Main Menu

PROG 1594: BRING OUT YOUR DEAD- SPOILERS

Started by Mardroid, 05 July, 2008, 05:35:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mardroid

Cover- The perspective gives Defoe a bit of an egg-head look, but I like the dark humour. Atmospheric night scene too, interesting palette.

Dredd-  Good as always. More resolution and [spoiler]Ramos attempting to do the right thing[/spoiler].

Defoe-  A slow but enjoyable burn. Quite literally in places (har har.) I'm a bit puzzled as to why they had to destroy the skull and do that gruesome ritual with the link-boy. Destroying the skulls stopped the fire-reeks. I guess the link boy was to start things in motion in the first place? Not sure what the preacher took out of him, an egg, or just some of his innards. (They mentioned an egg, but thought that might just be a metaphor. And there are flying guys now. Vizards. And a female on the team I didn't notice before. Besides Elektra I mean. ;)  She's well disguised in her outfit.  And was that "He's just a hack!" another poke at those who criticize Mill's latest work, or am I being paranoid?   I'm liking this  though.

The Vort- Good continuation. Did they ever explain who that strange looking alien scout was (the one who referred to Crispy as a freak)? Those froggies didn't look particularly young mind, but I think I might have been looking wrong. They, and the landscape, are so alien it's difficult to interpret things sometimes. That's not a criticism of D'Israeli's work though. Weird doesn't mean bad.

Sinister/Dexter-  Great continuation. I had a look back at some old progs and I realize now the Zlick being interviewed by Moses isn't the same as the one they're working for. I kind of missed that first time round, but I think that was the scripts intention so I don't too feel dumb about it. Notice that familiar 'cock up ' line? That's really familiar, but it skips my memory where I heard it. I remember "We're not at home to Mr Cock-up" or something like that.

Dante-  More strangeness. Sexy flying. I liked the little bit at the end. (Not the nudity... well...maybe that a bit... but the... oh you'll see.)

Steve Green

One of Baldrick's lines in Blackadder IIRC.

Leigh S

Quote from: "Chris Mardle"And there are flying guys now. Vizards.

Loved this weeks, but the Vizards seem to contradict what was established in the first series - that the powers that be were trying to disguise any supernatural aid?  There was that whole speil where the Hooke was scared that the common people would see wizardry in Newtons flying machine, and here we get to see the Vizards (mentioned in the first part), and they are flying people!  Seemed strange.

Mardroid

Quote from: "Steve ^McWild^ Green"One of Baldrick's lines in Blackadder IIRC.
Thats the one. Thank you!

[Carl]

To mention Dante, I see that The Watchmen make a guest appearance in the stadium! How long before we see Dredd on the council? I think it's getting closer and closer each week..

IndigoPrime

QuoteHow long before we see Dredd on the council? I think it's getting closer and closer each week..
I'll actually by disappointed if that doesn't happen this time. Clearly, Dredd's avoided the responsibility of a de-facto senior position for too long, and many of those taking said positions have been corrupt. In this case, the street Judge on the council is dodgy, and so surely Dredd is an obvious replacement. Personally, I hope Hershey orders him to take a place on the council, even if he spends much of his time out of the office, so to speak.

Robin Low

Quote from: "IndigoPrime"
QuoteHow long before we see Dredd on the council? I think it's getting closer and closer each week..
I'll actually by disappointed if that doesn't happen this time. Clearly, Dredd's avoided the responsibility of a de-facto senior position for too long, and many of those taking said positions have been corrupt. In this case, the street Judge on the council is dodgy, and so surely Dredd is an obvious replacement. Personally, I hope Hershey orders him to take a place on the council, even if he spends much of his time out of the office, so to speak.

How often does the Council meet? How much office-work does it involve? It might be impractical for Dredd to take the position and continue as a street Judge. I suppose he could get Logan to deal with that side of things for him.

