Main Menu

Question about publishing fan fiction... and how to avoid Imperial Entanglements

Started by Graham Pearce, 18 November, 2009, 06:00:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Graham Pearce

I've got a question about the legal implications of publishing fan fiction.

I have an idea for a story set in a certain galaxy far, far away but I was wondering how I can best tell that story without incurring the wrath of George Lucas and his Imperial lawyers.

In terms of breaching any existing copyright, at what point am I getting into hot water?
Can I print my story as a comic and sell it?
Can I print my story as a comic and give it away?
Can I publish the story online and let people read it for free.

any thoughts?

Graham
Twitter: @mrgrahampearce
www.sgtmikebattle.co.uk

Mike Gloady

I'd make a presumption of "no" if you're going to SELL anything.  As for the others while they certainly seem ok, I'd check. 

Maybe the Star Wars website might be a good place to go.  THere's no shortage of fan films out there, and Lucas seems to even endorse many of these to some degree.
New in town?  Follow this link for a guide to the Greatest Threads Ever

locustsofdeath!

Bolt and his Lordship are probably best to answer this question, but I'd assume mIke is right - don't accept a penny for the work.

It's similar to films - if it's a parody, you can go for it, but otherwise, no deal. I do know Lucas is pretty cool about people setting films, fanfiction and comics in the Star Wars galaxy...of course as long as they don't make money.

Mike Gloady

At least not without them paying rent for the toys he's built.  That's why the likes of Dark Horse etc spend so much on licensing a property.

Bolt 01 & His Lordship Rac would definitely be good folks to talk to.  If they don't show up here under their own steam in a day or two, pop them a PM.  I'm sure they'd be happy to offer their perspective. 

It's probable, however, that the guys at the official Star Wars site probably have a forum and I'm sure that someone there will be happy to answer your more specific questions....

TordelBack

Yakface.com generates a metric ton of 'serious' SW photonovels each week, Darths&Droids webcomic does huge reader numbers, TheForce.Net (and its forums) plays host to a million podcasts, fanfilms and fan fictions, the Star Wars RPG and Minis communities produce glossy maps, PDF sourcebooks and customs,  and Lucas doesn't bat an eyelid - in fact his guys tend to participate openly and warmly in fan community endeavours.  Lucas is particularly forgiving of parody, even pretty savage attacks on his flannelly self, which he appears to see as proof of having 'arrived' in popular culture - a sensible point of view.  He's basically a very generous host when it comes to his IP.

However, try to make 1p over your costs out of this stuff and you will have a Cease and Desist order form LFL's lawyers before you can blink.  And rightly so - licensees have paid fortunes to sell their wares under the Star Wars logo, and allowing others to compete with them without that handicap would be bad business.

Graham Pearce

thats for the replies. You've all pretty much confirmed my own suspicions about getting into trouble the second that you make 1 penny from the work. I've been trying to find somewhere that clearly states what you can and cant get away with in fan fiction but its such a murky area. The story that I want to tell is not quite a parody but it's not 100% serious either.

I suppose the best thing to do is give it away as a printed comic or post it in colour online.
Twitter: @mrgrahampearce
www.sgtmikebattle.co.uk

Mike Gloady

Good luck.

Just remember, we don't have Lucas' lawyers here, but we DO have evil black magic, Zombo and, er, not much else.  You will fell their full effects if you don't post a url for this when it's done. 

Richmond Clements

vzzbux

Just drop your cargo and jump to hyperspace. But this may incur the wrath of the Hutts.

V
Drokking since 1972

Peace is a lie, there's only passion.
Through passion, I gain strength.
Through strength I gain power.
Through power, I gain victory.
Through victory, my chains are broken.

Emperor

Given the number of people who have "written" my life/reality I have had to largely conclude that a significant portion of it is as good as open-source collaborative meta-fiction. Just remember: it is all fun and games until the nuns try and murder you, so I would recommend people proceed with caution - tread carefully, lest you trample on my life (or even get me assassinated).

Or I've misunderstood the question.
if I went 'round saying I was an Emperor just because some moistened bint had lobbed a scimitar at me, they'd put me away!

Fractal Friction | Tumblr | Google+

Bolt-01

Yeah, what they all said.

That is pretty much the deal with Rebellion- they are cool for us to do the comics, as long as we don't try to make any money from it. Like THAT will ever happen.

Remember folks- Zarjaz and FQP title are all going to be available at Thought Bubble- and if you miss out they are all available through the website and blog.