. Is he a Psi?

Savage: A cool episode this week. I particularly like the last page, it reminded me of Dirty Den's 'death' when I was a kid!

Dead Eyes: 'Orrible, in a good way! Fantastic art and a creepy, wacky script. I like it!

The Ten Seconders: Nice to see Dom's art in colour, shame the whole episode took about two minutes to read.

Dante: Brilliant as ever. It's great to get a bit of back story about Jena and I always enjoy Elena, she's cool. Burns does a fantastic job as per usual.

In summary, 2008 continues to be an excellent year for thrillpower, hooray!

Bad Andy

Most of the stuff in the prog is bubbling along nicely, but I just don't get John Smith and don't see any appeal in his storylines.

I didn't like Indigo Prime, Firekind was just alright, Tyranny Rex is pointless and Leatherjack was pish - god knows why that's being released as a trade.

These days when I see a Smith story I expect three months of strange crap for strangeness sake followed up by a less than satisfactory conclusion.

I really hope I'm proven wrong on this one and it is quite good. I didn't mind last week's installment although it had forced dialogue in places, but this episode just tried my patience. In fairness, that is partly down to the artwork. It's a wee bit too dark and I could understand who/what was going on at times. It should be like a magic eye puzzle where you're struggling to see what it's supposed to be.

Trout

W. R. Logan

Great Prog except for the Dredd art, week 2 and I dislike it more than last week. Its just wrong for this story and had me just skim reading over it.

McNulty

And now for my comments if I may...

Dredd: I have to agree that I can't get into the art of this story at all. As for the story, I'm enjoying it. I don't suppose Vienna's relationship with Dredd is common knowledge to the public as it would lead to an attempt on her life no doubt. A shame, because I believe she would have liked to have met her relatives. Still, there's always the rest of the Fargo/Dredd clones around.

Savage: Was the stand-up (who was sitting down) supposed to be Ben Elton? I also smiled at the ABC Warrior reference! I believe Noddy is going to shoot the patrolmen. I don't think he wants to and there will be consequences from it but there you are.

Dead Eyes: What the heck is this about? I'm going to have to read a few more episodes before I can get a handle on this. What's with all the Wolfmen having sex? and the Nazi lizards???? (I wish I knew how to grey over these sentences...)

Ten Seconders: I had trouble with the last strip and now I'm have trouble with this one.

Dante: Back to something I can get into. A welcome return to the Russian rogue, but he didn't seem to feature much in this week's episode. I do want to hear more of this backstory though.

All in all, a good prog, with a couple of confusing stories in it.

Richard

I can't quite remember, but wasn't Nobby killed in the last Savage story? Or am I imagining it?

,Mr. Nice

Death has never stopped characters reappearing in a Mill's strip before ;) .

The Adventurer

*pulls out his copy of the Savage GN*

Nope. Noddy's very alive.

THIS SPACE INTENTIONALLY LEFT BLANK

Proudhuff

Liked the cover but bad news in the Damage report?

Dredd I'm lovin it, so many story threads what a marvelous tapestry Wagner is weaving. The art is still a shock on the first page but is so well done it works.

Savage: nice touch with the rubbish/bin lorry, That seated comic, hope noone trims that frame so it looks like a knob gag!
Rest of the story great, I metioned the Milliverse tie-in last week and here it is again, still can't imagine how Savage sneeks that gun around! I still like B&W art, it seems to make the artist work harder at story telling.

Dead Eyes: Still in Crisis flashback, not a bad thing but I'm frightened it will all become a bit Icke-ian, I generally second Bad Andy comments above, oh and is that Mr Toad I see? Parp, parp!!

Ten Seconders Enjoyed the story and artwork here, hopefully there will be a bit of 'Basil' soon so the back story is filled in.

Dante: hmmmm, never been a fav of mine, too many people pop up with so much baggage etc, still over all a cracking prog, roll on next Monday

BioHuffard
DDT did a job on me

DavidXBrunt

The fact that one of the Fargo's has an olfactory gift might imply that they will help track the crims and help make mutatants acceptable - as long as they have cool, usefull mutations. I'm sure there'll be a twist along the way though.

Roger Godpleton

Cover: Inoffensive, but it doesn't really leap out at you from the newsstands. OK Stuff.

Dredd: I guess that the main problem with this is that Total War aren't as fun as PJ. Whilst I  wouldn't say that the art detracts from the story, but it definitely doesn't add much. I think the bodies in the dumpster are just some random kids in order to show how ruthless TW are. Could they be the kids from After the Bombs? Excellent but not essential script. Very Good Stuff.

Savage: Still doesn't feel like we've really got into the story yet, but an interesting set up nonetheless. Good Stuff.

Dead Eyes: I hope we're not going to get any more Nazis, froggy or not. J Smith always gets the beginnings right, I just hope we get a decent pay off at the end. Great Stuff.

Ten Seconders: Nice art, shame about the script. Cliched bondage vampires FTW. OK Stuff.

Dante: Very interesting, I wonder if this sets up which side Jena is going to be on when the shit hits the fan? I'm going to go out on a limb here and predict that Jena will swerve us and off Elena in front of Nikolai in an attempt to finally drive a wedge between them. Very Good Stuff.
He's only trying to be what following how his dreams make you wanna be, man!

Slippery PD

Dredd's very interesting, the bastard child of Sin City and Origins, even the overtly cartoon art doesnt distract from the great script.

Savage is savage.  Interesting like to ABC.  

Dead Eyes is like the 1990's didnt happen.  Im hoping that the reliable but weird Mr Smith can pull it from Crisis Land with an interesting twist.  

Ten Seconders is a reasonable offering.  But Ive had enough of goth vampire stuff.

Dante was just wow! great stuff and very little Dante.  This is what we want, to see Jenna's backstory and her and Elena becoming friends.  Of course in Dante that only ends in tragedy, cant help but think Morrison is heading towards Dante sitting on the Tsars throne.  A lonely and bitter man.  

radiator

I see Dante has finally got round to building up his own army to overthrow the Tsar with (something he vowed to do right at the beginning of the whole saga).

JTurner

Huff - I havn't read Ike, but I have heard of his lizard paranoia.

What with the references to freemasonry I think were in for one of those conspiracy theory on acid type stories.
The splash page was certainly impressive, but all of the people seem very static - a hangover from the art style. The story (and dialogue) are also still walking on the fence between interesting and pish.

Also, why the Aztec stylings on those beasties? A reference to the Aztecs predictions of the end of the world? They didn't particualrly sit well with the Ike-Nazis.

Rest of the prog was ace. Dante is as great as always, and I love the tangents that the story takes.

Loved Dom's art on 10 seconders. It'll do him some good to get away from the Cabs B/W.