However, would the rest of the Council actually want him on it? They might not want someone so inflexible and forceful in the group - they might as well just let him run the whole show himself. Conversely, it might be a politically astute move to force him onto the Council. Take him off the streets, make him less of a presence, and the power of his threat of resignation when he can't get what he wants is lessened.

What might be interesting is a replacement who thinks Dredd has been going soft. I'm assuming that Fargo's last words to Dredd remain unfinished business for Dredd, with the mutant thing being just a first step, so someone in power resistant to Dredd's concerns could be an interesting angle for the series.

Regards

Robin

Dark Jimbo

It'd be nice to see Dredd buried in paperwork. For years he's been running about grandly proclaiming 'The law must be changed!' whenever a case of his brings to light a flaw or discrepancy, with nary a thought for the poor judges in admin who have to actually make that a reality as a result of his interference.
@jamesfeistdraws

Leigh S

With Dredds mutant Laws causing such a fuss within and without the Department, wouldn't his appointment now be that much more controversial?  Which could be even more reason to do it!

Hoagy

Hey Carl? How are you ? Why don't you introduce yourself? :D
"bULLshit Mr Hand man!"
"Man, you come right out of a comic book. "
Previously Krombasher.

https://www.deviantart.com/fantasticabstract

Pete Wells

Another smashing prog.

Cover - Meh.

Dredd - Exciting stuff though I was suprised to read that it's the last part next week. I hoped for a bigger send off for Old Thatcher Face Edgar. I'm sure there's gonna be a woppa of a scandal next week though, surely Edgar wouldn't just go for Ramos. I hope it spawns another multi-part, Dreddverse shaking story. Great art by 'Team Goddard' and script by the master.

Defoe - Hmmm, this has lost me a bit now. Vizards?

The Vort - Continues to intrigue. Oh and really Veldt is a nasty piece of work.

Sin Dex - More like Dim Dex this week. If someone's voice is different and they don't recognise someone who they saw a coupla hours before, surely you would instantly suss that something wasn't right. Still, enjoyable fluff.

Nikolai - Great stuff. I cetainly don't mind all the Iraq parallels though I do get slightly cheesed off at the Marvel/Watchmen ones. Jason Futura looks like a bit of a shithouse doesn't he? The childish Pete stiffled a giggle as Futura told the naked people to "Release the White", bloody pervert! Cracking script and art.

In all, after the minor blip, 2008 continues to be an amazing year for Thrill Power. Go Tharg!

Richard

QuoteIt'd be nice to see Dredd buried in paperwork.

It wouldn't be very interesting though.

Dark Jimbo

Quote from: "Richard"
QuoteIt'd be nice to see Dredd buried in paperwork.

It wouldn't be very interesting though.

But it would be hilarious. All day long the radio sat on Dredd's desk would be crackling with action - 'Item - multi-mopad pile-up on Wyndham boulevard!' 'Item - Dark Judges on loose, fatalities in the thousands and rising! All judges respond immediate!' 'Item - Sov wetworks asassin loose in Academy, threatning to blow the place sky high!'  'Item - troggie raiding parties coming up from Undercity, all central sectors!'

And there's Dredd, massive frame hunched over a mountain of tax forms, grinding his teeth in frustration as he listens, trying to work out why he keeps getting a remainder left over every time he attempts to calculate the latest month's expense claims.
@jamesfeistdraws

El Spurioso

...so that's 1 panel's worth of funny.  What happens for the next 29?

And the next episode?

And the next X years' worth of episodes?

Trout

Okay, here's my first go at the new forum (which I'm finding hard to read, due to its trendy but unfriendly blackness).

I enjoyed the prog hugely.

My favourite element of it is definitely Dredd, which is keeping me guessing in the way only John Wagner can. I also love the art, and would ask Tharg to keep that sort of standard of artist on Dredd stories.

Also chuntering along nicely are Dante, the Vort and Defore, and  - although I'm not a SinDex fan - I am, at least, reading it and understanding what's going on.

I'm a happy reader.

- Trout